1 minute ago, Romão said:

Rumor is that it will be one long, continuous take, ala Birdman. No idea how true that is

Now it's getting more interesting!

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

Aren’t all war films at this point?

Dunkirk didn't feel like an ordinary war movie to me.

I get why films and their marketing drastically scramble to not offend, but do people not understand that the film industry operates on its own plane of existence separate from mass shootings? Why would anyone blame a production company for advertising something due to poor timing? Release dates are planned far in advance.

Gangster Squad was completely hacked up and they filmed a new ending. Phone Booth was delayed about a year.

14 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I get why films and their marketing drastically scramble to not offend, but do people not understand that the film industry operates on its own plane of existence separate from mass shootings?

Well it does and it doesn’t, movies don’t exist in a vacuum. I don’t think it’s necessarily about blaming filmmakers for exploiting tragedies (although at this point it’s not unlikely that someone could make a movie commenting on/satirizing mass shootings and have it coincidentally come out the same weekend as yet another one...) But you do just get these moments where, bottom line, someone’s chosen subject matter and imagery that happens to be exactly what people don’t want to see.

But in a lot of these cases I don’t know that the movies would have been such smash hits anyway. How many people were so ecstatic for Gangster Squad pre-Aurora?

I’m speaking strictly from an artistic merit POV. Why would I blame someone for making a movie that just so happens to resemble something that just occurred in real life? There’s no direct correlation. Gangster Squad’s climactic shootout just so happened to occur in a movie theater. If you delay the film to save face in the public conscious that’s fine, but completely rewriting and shooting the end of a film?

Anyone else going to see the Downton Abbey movie next month with their retired parents?  It's very charming, ever since they retired mine spend every evening watching the British shows that come on PBS.

Well watch that at home eventually. But actually, that's a good idea, Marcy's mom likes that show... 

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyone else going to see the Downton Abbey movie next month with their retired parents?  It's very charming, ever since they retired mine spend every evening watching the British shows that come on PBS.

Will we finally see it Downtown?

Netflix to release 10 films in theaters this fall, ahead of their streaming debuts

• The Laundromat
    Sept. 7th (theatrical), Oct. 18th (Netflix)
  • Dolemite Is My Name
    Oct. 4th (theatrical); Oct. 25th (Netflix)
  • The King
    Oct. 11th (theatrical); Nov. 1st (Netflix)
  • The Irishman
    Nov. 1st (theatrical); Nov. 27th (Netflix)
  • Earthquake Bird
    Nov. 1st (theatrical); Nov. 15th (Netflix)
  • Marriage Story
    Nov. 6th (theatrical); Dec. 6th (Netflix)
  • Klaus
    Nov. 8th (theatrical); Nov. 15th (Netflix)
  • I Lost My Body
    Nov. 15th (theatrical); Nov. 29th (Netflix)
  • Atlantics
    Nov. 15th (theatrical); Nov. 29th (Netflix)
  • The Two Popes
    Nov. 27th (theatrical); Dec. 20th (Netflix)

The Laundromat is Steven Soderbergh’s new film, Marriage Story is Noah Baumbach’s