Indiana Jones trilogy - Cue Titles and fan-made recordings

Jay

Ok, I gave it a try with the Sweetener. I supposed that it's unused, and it was meant to bridge 2M3 to 2M4. If any of this hypothesis is wrong, then what follows has to be re-discussed.

I calculated the timing of the first bar from the final Sitar phrase. I got a tempo of about 45.

Now, assuming what I said before, the formula becomes 60 x S = 45 x 3, that is S = 2,25. EDIT - Wrong timing. See a few posts below.

Thus I imagine that, had I guess everything about the Sweetener position, it would be between 2 and 3 seconds long. If the Sweetener was supposed to go, i.e., between 2M2 and 2M3 that would radically change things, though.

Matteo

Thanks Matteo, that is great. Your approximate timings are good enough for me :)

You're welcome. Have you figured out what's that thing on the first page of the 11M1 insert? I think the actual insert we are talking about starts at page 2, but I have no audio file available to check it. I think that the first page contains another (alas!) unreadable insert to the same cue...

Matteo

I'll PM you a dvd rip of the water sequence from the film, and the lego file when I find it

In the meantime, can you confirm that Water! on the concord set completely matched the 11m1 sheet music we have, and doesnt contain any of the 11m1 insert?

I'll PM you a dvd rip of the water sequence from the film, and the lego file when I find it

In the meantime, can you confirm that Water! on the concord set completely matches the 11m1 sheet music we have, and doesnt contain any of the 11m1 insert?

Yes, it does. "Water!" is 11M1 without the insert (or inserts?).

And that's all for today... and what a busy day it's been! So many mysteries solved (or almost): "Mola Ram's Speech/The Black Potion", "A Child Returns", "Out of Fuel/Down the Snowbank", the Sankrit ceremonies and now "Water Music"...

Let's hope tomorrow we will come out with the final missing details, but as of now I cannot guarantee my presence here for tomorrow night. There's a nice football match (Inter vs. Juventus), and maybe I'll watch that. Oh well, at least I could sing Sanskrit while the game is going on... :)

Matteo

Dang I was hoping to get an approx guess on how long "11m1 Insert" was..... oh well have a great night!

I can do that. It doesn't take me a lot of time.

Stay tuned...

Matteo

Just in time for the holidays, here is an MP3 of "A Tribute to Vermin" (1M4):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GM5TCT19

And my half-baked attempt at creating a midi file, although the MP3 is much better:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D5KQF3NR

The original cue (in the movie) lasts around 1:00, mine is about 4:00. I took the original 36 measures, which has a repeat of 20 of those measures for a grand total of 56 measures used in the movie...you get those first 56 measures fairly close to the tempo in the movie, and then about 2:30 of what the little group may have played if Indy and Lao Che hadn't shot up the joint.

ALSO: The movie recording doesn't really have anything but lounge-lizard-piano, so no bass and drums...my addition of these in the MP3 was merely a personal choice. The midi file, however, omits the drums for the first 56 measures. I'm also aware that my piano style is a little later than 1930s, but oh well.

Our good luck made me check this one... There was a mistake, I remembered the wrong formula. The actual one (the one that WORKS) is

60:S = T:B (or, better to see, S:60 = B:T).

So, for the Water! insert...

I used as the tempo measurement unit the one used for the original cue and for the insert, that is the half note (not the quarter note). I got, for 2 original 3/2 beats:

5 : 60 = 6 : T, that is T = 72 (half = 72)

For the insert I counted 16 2/2 bars plus an octave note. I counted therefore 16,125 bars.

S : 60 = 16,125 : 72, that is S = 13,4375.

Let's assume the insert is about 13,5 seconds, ok?

As for the other time calculations (they DID seem too long to me)...

"Exchange of Glances": between 10 and 15 seconds (I got 12,5 seconds, but there are many approximations).

"Snowbank Sweetener": surprisingly enough, I get the same result: 2,25 seconds, or better between 2 and 3 seconds.

Mistakes are quite likely, of course, because I'm very tired now.

Matteo

That makes sense, since my posts a few posts above indicated about 11 seconds in the film where different than the album version. Nice!

And my half-baked attempt at creating a midi file, although the MP3 is much better:

The original cue (in the movie) lasts around 1:00, mine is about 4:00. I took the original 36 measures, which has a repeat of 20 of those measures for a grand total of 56 measures used in the movie...you get those first 56 measures fairly close to the tempo in the movie, and then about 2:30 of what the little group may have played if Indy and Lao Che hadn't shot up the joint.

ALSO: The movie recording doesn't really have anything but lounge-lizard-piano, so no bass and drums...my addition of these in the MP3 was merely a personal choice. The midi file, however, omits the drums for the first 56 measures. I'm also aware that my piano style is a little later than 1930s, but oh well.

Other samples!!! Yay!!!

Now it's only a matter of time before we have a virtually complete ToD edition... :lol:

Matteo

airmanjerm, that MP3 is AMAZING!!! Great, great work!

And kudos to John Williams for writing such a jazzy little piece that he knew would barely be heard in the film anyway. I love it!

(ps - I think it's A Tribute to Vernon, referring to Vernon Duke)

That makes sense, since my posts a few posts above indicated about 11 seconds in the film where different than the album version. Nice!

airmanjerm, that MP3 is AMAZING!!! Great, great work!

And kudos to John Williams for writing such a jazzy little piece that he knew would barely be heard in the film anyway. I love it!

(ps - I think it's A Tribute to Vernon, referring to Vernon Duke)

Thanks!

And that's funny about Vermin/Vernon.....you're right, but I never actually looked that closely at the title...somebody somewhere on here put that in a post (probably as a joke) and I guess I got it stuck in my head

Jason, could you possibly PM me any of the Lego recordings? I'd be interested to see what those sound like, since the last video game I had of Indiana Jones went a little like this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uKI7J0pdr4

(Thanks!)

Do you want ALL the lego files, or just the TOD ones, or just the TOD ones that contain music not on the Concord set?

Do you want ALL the lego files, or just the TOD ones, or just the TOD ones that contain music not on the Concord set?

I want the MOTHER LODE! (lol)

No, that's probably too much work, so how about the TOD ones not on the Concord set? That would be awesome.

Thanks!

It's no work at all, just didn't know how long you wanted to sit there downloading :lol:

There's 841 megs of music included in the game

It's no work at all, just didn't know how long you wanted to sit there downloading :lol:

There's 841 megs of music included in the game

Wow!

Well if it's no trouble at all, then sure I'll take the complete lot. That's awesome, thanks!

"A Tribute to Vernon" is just fantastic -- thanks so much for posting this! However, there seems to be a digital error at 1:31 in the file. Is that something that's fixable on your end? Not to sound ungrateful... :lol:

Yes it is awesome, I am completely addicted to it!

If anybody else wants to try their hand at it, don't feel like you shouldn't just because one's already been posted! The more versions of everything the better! I especially can't wait to hear people's mockups of Willy In The Fryer!

PS If anyone wants to tell me approx times for 7m1a, 7m2, 9m1x, and the percussion sweeteners, they are the only ?'s left on my complete cue list that's about to get uploaded to the main site :lol:

somebody somewhere on here put that in a post (probably as a joke) and I guess I got it stuck in my head

That was me :lol: but it was never a joke though, you only have to listen to the track in the film and read a little of the wiki bio to join the dots.

The sketch/lead-sheet even indicates for an elegant piano of 1928 (I think??)

Good work on the track you recorded!!

"A Tribute to Vernon" is just fantastic -- thanks so much for posting this! However, there seems to be a digital error at 1:31 in the file. Is that something that's fixable on your end? Not to sound ungrateful... :lol:

Wow I can't believe you caught that! Yes, my bass player got lost looking at that old JW manuscript and I had to splice two takes together, both of which were three-level multitracks... at work I have to use GarageBand since I only have Logic on my home computer. GarageBand is nice and all, but sometimes it does little things like that.

I'll try to see if I can fix that next week when I get back to the office, but the bass player will be on tour I think, so I'll tinker around and see what I can do.

Yes it is awesome, I am completely addicted to it!

If anybody else wants to try their hand at it, don't feel like you shouldn't just because one's already been posted! The more versions of everything the better! I especially can't wait to hear people's mockups of Willy In The Fryer!

