Relatable and potentially satisfying for broad audiences but off-putting to Alexcremers because he doesn't identify with prominent parental themes in movies and is apathetic towards children in general.

5 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

First trailer was kind of cringey but this is more interesting.  Max Richter's presence is a plus.

Richter hasn't produced interesting music in some time, but he does know how to make a film work.

New trailer for this film is much more promising than the last Gravity-knock off impression.

To add more cringe into your day, look no further than...

I was way ahead of ya Stu!  

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Oh, come on! They could easily zhuzh it up.

(deep Zimmer noises w/ frenzied percussion) Bwaaam, Bwaaaaam, bwamm bwamm bwamm bwamm bwamm....

3 hours ago, KK said:

To add more cringe into your day, look no further than...

Are they serious?  The kind of sustained insanity needed to make something like this is next level.

Plus, the music sounds so-so.

26 minutes ago, John said:

You guys check out the new trailer for the Top Gun sequel? Looks great!

Wow I hadn't seen that.  Looks better than it has any right to be!  Crazy that it hasn't gotten more attention here on the forum.

I never saw Top Gun as a kid, finally saw it sometime during college or maybe right after.  I didn't get the hype or why so many people talked about it all the time, I thought it was terrible.  Then, a year or two ago, I watched it again, because Marcy had never seen it.  At least this time it was in nice HD on our nice TV, and not VHS on a crummy college CRT.  Would that make the difference?  No, I still thought it was absolutely terrible.  I still don't really understand why its remained so popular; I guess it's a right place, right time kinda thing

I've never seen it, but I'd imagine it was popular because of the coolness factor and I'd guess no Hollywood film prior to that featured such realistic depictions of actors playing pilots flying state-of-the-art fighter jets.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I still don't really understand why its remained so popular; I guess it's a right place, right time kinda thing

It does capture the zeitgeist of the '80s like no other movie. I guess that is its importance. But do I have to care?

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wonder what pop artists they recruit for the soundtrack.  Do they go for 80s nostalgia or try to be current?

My guess is it will be current rap music and maybe something by Beyoncé.

It was a popular movie and it had "migs" against F-14's. Its not a bad film in anyway. It has great aerial actions. 

Count me in on any film with real aircraft carrier action.

13 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

No, but it's not a remake. The '80s are over, Drax.

Sure, but I have a hard time imagining songs from da hood used for fighter pilots and jets... unless it was Will Smith!

Rock is dead.

Other possibilities:

- Hans Zimmer clone for fighter jets scenes. Rap music for bar & bedroom scenes.

- Tom Cruise, the nostalgist, could be carrying a cassette with him that says: "Awesome Mix Vol.3"

- Roland TR-808 'music'

On the Top Gun: Maverick trailer — did anyone else get Star Wars sequel trilogy teaser trailer vibes? Flying fast and low over the desert... a character asking the protagonist the big existential question that underpins the entire plot... even the contemplative piano notes sounding out the main theme at the very end... that’s so TFA teaser to my eyes and ears, with a little TROS thrown in.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

army-of-the-dead-cast.jpg

Cast of Army Of The Dead (Zack Snyder)

"There are no handcuffs on me at all with this one...I thought this was a good palate cleanser to really dig in with both hands and make something fun and epic and crazy and bonkers in the best possible way...I love to honor canon and the works of art, but this is the opportunity to find a purely joyful way to express myself though a genre. It will be the most kick-ass, self-aware -- but not in a wink-to-the-camera way -- balls-to-the-wall zombie freakshow that anyone has ever seen. No one's ever let me completely loose [like this]." - Zack Snyder