"A Busy Man" From Star Trek IV

Beowulf

So I was flipping through the TV stations tonight, and lo and behold, I came across Star Trek IV: The Final Frontier, of course as my luck would have it, it was near the end of the film. Anyways, the part that I began to watch was the whole sequence leading up to the confrontation with "God". Now bear in mind, I hadn't seen this film in 7 years or so, and I was quite taken aback by the score at this moment (specifically the track entitled "A Busy Man", as I recently found out).

All I can say is Wow...It is an extremely likable theme, very "romantic" (like the incredible love theme heard in First Knight). It worked beautifully with the film, and was beautiful in and of itself. The soaring strings, the slow brassy entrance of the "Klingon" Theme as the Bird of Prey that no one seems to notice enters, the pan-flute carrying the main theme. I hope we hear some more of this type of music, and the other grandiose sweeping themes we've heard from Goldsmith before in his upcoming endeavor of Nemesis.

BTW....why does everyone seem to view this film (and ST: Insurrection to a point) as the Red-Headed stepchildren of the Star Trek family? I think that they are decent films, and have at their cores a good story to tell, like All Trek Movies. They don't deserve the flak they get!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that score myself (although one or 2 tracks are pretty lame). I used one part of it for a home video (dont tell Jerry) of a visit to Egypt once, showing the massive temple of Abu Simble. It looks fantastic. As for the film, the story was a bit silly really, although i liked the very beginning. I think that because the budget was so low the effects looked utter trash in some scenes and after the beautiful cinematography of wrath of Khan, its hard to view a later film with awful effects. Some bits of it are good (Kirks - i dont want my pain taken away...i NEED my pain ....it makes me who i am etc etc). Points to the resistance in people, and how they feel they ARE their problems or past pains etc. Overall i just think the story was a bit too shallow (meeting god at the end of the galaxy etc). I think Shatner was heavily involved in that one, and it really shows. Luckily we got the Undiscovered Country after that one to rectify the mistake. I'm also one who quite lkes parts of Star trek 7 : Generations. The scene with picard in the nexus and him looking at that christmas bulb, and how he realized it was an illusion . Bit like life.

Anyway. Im rambling. Yes i like Jerry's score for Final frontier :P

The film isn't that bad, I liked the camping scenes. The plot was an interesting idea that would have made a great tv episode but doesn't have enough substance for a movie.

The score is great, and I agree 100% with what you say about it.

I'lll go ahead and disagree with Morn.

I think it did have enough to warrent a movie. None of the tv shows every brought on such a big issue and the movie did carefully.

It was a happy, uplifting movie. With a wonderful end showing the bond; the friendship the people had developed over their years together. Deforest Kelly shall be missed, may he RIP.

And the score is one of the best i have ever heard from Goldsmith. Go get it! Now!

That's why i keep searching for the complete score with no SFX.

Most undeniably the best tracks on the Epic cd are: second half of the main title (Climbing the mountain part) and "A Busy Man"

Lamentable effects, a pretty sappy story, supreme overacting on the part of all but the top billing....yeah, this one deserves the reptutation it got. The score, however, also deserves its reputation as one of Goldsmith's finer moments. It's the first time his patented new four-note ST motif appeared. (And you're right about the best tracks, tharpdevenport.)

- Uni

It's the first time his patented new four-note ST motif appeared.  (And you're right about the best tracks, tharpdevenport.)

- Uni

Are you talking about the 4 note motif in "busy man" that briefly made and appearance in "First Contact"... yeah that is a simple but great bit - i hope he uses it in Nemesis.

It would be nice if Paramount let Shatner go back and redo alot of the visual effects for the DVD 2-disc Special Edition. That might make the film a little more watchable. It has the worst visuals I have seen in years.

Great Goldsmith score though.

As do I, but off course TMP is one of the best scores ever composed, it would be hard to beat by anyone.

Not even Williams has often done better.

Stefancos- who reckons ST: TMP to be one of the top 10 best scores ever.