PS If anyone wants to tell me approx times for 7m1a, 7m2, 9m1x, and the percussion sweeteners, they are the only ?'s left on my complete cue list that's about to get uploaded to the main site :lol:

We have to do some calculations for the ending of 7M1A, if I recall correctly... But if you look above the staves JW kindly wrote the exact timing of the cue (there are long arrows with a number like ":42" at the end...)

Matteo

Great job!

However, there is a mistake, I think. the first note from the second mesure is a D not C (you can hear it in the film version). so the melody is

I hadn't had time to record a version. I hope I can soon

All right, Jason, I did my homework. :lol:

All timestamps are referred to the DVD rip you gave me. I couldn't listen to the Lego files, it seemed that WMP wasn't able to open them, so I had to work extremely hard throughout the water sounds.

Here is the breakdown:

start-0.23: 11M1 "Water Music" bars 7-25 (Concord D2 T19 0.11-0.32);

0.23-0.34: 11M1 insert pages 2-3. It seems that the 2nd bar from the 3rd page was cut from the movie (it's just the same horn phrase from the previous bar repeated by the trumpets);

0.34-end: 11M1 "Water Music" bars 32-71 (Concord D2 T19 0.44-end).

11M1 insert 4th page contains only a bar meant to link the insert back into the original cue.

11M1 insert 1st page contains a quick sketch of the whole insert. I don't know if it features all of the instrument used, but definitely the brass melody is the same (there's the cut bar as well :lol: ).

Matteo

If anyone wants to tell me approx times for 7m1a, 7m2, 9m1x, and the percussion sweeteners, they are the only ?'s left on my complete cue list that's about to get uploaded to the main site :lol:

We have to do some calculations for the ending of 7M1A, if I recall correctly... But if you look above the staves JW kindly wrote the exact timing of the cue (there are long arrows with a number like ":42" at the end...)

Matteo

Yes 7m1a indicates that it is 3:07 through the first 17 bars, but then there is no more time stamp on the remaining 81 bars

7m2 indicates that it is 1:52 through the first 39 bars, but then there is no more time stamp on the remaining 8 bars

9m1x indicates that it is 1:11 through the first 23 bars, but then there is no time stamp for bar 24. I used 1:15 as the approx time for the cue list.

All right, Jason, I did my homework. :lol:

All timestamps are referred to the DVD rip you gave me. I couldn't listen to the Lego files, it seemed that WMP wasn't able to open them, so I had to work extremely hard throughout the water sounds.

Here is the breakdown:

start-0.23: 11M1 "Water Music" bars 7-25 (Concord D2 T19 0.11-0.32);

0.23-0.34: 11M1 insert pages 2-3. It seems that the 2nd bar from the 3rd page was cut from the movie (it's just the same horn phrase from the previous bar repeated by the trumpets);

0.34-end: 11M1 "Water Music" bars 32-71 (Concord D2 T19 0.44-end).

11M1 insert 4th page contains only a bar meant to link the insert back into the original cue.

11M1 insert 1st page contains a quick sketch of the whole insert. I don't know if it features all of the instrument used, but definitely the brass melody is the same (there's the cut bar as well :P ).

Matteo

Just download and use WinAmp to listen to / convert to wav OGG files. WinAmp is a much better mp3 player than WMP any day of the week anyway! :lol:

Hey you're right, the first page of 11m1 Insert is just a sketch of the entire thing, and pages 2-4 is the "normal" 11m1 Insert. Nice!

Thanks!

I read "Finger Cym.", so I assume it's "Finger Cymbals"... Other thoughts?

Matteo

EDIT - Finger Cymbals exist... Article on Wikipedia

Ah yes. That looks right to me. Thanks!

Well, this has already been cleared up, but just wanted to mention that the only sound from the score that is not represented in that demo of "Entrance..." is the bell tree. For some reason, my sample of that has disappeared, now I must go in search of it. There's no General Midi equivalent, :gasp:

JW uses a lot of bell tree, finger cymbals, triangle, etc. in this TOD score, as well as lots of shrieking piccolos and strings...it definitely gives the music a very unique sound: it's "almost" ethnic, without actually using too many of what we would call "ethnic" instruments. (The tabla, finger cymbals, etc. could be considered ethnic, but they have been so common in western music for so long now that they're really not all that foreign.) Then, when it counts, we get instruments like sitar and Japanese Drums, along with extended harmonic and performance techniques. He's done that a lot...even the original score of "Cantina Band" calls for melodic "Boo Bams" haha!

