Williams to compose new piece for Obama's Inaugural Ceremony (the Air And Simple Gifts thread)

Ollie

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the quotes? :lol:

I was quoting Con Air. :lol:

"If you can't trust a South American drug lord, who can you trust? ............that was a joke."

"I'm glad you told me."

Hans Zimmer!

Why the quotes? :huh:

I was quoting Con Air. ROTFLMAO

"If you can't trust a South American drug lord, who can you trust? ............that was a joke."

"I'm glad you told me."

Ah, I see. I haven't seen that film, hence my confusion

Yes he is, as is his wife (at least partly). But we should stay on topic.

Judging from the instruments used for th piece we even could get some nice tango or Waltz like piece. How about something like Williams' arrangement of Tango Por Una Cabeza? Or something similar in style to Tale of Victor Navorsky?

I meant the exact slave owners, not just white people ROTFLMAO Nevermind.

Excuse me? I know what slave owners are. Answer stays the same.

• 2 weeks later...
I pity the poor fools going to the inauguration. They say with between 1 and 5 million people there, there will be one toilet for every 6,489 people. That really sucks. Immodium only does half the job.

I have to work the inauguration. All these people paying thousands of dollars a night for a place to stay and willing to sit for hours on some muddy patch of grass in the cold and I'm being forced to be there when I'd rather be at home watching from the comfort of my armchair.

I pity the poor fools going to the inauguration. They say with between 1 and 5 million people there, there will be one toilet for every 6,489 people. That really sucks. Immodium only does half the job.

I have to work the inauguration. All these people paying thousands of dollars a night for a place to stay and willing to sit for hours on some muddy patch of grass in the cold and I'm being forced to be there when I'd rather be at home watching from the comfort of my armchair.

Wow maybe you can meet John Williams :rolleyes:

Wow maybe you can meet John Williams :thumbup:

Already have once, several years ago. Didn't get to say much. Just a handshake and a comment about being a fan, before he moved on to someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
All these people paying thousands of dollars a night for a place to stay and willing to sit for hours on some muddy patch of grass in the cold and I'm being forced to be there when I'd rather be at home watching from the comfort of my armchair.

My mom is thinking about renting out a few rooms in our house for the ceremony. Make thousands of dollars overnight. It's only like a 20-30 minute drive to get to DC.

i'm just hoping that it won't be something like the end of The Return to Bostonn from War of the Worlds. Overly America and cliche

The inaugural ceremony will be televised by HBO. So, take your VCR-DVR handy to record the Williams segment ;)

That's just the inaugural opening ceremony. The Williams piece will be perfomed during the actual inaugural ceremony on Jan. 20th, which will be broadcast on all the major networks.

In January 1953, Copland's "Lincoln Portrait" was scheduled to be performed at Dwight Eisenhower's inaugural concert but was banned at the last minute when an Illinois congressman complained about Copland's liberal politics. Later that year, Copland became a target of Joe McCarthy's Communist witch-hunt.

In time, Copland was "completely rehabilitated," Williams noted, performing at the White House and eventually receiving the Congressional Gold Medal.

;)

In January 1953, Copland's "Lincoln Portrait" was scheduled to be performed at Dwight Eisenhower's inaugural concert but was banned at the last minute when an Illinois congressman complained about Copland's liberal politics. Later that year, Copland became a target of Joe McCarthy's Communist witch-hunt.

In time, Copland was "completely rehabilitated," Williams noted, performing at the White House and eventually receiving the Congressional Gold Medal.

;)

Sarcasm, obviously.

I predict some of the TV presenters will talk during the piece, at least in the beginning, doing some obvious comments on Williams, Ma, Perlman... and the piece itself.

We need to record it from a communicator-free TV channel.

Very interesting approach to the piece. Besides his take on "Simple Gifts," I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the "hymn-like"/"reflective"/"prayerful" theme he composed to bookend it.

I want Williams to compose a really kick-ass, blow-you-out-of-the-water full on 2 hour orchestral score for the inauguration, including WHILE the oath is being given, topped off with a massive triumphant brass blast from the 80s.

That's what I want.

Very interesting approach to the piece. Besides his take on "Simple Gifts," I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the "hymn-like"/"reflective"/"prayerful" theme he composed to bookend it.

It'll be a combination of "Hymn to the Fallen" (from Saving Private Ryan), "Reflections" (from Seven Years in Tibet), and "A Prayer for Peace" (from Munich).

It'll be a combination of "Hymn to the Fallen" (from Saving Private Ryan), "Reflections" (from Seven Years in Tibet), and "A Prayer for Peace" (from Munich).

I'd certainly rather that over another Dry Your Tears, Afrika/The Patriot rehash.

Can't wait to hear this new Williams composition.

Same here.

I devoutly hope that this means that another JW album is forthcoming (in the tradition of Call of the Champions, Summon the Heroes, etc.)...

I predict some of the TV presenters will talk during the piece, at least in the beginning, doing some obvious comments on Williams, Ma, Perlman... and the piece itself.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about... ROTFLMAO

Yes. Or it could be like a combination of "Hymn to the Fallen" (just more heroic instead of sad), "Theme from JFK," and "Seven Years In Tibet" (for the thoughtful, reflective parts)...

Can't wait to hear this new Williams composition.

Same here.

I devoutly hope that this means that another JW album is forthcoming (in the tradition of Call of the Champions, Summon the Heroes, etc.)...

With "Soundings"? ROTFLMAO I agree it's high time we had another of those "All the loose ends you've wanted for years in a $15.00 package" CD releases. At the time of it's release the "Call of the Champions" CD was a dream come true.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about... :spiny:

For those of us in the States, I'd recommend C-SPAN as being the least likely to have chatter over the performance. (Typing this will hopefully remind me to set up my DVR to record Tuesday's festivities.)

Yes. Or it could be like a combination of "Hymn to the Fallen" (just more heroic instead of sad)

Hmm, I've always thought of "Hymn to the Fallen" as a work of solemn exaltation -- I think the point of the piece is more to eulogize than to mourn.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about... :angry:

For those of us in the States, I'd recommend C-SPAN as being the least likely to have chatter over the performance. (Typing this will hopefully remind me to set up my DVR to record Tuesday's festivities.)

actually,why don't you set it now..

I'd certainly rather that over another Dry Your Tears, Afrika/The Patriot rehash.

Off topic aside: did anyone else who watched John Adams think that it was heavily temped with The Patriot? I heard a lot of similar passages.

I doubt another cd is coming

We'll have a partial recording of the piece in low quality with people talking over it

Actually I am quite sure an album will be released... and if Obama is on the cover, it will sell like hot cakes! :(

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about... :(

I'm at work and can't do it from here.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about... :(

I'm at work and can't do it from here.

Tonight, then... :)

Yes. Or it could be like a combination of "Hymn to the Fallen" (just more heroic instead of sad)

Hmm, I've always thought of "Hymn to the Fallen" as a work of solemn exaltation -- I think the point of the piece is more to eulogize than to mourn.

That's very true.

Which is what I recommended several pages ago. Too bad I don't have DVR. :(

The US Studies Centre at Sydney Uni will be holding a public event to showcase the inauguration ceremony this Wednesday. They'll be serving "Obama burgers". I'll forever wonder if they would have served moose burgers if it went the other way around.