Hereditary is a proper horror movie though. In the same way, say, The Exorcist is. Psychological thrillers can fit inside the large horror subgenres box, it's quite permissable.

Incidentally, I too laughed at the ending of Hereditary, with the kneeling headless worshippers. In fact I remember guffawing an outburst at it in the living room amongst our viewing guests. I'm pretty sure the absurdity was intended there. And I thought that final send off was wicked! It made the movie for me.

The real horror for me and there was one moment is when the child went into anaphylaxis shock from Having seen it before 

to me the devil whorship was a red herring. 

Now yes the Exorcist is on a level of its own. Its visceral soul crunching and devastating. Being a parent unable to stop your child's suffer would be horrible.

That Joe didn't like Hereditary is fine. That he continually points to the lack of physical attractiveness in the cast as one of the film's major flaws is a bit of a puzzler, but not entirely surprising I guess...

Also, the granddaughter's appearance clearly plays a big role for the film's tone. An adorable Shirley Temple obviously would not have worked nearly as well.

12 hours ago, KK said:

That Joe didn't like Hereditary is fine. That he continually points to the lack of physical attractiveness in the cast as one of the film's major flaws is a bit of a puzzler, but not entirely surprising I guess...

Also, the granddaughter's appearance clearly plays a big role for the film's tone. An adorable Shirley Temple obviously would not have worked nearly as well.

Its an inside joke that you could not understand and I never said it was a major flaw. Where  do you get that? I just pointed out the truth.  Strange you think an attractive (or at least a not unattractive) child wouldn't  have worked well as the future demon. However Im fine that you like it. But my reasonings that it is a bad film are just as valid as yours, Jason's, and Alex's that it is a good one. Alex hyperbole towards the film actually falls into ridiculousness. 

On 6/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, KK said:

Ha, ha! If that's the case, then Joe would hate THE NAME OF OF ROSE :lol:, the ugliest film I have ever seen - and I mean that as a great compliment.

Looks really good! I'm intrigued. 

And as a note, interesting to see them advertising him as the director of The Last Jedi. I'm glad they did, because with the way a lot of people unfortunately feel about him now, hesitating to acknowledge The Last Jedi would kind of feel weak and overly cautious. I smiled when I saw that come up, and I thought something like, "You go get 'em, Rian!". Of course, I loved it and I can't wait to see Knives Out.

If people here genuinely believe that a Shawn the Sheep movie could be for them, they need to re-evaluate their life. If you haven't seen the television series before, just check out an episode. It's patently pre-school. There's a reason it was only on very early in the morning.

20 hours ago, Quintus said:

If people here genuinely believe that a Shawn the Sheep movie could be for them, they need to re-evaluate their life. If you haven't seen the television series before, just check out an episode. It's patently pre-school. There's a reason it was only on very early in the morning.

The Shaun the Sheep Movie is a wonderful film. Different strokes for different folks, and all that?

I think you’re just being disagreeable on purpose. As usual. 

Is the new Mulan going to be a musical as well? Judging by the trailer, it doesn’t look like the sort of film that’ll suit “I'll Make a Man Out of You”.

From what's been said, the pc police have made sure this is a more straight forward telling of the legend because the animated film offended our Chinese and Hun friends.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Is the new Mulan going to be a musical as well? Judging by the trailer, it doesn’t look like the sort of film that’ll suit “I'll Make a Man Out of You”.

Will they rerecord Jerry's score?

eh, we'll see.

I've heard it will be a more traditional sounding score as far as early Asian music goes. Don't know how accurate that is though.

Judging from the trailer, this actually looks very promising.

I like how Disney is really leaning into the classic samurai film angle with this one:

B674CE3C-C6D5-4692-A927-BE1708389E17.jpeg

D7199766-BEB8-4A18-B61B-8EBB0C3C352A.jpeg

Lots of really nice wide shots, definitely some Kurosawa influence here. 

On 7/12/2019 at 6:48 AM, Alexcremers said:

David Fincher and Gary Oldman to make a biopic for Netflix about Citizen Kane screenwriter Herman Manckiewicz.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/david-fincher-gary-oldman-herman-makiewicz-biopic-netflix-1203263923/

Long live Netflix!

Sounds very dull.

9 hours ago, The Original said:

Is this like that 1932 movie?

Tod Browning's FREAKS is among the most beautiful, uplifting, deeply moving, and human films, ever made.

No wonder Hollywood banned it for thirty years.

That's what happens when you kill off all the likeable chara... vast majority of characters even. Only direction left is a shitty prequel!

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's explosions that are dull, Joe.

Most films I watch are not about explosions, nor are they about boring people writing a screenplay.  

Fincher should go back to making Madonna videos. Its the best thing he ever did.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

That's what happens when you kill off all the likeable chara... vast majority of characters even. Only direction left is a shitty prequel!

Yea man I loved the first Kingsman, but the second was such a disappointment, and this just looks like Matthew Vaughn isn't a director to be excited about any more

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

A long haired batman? So he's a hippy. What's next a hipster batman with a man bun?

It's Bluntman and Chronic, Joe.