What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROTFLMAO

Well, whenever you get the chance, definitely check out his scores for Sam Mendes:

Road To Perdition

Revolutionary Road

American Beauty

...and his Frank Darabont scores are also superb:

The Shawshank Redemption

The Green Mile

Don't forget about The Good German, which explores a bit different territory and proves that Newman can do even more than he's normally allowed to. You know, when he's not asked to do "Thomas Newman music". I really hope someone will finally let him do a more traditional orchestral score like that one. That would be something.

Oh, and Angels in America. Very enjoyable album.

You can also check out Little Children. There is some great stuff there.

Karol

I actually look forward to hearing this.

Mao's Last Dancer by Christopher Gordon

Impressive, most impressive. Pity, the album is almost impossible to find. At normal price, that is. Maybe not as memorable, but from technical point of view this is almost Williams calibre.

Karol

I heard a lot about that. I think Dave is a big fan. My brother recently got it for review, and said he absolutely loved it. So I think I need to check it out.

I can tell you all his works I've heard so far are worth checking out. It's not that their so immediately memorable like some works of Williams (who is the exception anyway in that regard), but there is a truly remarkable sense of structure. Mind you, this is film scoring at its most elegant. It is almost like classical music in that sense. I wrote a couple of weeks ago that I probably won't consider Moby Dick to be a truly great score for me. Well, I stand corrected. It is almost like Jaws (the swashbucklking parts, anyway) and Sea Hawk in one. :)

I have yet to hear all of these in the context of their films, but as albums they work beautifully.

Oh, yeah. On the Beach is great too.

Not to mention Daybreakers being already one of my favourites from 2010. Classy stuff.

;) Jaws (Varese)

Karol

Taste the Blood of Dracula

Absolutely perfect for this rainy October day! I just love this score. A lovely robust love theme that contrasts nicely with the Dracula material. I love how the brass for Dracula just oozes malevolent evil.

Anybody else love James Bernard's Hammer scores?

Anybody else love James Bernard's Hammer scores?

:)

In fact Hammer had some wonderful scores by James Bernard and other relatively unsung composers (David Whitaker, for example). James Bernard was in the audience for the very first film music concert I ever attended - the Philharmonia orchestra played a lengthy suite from Taste the Blood of Dracula and, at the end, James Bernard stood up to acknowledge the applause when the presenter announced that he was in the audience. I remember that they dimmed the lights in the concert hall to make it scarier!

Kudos to Hammer also for giving opportunities to plenty of so-called 'serious' composers to write film scores, the likes of Malcolm Williamson and John McCabe, for example.

I have that suite on another Hammer compilation, and it is great! Seeing it performed live must've been phenomenal!

I like some of Harry Robinson's work as well. His Twins of Evil theme is a highpoint of the studio's catalog.

I finally picked up Final Fantasy XIII a couple of weeks ago and have hardly stopped listening to it. It's not quite Uematsu, but it's still bloody wonderful with some great set pieces and action cues. Fighting Fate in particular is amazing, a perfect example of how to do huge and epic without veering into cheese or being too over the top. There's some interesting thematic threads going on to, particularly the main regular battle cue and Lightning's theme being variations on the same piece.

I just listened to The Haunting by Jerry Goldsmith. I think this score is underated and should be one of the top scores that Jerry Goldsmith did. Yes, the movie is not good to a lot of movie lovers, but I like this movie and love the music Jerry brings into it. I wish they would release an Expanded or Complete Set. I love the main theme and Elenor's theme reminds me of Carol Anne's theme in Poltergeist. Great score!

I've been listening to E.T. the Extra Terrestrial......A LOT!

Both 20th Anniversary and the OST.

October always makes me want to listen to E.T.

I love in the movie how it takes place in California...but it doesn't have a feeling of a warm setting. Granted I don't know what Autumn is like in California, but regardless.

:00-:17 from "Bait for E.T." has to be some of my favorite music from the score. I love it.

Any time is perfect to listen to E.T.

Today I've done Raiders, Superman, Gerhardt's Empire, Home Alone and right now Gerhardt Star Wars/Close Encounters. I'm just in the mood for the best of the best.

Creepshow

I'm not a big fan of synth scores, but I find this one very listenable. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's probably my favorite horror film. I just love the tongue in cheek approach.

Back To The Future Part II

I love this score. Like the film, it gets unfairly treated as a rehash of the first one, but it's thrilling. And that theme is so damn versatile that sometimes it's barely recognizable.

Back To The Future Part II

I love this score. Like the film, it gets unfairly treated as a rehash of the first one, but it's thrilling. And that theme is so damn versatile that sometimes it's barely recognizable.

A completely agree. I can't wait for an official release.