I'm rambling...it's 0820 here on the West Coast...

ALSO: Glad you guys liked "Vernon," thanks for all the posts about it.

Great job!

However, there is a mistake, I think. the first note from the second mesure is a D not C (you can hear it in the film version). so the melody is

Hey good catch! I have to admit it looks a LOT like a C in the second measure (and the 10th, where it is repeated).

Wow, I've counted off points on students' theory homework for such un-obvious notes. (haha)

I can fix that on monday when I get to my office, won't take but a minute. :lol:

Airmanjerm, I am unable to open your Finale files because I have Finale 2008, not Finale Allegro. Do you suppose there is any way you could post screenshots of "The Entrance of the Boy King" pages, or something like that? There are many many places where I would like a second opinion on what exactly is written :P Thanks!

Airmanjerm, I am unable to open your Finale files because I have Finale 2008, not Finale Allegro. Do you suppose there is any way you could post screenshots of "The Entrance of the Boy King" pages, or something like that? There are many many places where I would like a second opinion on what exactly is written :P Thanks!

Colin,

The file is Finale 2009, not Allegro...I think posting shots of the Finale file would be the same as posting shots of the original, which isn't allowed on this board...not that I mind, but somebody here more familiar with board policies can possibly chime in on that? (Not trying to be a party-pooper, just don't want to overstep the policies!)

Ok. I've had more spare time today than yesterday, so I went through the Sanskrit chants again and figured them out. This breakdown is, in my opinion, more accurate and more definitive than the previous ones. For this one I used all the information we gathered after the writing of the first breakdown (such as 7M1 is actually "The Temple of Doom" or that the glissando in the second edit is taken from 7M1A). I will not repeat here how the original cue sound: if you're looking for that, read one of my posts on page 3. Here you can only find approximately how the film edits were made up from the original cues (and thus what parts of the unreleased original cues we can hear in the film).

The reference for the breakdown are the files contained in Jason's editing package. I'm going to refer to sections from cue 7M1 by using track timings from Concord D2 T13. Sections from all the other cues will be referred to using bar numbers, as we don't know exactly how long those cues are (and I think it's no use for any of you to read that a certain section was taken from, say, 1.56-2.33 of a yet-to-be-heard cue...).

“First Ceremony ('Sanscrit Ceremony' Film Edit 1)” breakdown:

• start-0.13: 6M3 “The Walls Come Down” (aka "Bug Tunnel/Death Trap", Concord D2 T10) closing bars, mixed with percussions from 7M1 “Sanskrit Sacrifice” (aka "The Temple of Doom", Concord D2 T13) 1.21-1.30.
  • 0.13-0.21: 7M1 0.14-0.21.
  • 0.22-0.49: 7M1 0.08-0.35.
  • 0.49-1.14: 7M1 0.46-1.11.
  • 1.14-1.34: 7M1 1.34-1.42 looped several times.
  • 1.34-1.57: this could be part of the beginning of 7M1A “Sacrifice Sweetener” (bars 2-4), mixed at the end with 7M1 1.37-1.43.
  • 1.57-2.22: 7M1 0.16-0.41.
  • 2.22-2.35: 7M1 0.46-0.59.
  • 2.35-3.02: music too quiet and too many sound effects here. I think the first part is from 7M1 (0.59-1.17) and the second part is from 7M1A (bar 12 and maybe previous ones).
  • 3.02-3.20: 7M1A bars 15-17, possibly stretched. The percussions under the choir could be tracked from 7M1 1.34-1.42 and looped.
  • 3.20-4.04: similar to 7M1A bars 18-33 (the choir differs).
  • 4.04-4.25: 7M1 2.13-2.28, with some loops.
  • 4.25-4.44: 7M1 2.34-end, looped and heavily sped up. This is when 7M1 is supposed to end.
  • 4.44-4.52: sound effects.
  • 4.52-5.30: 7M1 0.16-0.45, mixed with 7M1A already heard at 3.02-3.13 of this film rip.
  • 5.30-5.33: 7M1 2.17-2.20 overlaps 7M2 bars 29-30 (7M2 is recognizable by the bell strokes after the choir phrases).
  • 5.33-6.34: 7M2 “More Sacrifice” bars 31-47 (this is how 7M2 ends).
  • 6.34-7.07: 7M2 already heard at 5.41-6.17 of this film rip.
  • 7.07-end: 7M3 “Approaching the Stones” (Concord D2 T11) opening bars.

