Williams to compose new piece for Obama's Inaugural Ceremony (the Air And Simple Gifts thread)

Ollie

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is going to be closed soon :)

Chris, who is happy about going to have another Williams' piece, even though it will probably be another American-Journey-like stuff.

Cool! Let's hope it's more interesting than that bland Timeless Call stuff.

I wouldn't count on that.

I'm expecting something a bit different than the typical style, considering the instrumentation of the chamber ensemble. I wonder if it will actually be of a more traditional style - not Mozart style, but perhaps Brahms?

I'm expecting something a bit different than the typical style, considering the instrumentation of the chamber ensemble. I wonder if it will actually be of a more traditional style - not Mozart style, but perhaps Brahms?

Celebrate Discovery mixed with Dry Your Tears, Africa...

If this is anywhere near as good as "Dry Your Tears, Afrika," I'll be happy.

His new piece will be played by Mr. Perlman on violin, Mr. Ma on cello, Gabriela Montero on piano and Anthony McGill on clarinet. (Usually at this juncture in previous inaugurations an operatic soloist performs.)

Interesting. I wonder if JW will conduct?

Somehow I don't think it would be appropriate for Williams to compose something along the lines of "Dry You Tears....."

It wouldn't, but it would definitely put the music in the spotlight - otherwise I don't expect media to say a word about it.;)

For the record I've always felt good about being an American

:)

My grandmother was born in Brooklyn. Does it make me American too? ;)

This thread is going to be closed soon :lol:

Now matter how political it is, it shouldn't be. This is very important to Williams fans on both sides already and begs to be discussed.

I myself am very excited.

His new piece will be played by Mr. Perlman on violin, Mr. Ma on cello, Gabriela Montero on piano and Anthony McGill on clarinet. (Usually at this juncture in previous inaugurations an operatic soloist performs.)

That is a fantastic ensemble right there, to state the obvious.

Why would "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" be an influence?

It's going to be a noble "hope for the future " optimistic type of piece.

something like Song for World Peace ,Back to America (Angela's Ashes) ,Hymn to New England...(my favourite type of JW composition )

I'm with Drax. Aussie Aussie Aussie!

What's with some of you? Is it not possible to discuss the music without making a huge melodramatic attempt at keeping other things unsaid?

I'm curious as to how he'll approach it.

Why would "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" be an influence?

Obviously in acknowledgement to his Kenian roots.

That is a fantastic ensemble right there, to state the obvious.

Wow, exciting news!!! Hmmm, I can't believe some people here mention "Dry your Tears, Afrika" and "Angela's Theme" and even the "Russian Theme."

It'll obviously (or hopefully) be like the Prologue to JFK. Obama's been heralded the new black Kennedy, after all. Although I have to confess how Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma will fit into this, I have no idea. :D

Maybe Obama posts on this board!!

Hahaha, that'd be the day. An incumbent president, who, after a hard day in the oval office, kicks back by logging on to jwfan.net. Then we'd have to persuade him to enforce stricter laws on how JW albums should be released in the future.

Hahaha, that'd be the day. An incumbent president, who, after a hard day in the oval office, kicks back by logging on to jwfan.net. Then we'd have to persuade him to enforce stricter laws on what and how JW albums should be released.

That could backfire. He might look in Williams' favour and have complete scores recalled by executive order as they don't fit with the government's new draconian policy of "correct musical journey", and force any future expanded releases to be overseen by Williams himself by micro-editing tracks to death, and shuffling cues around even more until they're barely recognizable.

That's bureaucracy for 'ya.

Hahaha, that'd be the day. An incumbent president, who, after a hard day in the oval office, kicks back by logging on to jwfan.net. Then we'd have to persuade him to enforce stricter laws on what and how JW albums should be released.

That could backfire. He might look in Williams' favour and have complete scores recalled by executive order as they don't fit with the government's new draconian policy of "correct musical journey", and force any future expanded releases to be overseen by Williams himself by micro-editing tracks to death, and shuffling cues around even more until they're barely recognizable.

That's bureaucracy for 'ya.

So? We already have our CDs.

And anyway, President Obama is a jwfan.net member! He's one of us! :D