'Conan the Barbarian' versus 'Total Recall'

Hlao-roo

Schwarzenegger Poll #1  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which main title do you like better?

• 'Conan the Barbarian' (Basil Poledouris)
    • 'Total Recall' (Jerry Goldsmith)

I've conducted this poll before (to baseless accusations from Mr. Cosman that I was snarkily getting in a dig at Goldsmith), but it must have been prior to 2002. So, have at it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love them both, but for my money, Conan's raw energy has the edge. It's a bold sequence with bold music. Total Recall, by contrast, has a less exciting sequence, and the music is more polished and mannered.

I've conducted this poll before (to baseless accusations from Mr. Cosman that I was snarkily getting in a dig at Goldsmith), but it must have been prior to 2002. So, have at it.

I was about to mention that you've made this poll before. :lol:

As for the supposed similarity between these 2 main titles, I've always considered it to be vastly overstated.

Yes the main title from Conan was temp tracked to Recall, yes Jerry uses an aspect of that main title in his own opening music. But the style of the 2 pieces, one being primal and paganistic, the other being avant-garde and high tech makes it that I find them very dissimilar.

Take, however Goldsmith's Main Title from Capricorn One, and compare that to the Main Title from Conan, we get something a little more similar.

I'm sure I pointed that out to you back in the day (without the Youtube links).

I should add, that I have a small stigma against the main title of Total Recall, having nothing ot do with the concept or composition- I first heard it on a Prague Phil compilation, with significantly less electronics, and a less specific sound. This was even before I became a film score fan, and that entire album left an impact on me, and I recall being dissapointed by the original the first time I heard it. Of course, since then, I've become a big fan of the score, but I always feel something's amiss with the main titles. I also have a similar attachment to that album's recordings of The Imperial March, theme from Jurrasic Park, and the end credits from Back to The Future 3. The brass just really did it for me, and still does (Which is ironic, seeing how one of the things I most often disliked about the Prague Phil is the brass).

I should add, that I have a small stigma against the main title of Total Recall, having nothing ot do with the concept or composition- I first heard it on a Prague Phil compilation, with significantly less electronics, and a less specific sound. This was even before I became a film score fan, and that entire album left an impact on me, and I recall being dissapointed by the original the first time I heard it. Of course, since then, I've become a big fan of the score, but I always feel something's amiss with the main titles. I also have a similar attachment to that album's recordings of The Imperial March, theme from Jurrasic Park, and the end credits from Back to The Future 3. The brass just really did it for me, and still does (Which is ironic, seeing how one of the things I most often disliked about the Prague Phil is the brass).

Never heard a re-recording of Total Recall without the synth that really worked, they are such an integral part of the score. Same goes for Basic Instinct re-recordings.

It's a great effin' score. Though it did take me some time to warm to it.

I guess so. I listened to the deluxe version and I found it too long and too repetitive. In result, I gave up after two listenings. I think I should revisit that score, though.

Never heard a re-recording of Total Recall without the synth that really worked, they are such an integral part of the score. Same goes for Basic Instinct re-recordings.

I entirely agree about both scores. And I'm sure I'd agree about the main title in question, it's just that that I listened to that Prague album I found at Tower records for a good year or two before getting another film music CD- it was a landmark CD for me.

And of course publicist is absolutely right, the main titles are a relatively insignificant part of the feast that is Total Recall.

You're right but what I've heard is not very tempting...

You cannot have heard Theology/Civilization and The Search then.

Anyway... Conan is one of the best Poledouris scores and one of the best fantasy/adventure/whatever you may categorise it scores. Total Recall, on the other hand, as I've been saying for a long time, is the single best action score. So as scores go, I'd have to rank it slightly higher based on that classification.

But in both case, the main titles aren't close to the best thing in the score. Total Recall's doesn't even try that though and goes for a dried approach, Conan's does somewhat anticipate the excitement of the score's highlights. So in that case, I might have to go with the Poledouris.

Very tough choice......I have voted for Total Recall, but have difficulty in justifying why....if that makes any sense....

Both scores are top-notch stuff.

F*ck Howard and Zimmer, THIS is how you score big budget action films!

Whoah! That was the first time I have ever heard the score for Total Recall. I really enjoyed the film (for all of its...oddities), but I never knew the score was so awesome. I need to buy the album now....

Conan!

Sorry I just can't get the connection to Goldsmith. I watched Total Recall yesterday and I truely hated all the music from the chase scenes. I know that this style was intentional but I don't like it. besides some nicewide shots of the mars and the generator I didn't like the music atall.

Though I disagree with your sentiment for the most part (I did not like those electronic noises either), I can say that I agree with your signature (wink time). Though I am not sure that I can accurately judge "Conan the Barbarian" as I have only heard fifteen minutes of it on the "Cinemagic" radio station, I remember finding it boring. However, I thought the same when "Cinemagic" played "Theme from Jurassic Park".

Conan!

Sorry I just can't get the connection to Goldsmith. I watched Total Recall yesterday and I truely hated all the music from the chase scenes. I know that this style was intentional but I don't like it. besides some nicewide shots of the mars and the generator I didn't like the music atall.

The point of the music isn't to satisfy the peculiar desires of individual film music fans, but to serve the film. Since nearly every review of the movie seems to have lauding words for the score, it did that just right.

Oh have a lot of music that pleases me. I don't like Goldsmith.. I don't see it as loss. If I don't like the taste of fish and another one does and he tells me: "Oh it is a loss believe me!" it isn't of courseI have other things that please me food/music..

Hmm publicist, you know that I am a filmmusic fan.. hmm dod you really think it is necessary to explain what filmmusic has to do.??

I know what it has to do and I even said.. these musical choices are intentional! failed the movie yes or no.. it isn't music I like. In fact theonly Goldsmith I really like that far are the Gremlins and the first Star Trek movie.

I can't stand all the others I know.. I don't know what it is

I'm not sure if I've encountered this thread in the past, but, for my money, "Conan" is a fine example of a BIG action score, while I'm afraid that "Total Recall" frankly p*sses on just about every action score ever composed. It is simply astonishing, with "The Mutant" being one my top five Goldsmith cues. I really cannot speak too higly of "TC". I love it!

I'm not sure if I've encountered this thread in the past, but, for my money, "Conan" is a fine example of a BIG action score, while I'm afraid that "Total Recall" frankly p*sses on just about every action score ever composed. It is simply astonishing, with "The Mutant" being one my top five Goldsmith cues. I really cannot speak too higly of "T.R.". I love it!