“A True Believer/The Black Sleep of Kali/Second Ceremony ('Sanskrit Ceremony' Film Edit 2)” breakdown:

• start-0.04: 7M4-8M1 “Slave Children” (aka “Children in Chains", Concord D2 T12) closing bars.
  • 0.04-0.14: 7M4-8M1 insert (alternate ending).
  • 0.14-2.53: 8M2 “Mola Ram’s Speech” (aka “A True Believer”).
  • 2.53-5.41: 8M3 “The Black Potion” (aka “The Black Sleep of Kali”).
  • 5.41-5.46: 7M1 1.35-1.40.
  • 5.46-6.14: 7M1 0.08-0.21 looped two times.
  • 6.14-6.36: 7M1 0.21-0.33 looped two times, the second of which is a little edited.
  • 6.36-7.15: 7M1 0.33-1.12.
  • 7.15-7.31: 7M1A bar 5 (based on the track timings Williams wrote in the cue sheet; these opening bars from 7M1A have no tempo indications).
  • 7.31-7.40: edited from 7M1 1.28-1.43.
  • 7.40-8.18: 7M1 1.43-2.21.
  • 8.18-end: 9M1 “Short Round Escapes” (Concord D2 T14) opening bars.

“Willie Into the Pit ('Sanskrit Ceremony' Film Edit 3)/Indy Wakes Up” breakdown:

• start-0.01: 9M1 closing bars.
  • 0.01-0.05: sound effects.
  • 0.05-0.28: 7M1 1.54-2.21.
  • 0.28-0.40: 7M1 2.17-2.21 looped three times.
  • 0.40-0.46: 7M1 2.21-2.27.
  • 0.46-1.16: 9M2 “Willie in the Fryer” bars 23-38.
  • 1.16-1.36: 9M2 “Willie in the Fryer” bars 38-52, mixed with 7M1 2.28-end (with looped sections; it’s possible to hear the final shriek).
  • 1.36-end: 9M3 “Saving Willie” (Concord D2 T15) opening bars.

Matteo

Matteo, that is AWESOME stuff! Thanks!

So 9m1x is not used in the film at all?

I think not. It's a very particular cue: the canon chant and the long section without the choir set it apart from the other Sanskrit cues. But I think that Spielberg liked the 7M1 version the most, and decided to use that one in all the scenes.

... but, who knows? All these cues use almost the same orchestration, and the choirs sings the same chants. Maybe the "GHO-ram SUN-da-ram" section from 9M1x was used, but as it is almost identical to the same section in 7M1 they DO sound the same and I noted it as taken from 7M1... The only way to resolve this issue would be to create MIDI mock-ups for these cues, but it'd be a very difficult task, as they employ singers from all registers and exotic percussions. Plus, we don't know the exact tempo (in particular, when to increase and when to decrease speed)...

Ah. It must be very helpful. So, did you solve every mystery revolving around this score? And I do not wish to sound greedy, but would one mind sending me this music?

Actually not. Sure, we have discovered many things that helped us to better understand how this score was originally envisioned by Williams, how it was modified with the addition of inserts and rewritten cues, how much of this music has been used in the film and how much has been released. But other issues have come forefront.

The most important of all, very note-worthy, is the 11M3 cue, which we titled "On the Rope Bridge" or "Bridge Percussions". It appears it wasn't recorded along with most of the cues, or even it wasn't written by Williams himself. This is a debatable conclusion, as the slate number "11M3" is missing from the sheet

music we have (maybe the guy who scanned the partition forgot to upload the PDF file); on the other hand Williams doesn't use certain slate numbers when it's clear that the related scene is going to have music not recorded in that particular session, i.e. tracked music (be sure to check RotS complete cue list along with slate numbers, and you will understand what I mean). So, in a way, this is a mistery that not only wasn't solved by the discovery of the sheet music, but was actually highlighted by it.

