Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

MattyO

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Vader's original theme wasn't as good as the Imperial March.

But the storytelling of Star Wars saga is inconsistent now! How will we cope?

Karol

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

So are we to assume that JW is happy with every single theme statement he has ever had to write... ever?

There's no need to assume that he is. He clearly is seriously proud of what he did with Star Wars, enough to feel a certain creative ownership of its musical world and to consider the themes a significant part of his legacy. Which of course links his legacy, to a certain degree, to what others do with his themes in other scores of the franchise. There's a difference between creating something yourself and ending up thinking, "well, this could have been better, but it'll have to do", and between having someone else do part of the work for you and then thinking you could have done better, or even that it's very good but you would have done it differently.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Vader's original theme wasn't as good as the Imperial March.

Yes it was, in the context of the score it was written for. The IM wouldn't fit into the SW score at all.

Well in the latest Powell interview he says that during the process JW actively encouraged him to “do his own thing” and not be so reverent to the existing material. Maybe it depends on who’s at the helm...if it’s a skilled musician JW might be more relaxed about how they handle the material. 

Giacchino should just stick to scoring INCREDIBLES sequels for the rest of his life. John Powell is lightyears better than him, overall; if it weren't for JP being so picky about which projects he takes on (aka which ones he doesn't have a big moral aversion to), he would probably be doing much of the stuff Giacchino has been doing, and more. And get better reviews for it, too.

3 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Giacchino should just stick to scoring INCREDIBLES sequels for the rest of his life. John Powell is lightyears better than him, overall; if it weren't for JP being so picky about which products he takes on (aka which ones he doesn't have a big moral aversion to), he would probably be doing much of the stuff Giacchino has been doing, and more. And get better reviews for it, too.

Almost all of Giacchino's recent output has been well received, you're just delving into a world of 'what ifs' by thinking Powell would've taken those assignments and he didn't because he was 'picky'. Giacchino's relationship with Disney and those directors, and his early video game credits are why he received some of these big scoring gigs, not some convoluted conspiracy.

Jesus Christ, this forum is the world's biggest composer bitching ground, it always has to be some standoff, 'so and so would've been so much better than this dogshit'. 

34 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Almost all of Giacchino's recent output has been well received, you're just delving into a world of 'what ifs' by thinking Powell would've taken those assignments and he didn't because he was 'picky'. Giacchino's relationship with Disney and those directors, and his early video game credits are why he received some of these big scoring gigs, not some convoluted conspiracy.

Jesus Christ, this forum is the world's biggest composer bitching ground, it always has to be some standoff, 'so and so would've been so much better than this dogshit'. 

I couldn't help hearing this post in Tyrus the wrestler's voice on The Greg Gutfeld Show.

3 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I couldn't help hearing this post in Tyrus the wrestler's voice on The Greg Gutfeld Show.

I think that might fit better with Breadstick's post which read like someone bitching about why actors should stick to acting and not delve into politics.

43 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Welcome to JWFan!

There are refreshments at the reception, I'm told.

I always feel like it's a concentrated and concerted effort to espouse the views that Giacchino is the Anti-Christ - even in this resurrected thread for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

I think I'm finally beginning to understand how Zimmer's supporters here feel with the constant slagging. 

John Powell better watch the fuck out, JWFan is here, waiting with baited breath to slag one perceived misstep when handling the precious musical legacy of Star Wars!

7 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I always feel like it's a concentrated and concerted effort to espouse the views that Giacchino is the Anti-Christ - even in this resurrected thread for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

I think I'm finally beginning to understand how Zimmer's supporters here feel with the constant slagging. 

John Powell better watch the fuck out, JWFan is here, waiting with baited breath to slag one perceived misstep when handling the precious musical legacy of Star Wars!

Nobody is forcing you to stay or read anything here. 

I’m sure there’s a Giacchino worshiping corner of the internet if you’d prefer. 

17 minutes ago, Arpy said:

John Powell better watch the fuck out, JWFan is here, waiting with baited breath to slag one perceived misstep when handling the precious musical legacy of Star Wars.

On the flipside, if Powell satiates the needs of the fans and nothing more, he’ll be considered the best thing since sliced Williams...

8 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Nobody is forcing you to stay or read anything here. 

I’m sure there’s a Giacchino worshiping corner of the internet if you’d prefer. 

Oh, geez. It's either one extreme or the other is it?

I don't worship Giacchino, I love quite a few of his scores, but I don't think I'd find a 'Giacchino Worshipping Corner' to my tastes either. 

I shouldn't have to preface this with my declaration for my love of this place, this forum and the people in it. I frequent this place and have had great times reading through threads and learning interesting things here and there. It's just a common occurrence that's got on my nerves that all too often it's a bitchfest (usually concentrated at Giacchino) and a place to slag off composers and say it as if it's a universal truth. 

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

Anti-christ is underrated anyway. :lol:

17 hours ago, MikeH said:

Well in the latest Powell interview he says that during the process JW actively encouraged him to “do his own thing” and not be so reverent to the existing material. Maybe it depends on who’s at the helm...if it’s a skilled musician JW might be more relaxed about how they handle the material. 

Thanks for that, really interesting! I'm so surprised JW was that actively involved. And I hope they'll keep hiring him for SW spinoffs. I too think Powell is vastly superior to Giacchino.

Just now, mrbellamy said:

Says he with Gia-sus in his avatar!

It was a joke avatar I made last year that I can't be bothered to change. :D

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Thanks for that, really interesting! I'm so surprised JW was that actively involved. And I hope they'll keep hiring him for SW spinoffs. I too think Powell is vastly superior to Giacchino.

It does certainly seem that JW was unhappy with Gia’s “effort” with Rogue One. Hope it means he won’t be back for another Star Wars film!

26 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

It does certainly seem that JW was unhappy with Gia’s “effort” with Rogue One. Hope it means he won’t be back for another Star Wars film!

In Gia's defence, wasn't his schedule for that one completely insane? If he just stopped mutilating the sound of his orchestra, though, 50% of my quibles with him would be dealt with.

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

In Gia's defence, wasn't his schedule for that one completely insane? If he just stopped mutilating the sound of his orchestra, though, 50% of my quibles with him would be dealt with.

Did he have much less fine to write the score than JW had on Empire?

Giacchino isn't John Williams, any composer in that tight situation would've been shitting bricks until something made sense. 

31 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Allowed shmallowed, we're getting a John Williams Han Solo theme in two weeks. This is a happy moment.

I'm excited too, just sorry for Powell that he was cock-blocked on this one.

About six weeks. Still, Gia isn't Williams, he doesn't possess the same skill and wasn't planning on scoring the film until he was brought on at the last minute.

As long as I never have to read the headline "Trent Reznor to score Jurassic World 3!", Giacchino can do whatever the frack he pleases as long as I get at least one Powell score per year.

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Williams is a master of the long con. He wanted to expand his "glossary" to include a theme for Han from the beginning, but he didn't know how he'd get the chance, until Disney took over. Being the shrewd old man he is, he knew Desplat's approach would be at odds with Rogue One; it was HE who suggested Giacchino as a replacement. 

All he had to do was wait for his plan to unfold. Giacchino delivered candy-ass pastiche, just as he expected. And just as he expected, he was asked by Kathleen Kennedy of his opinion. "Kathy," he said sweetly, "Michael is a supremely talented young man. But if you'll allow me the arrogance, I have a certain kinship with the Star Wars sound, if you will. Would you give me the humble privelege of selecting the composer for the next film? It's a...Han Solo film, is that right? Which reminds me: whoever I choose, I would like to offer them a slight guiding hand, if you'll allow the suggestion. Perhaps just a small piece of music...."

And we know the rest from there....

4mkV.gif

Karol

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

What sorts of films does this John Powell chap score? I never seem to see them. Is it mostly those crappy Dreamworks computer cartoons?

The Bourne movies is what you’d probably be most familiar with.  Of course that won’t be at all what Solo sounds like

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Bourne movies is what you’d probably be most familiar with.  Of course that won’t be at all what Solo sounds like

I've seen X-Men 3, but I didn't like it as much as John Ottman's "daaaaa... da-da-da-DA-daaaaa... daaaaa... da-da-da-DA-daaaaa... da-da-da-DAAAAA-daaa-DA-daaa-da-daaaaaa..."

• 1 year later...