Best scores by top Hollywood orchestrators

Hlao-roo

These are the composers who are/were perhaps known more for their orchestration duties than for their compositional output. Your Mark McKenzies, Conrad Popes, Nicholas Dodds, William Rosses, even your Alexander Courages and Don Davises.

What's your list of top scores to come out of this crowd?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard Pope's Pavilion of Women, or McKenzie's Durango? I've heard good things about both. I think Erik Woods dedicated one of his radio shows to McKenzie awhile back, actually..

Has anyone heard Pope's Pavilion of Women, or McKenzie's Durango? I've heard good things about both. I think Erik Woods dedicated one of his radio shows to McKenzie awhile back, actually..

Pavilion of Women. There is clearly a Williams sound recognizable (or probably, a Pope sound). It's a good score, rather introvert, comparable to George Fenton's Anna and the King.

Herbert Spencer full responsible for Williams' golden age? Not likely.

Most of the scores Herbert worked on involved other orchestrators as well, he wasn't the sole orchestrator utilized during the so-called Williams "golden age".

Before Neil gets it in: Superman The Movie.

Superman IV. :)

Surely you know that Herbert Spencer was fully responsible for Williams's Golden Age.

But on the otherside, if you read the Superman sheet music sketches, you see that all the instruments are notated in the music.

So I can't see why a score like Superman should sounded radically different by an other orchestrator.

The writing of Empire (of the Sun, that is) doesn't differ much from that of Jurassic Park (just to name one). It's only his style that has evolved, nothing to do with orchestrators, because, as many other times stated, all notes are already in the sketches.

The writing of Empire (of the Sun, that is) doesn't differ much from that of Jurassic Park (just to name one). It's only his style that has evolved, nothing to do with orchestrators, because, as many other times stated, all notes are already in the sketches.

It still has not been adequatly proven that his style has evolved, or that it merely changed for the worse.

Alan.

Before Neil gets it in: Superman The Movie.

Superman IV. :)

Surely you know that Herbert Spencer was fully responsible for Williams's Golden Age.

But on the otherside, if you read the Superman sheet music sketches, you see that all the instruments are notated in the music.

So I can't see why a score like Superman should sounded radically different by an other orchestrator.

Yeah, I don't see what's going on. I just said Superman IV is a great score by one of Hollywood's orchestrators.

No mention yet for Hugo Friedhofer in this thread? How VERY dare you!

The Best Years of Our Lives.

:nod:

:devil:

I don't post here a lot, but I this was the first score that came to mind when I saw the thread title. Guess you beat me to it! :lol: A great score for a great film.

I guess it's stating the obvious that one of the most likely recognizable pieces of film (well, television) music ever, the theme to the original Star Trek series, was written by Alexander Courage.

The scores to the shows were corny, as was most of 60s TV, but for the time they were great...in fact I'd put a lot of them up against the crap on TV these days. I was lucky enough to get to study and work with Earle Hagen while he was alive...now there was a guy who wasn't really a Bartok or Strauss of our time, but he was a helluva great composer for TV. I miss those days!

OK GREAT now you've all gone and got me NOSTALGIC. Thanks a lot! :P

For me also Superman The Movie and Aliens (orchestrated by Greig McRitchie).

Ok, I'll repeat myself: