Williams to compose new piece for Obama's Inaugural Ceremony (the Air And Simple Gifts thread)

Ollie

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was freaking awesome. Wow.

C-SPAN had good sound and was completely silent. If someone captured that one we're set!

The piece was great, I hope we get a signature edition released. Way to go Williams!

That was beautiful. The MSNBC broadcast was clear of talk, and the blips I was getting from the online stream all suppressed themselves during the music. It just seemed too quiet at the beginning, so I hope I didn't boost the volume by too much.

I recorded from TV on ABC HD channel .I'll transfer it to my PC soon.

could there be more Williams music after the speech? there was supposed to be something else than Simple gifts

Fabulous! I hope the sound is good, I have recorded it from several radio stations (some dialogue on them too) and it didn't seem to be direct sound from the musicians but instead taken from the crowd.

Beautiful and moving. :) I am aching to listen to it again. I am happy to read that there are clear recordings. I was watching CNN and that idiot had to start talking in the middle of the piece... :)

That was "simply" gorgeous. If only the Maestro himself had been present!

Isn't it surreal to hear John Williams, having scored so many fictional moments and dramatizations of historical moments, scoring an actual moment in history in real time? Any president blessed, as it were, by the Maestro is one blessed indeed.

That was "simply" gorgeous. If only the Maestro himself had been present!

Isn't it surreal to hear John Williams, having scored so many fictional moments and dramatizations of historical moments, scoring an actual moment in history in real time? Any president blessed, as it were, by the Maestro is one blessed indeed.

It really is surreal - days like today make me proud to be a JWFan!

Really it's such an honor for him.

American Journey! Or something, I'm hearing definite Williams fanfares here!!

I am SO pissed that I had to miss it. =/ Congratulations to President Obama, though, and I'm sure the Williams piece was wonderful. Well, I'd imagine it probably was. Anything's possible, I guess.

Damn, i just arrive home and my sister says they have just played the piece and John Williams was mentioned even in the spanish news.

:) I always miss every mention of him in the TV...

EDIT: it seems to be a great piece. Damn. Is it streaming somewhere????

It was okay, I guess, but not really anything all that special. I was expecting to actually hear a new piece, not just an arrangement.

We were streaming it here at work and it only came through intermittently - a couple bars at a time. It didn't stream smoothly until 2/3 of the way through the speech. Dang!

It was okay, I guess, but not really anything all that special. I was expecting to actually hear a new piece, not just an arrangement.

There was a new piece. Lots of it was based on a new theme by Williams.

The commentator spoke where I was listening. Can't wait for a recording to surface.

Delivered exactly what it promised. Airy, and simple, with the Simple Gifts theme intertwined. Too bad Williams' new solemn theme was repeated like 2-3 times and won't be remembered by a single person leaving the Mall...

Decent recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDUTM3NViHc

It's amusing to watch the media elites make fools of themselves as they snidely needle Williams for supposedly cribbing Copland, when, of course, Copland didn't write a single note of the piece we heard today. The musical bookends by Williams may have been unremarkable, but his work was lovely, as usual, and it dovetailed nicely with the composition's intended centerpiece, "Simple Gifts."