Oh, and by the way... Why "Finale" (aka "Return to the Village") is marked as 12M2 while the "End Credits" as 12M5?!? Another mystery...

Matteo

P.S. - Another mystery is soon to be solved: I'm doing some approximations to get some other track timings... More on the way.

Here's my assumption for the track timings of the Sanskrit cues.

Both 7M1 and 7M1A end with a mounting "GHO-ram SUN-da-ram" chant. In 7M1 48 bars are used for this, in 7M1A 44 bars. If we assume that the speed increase is the same (a very loose assumption, as there are big differences between the two melody lines; nonetheless, rhythm is substantially the same, and my guess about speed is based on this last element), then we could assume that those 4 missing bars create a time difference of about 6 seconds (1,5 seconds per bar). We get from this comparison that 7M1A ending bars (from 18 to the end) last about 1.06.

Then, 7M1A lasts approximately 4.13 (surprisingly enough, way more than 7M1, but we could have already guessed it).

Now, about 7M2... We have track timings written down by Williams until bar 39. But we DO know from the DVD rip how much the remaining bars last (about 40 seconds).

Then 7M2 lasts approximately 2.33.

Concerning the "Percussion Sweetener"s... well, if we assume that they were to be inserted in the slower parts of the Sanskrit cues (such as the "Ooh"s and the "Aah"s sections), then they should last about 3 seconds per beat. That would make them respectively 9, 6 and 6 seconds long (but I wouldn't take that for granted: it's the same issue of the "Snowbank Sweetener"... what if they had to be placed in the quicker sections, which we have just said get to reach even double the speed of the slower sections?).

And wow... what do we get to know here? The intended music for the actual first ceremony sequence, that is 7M1 + 7M1A (I'll exclude 7M2, which I take it was conceived for the denouement of the ceremony), lasts about 2.58 + 4.13 = 7.11, plus all the Sweeteners that had to be inserted. So, "from a certain point of view", it's actually true that Williams wrote for the first ceremony 7 minutes of Sanskrit material, which ended up being edited in different versions for the two sacrifice sequences... :)

There. This is all I can get from the Sanskrit chants. In order to do a complete research of this sub-topic of the ToD score we only lack a translation of the Sanskrit lyrics... Does anyone here know Sanskrit? (We are able to provide the Sanskrit lyrics)

Matteo - phew!!!

Oh, and by the way... Why "Finale" (aka "Return to the Village") is marked as 12M2 while the "End Credits" as 12M5?!? Another mystery...

Actually that's not a mystery at all. It's just because sometimes you have to write cues out of order, and don't know how many cues will come before this one on this particular reel, so you just guess at a number. For example, Crusade Of The Slave Children was given the slate number 9m7/10m1 because while he knew it would be the last cue of reel 9 and the first of reel 10, he didn't know how many cues reel 9 would contain at the time he wrote it, so he just picked a really high number like 7.

Same thing with 12m5. Just wrote it earlier than the other stuff on reel 12 so he just guessed at what number it would be

OK, here is my version of the cue "Entrance of the Boy King". JW's music is sooooo much more complex than mine. Much harder to make a realistic mock-up of.

My tempo is different than the one already posted. Let me know what you think!

"Entrance of the Boy King"

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UU1ZZ610

colin - that is great! I do feel that that is closer to the speed it was probably meant to be played than the first one posted.

Keep em coming everybody!

Also: I think I discovered something new today. I do not believe that 9m1x has anything to do with the ceremony scene between "The Evil Potion" and "Short Round Escapes". I believe that 9m1x is actually an overdub for 9m1 Short Round Escapes. In the film version of that cue you can hear some chanting, as I was following along with 9m1x and it pretty much lines up! The timing notations on the page also line up with the cue, as the overdubs only happen for the first 1:14 or so.

Also, I do not think that the title on the page is "Sanskrit Continued". Can anyone else read this better than me?

9m1xpz6.gif