'Film Night' at Tanglewood (July 18, 2009)

RonBurbella

I just got the Tanglewood brochure for the 2009 season. This year, FILM NIGHT AT TANGLEWOOD will be on Saturday, July 18th. Here's what the brochure says about the program:

"John Williams returns to lead the Boston Pops and special guests in his annual celebration of music from the movies. This year's program is a tribute to the legacy of Warner Bros. Pictures and will include film and musical excerpts from some of the studio's legendary movies, including selections from Mr. Williams' own scores for Superman and Harry Potter."

So, in addition to Williams' music, I guess there will be lots of Korngold and Steiner.

Ron Burbella

Harry Potter yet again.

I welcome Superman as it is relatively rare now, but as this is a WB tribute maybe we can expect Witches of Eastwick, Artificial Intelligence, Rosewood, JFK, Presumed Innocent, Accidental Tourist and Empire of the Sun.

Could be very interesting...

I wonder if this will become a regular thing (a tribute to each studio). Can't wait for "Williams at Fox" to hear Monsignor and Minority Report.

My guess is:

1st part

Legendary film scores of WB by other composers + Superman Main Title

2nd part

Harry Potter Grand Suite (narrated by Lynn Redgrave)

Encores (E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial + something else)

They just played the HP Grand Suite last year (and have been playing HP at almost every concert in six years)! It's getting old! I'm really hoping for some lesser-known Williams works.

• 5 months later...

Well as this will be the next Williams concert I guess it's time to bump this thread.

Got my ticket but not sure if I'm going yet. Waiting to see if the lesser-known Williams WB scores listed above will be included in the program...

I'm going. Never been before, but what's the situation with seating? Are they provided or do you have to rent lawn chairs?

Depends. Went to Film Night in 2000 and a rehearsal in 2006 - if you're in the shed, seating will be provided. If on the lawn, correct me if I'm wrong anyone as I've never been, you might have to provide your own seating arrangements.

I'd like to go so tempting. Very good excuse to do the Top Gear thing and let out the turbo on my way to Lenox from Canuckistan...

You're much better off getting shed tickets (I noticed they're still available surprisingly). The lawn is not shaped like the Hollywood Bowl, so unless you're right in front, you won't have any direct line of sight. Having to watch on video screens and listen to amplified sound from the back of the lawn defeats the purpose of attending a "live" concert. Plus you never know if it might rain.

• 4 weeks later...

More details of the program revealed in the latest press release. It turns out it won't be a WB-only concert, which diminishes the chances of hearing AI, Accidental Tourist and Empire of the Sun...

SATURDAY, JULY 18 – JOHN WILLIAMS AND THE BOSTON POPS, FILM NIGHT AT TANGLEWOOD, 8:30 P.M., SHED

One of the most popular evenings of each summer’s festival is the lively Film Night at Tanglewood. Boston Pops’ Laureate Conductor John Williams lends his unparalleled expertise to an evening celebrating the colorful legacy of Hollywood’s Warner Brothers dynasty. The evening features excerpts from classic film scores accompanying thematic montages and film clips from some of the studio’s legendary movies including Casablanca and The Seahawk, as well as selections from Williams’ own scores for Superman and Harry Potter.The evening will also include tributes to Errol Flynn, James Dean, and Bette Davis, three of Hollywood’s greatest stars. The evening’s first half will feature selections from popular Williams scores, including Suites from E.T. The Extra-Terestrial and Far and Away.

I'll be attending just to hear the bombastic end of that Far and Away suite live though...

With Frank Lagella as the special guest, I think it would have been cool if John Williams decided to conduct a piece from Dracula. Hm...wait, did John Williams ever make a concert arrangement of anything from Dracula?

Most likely they'll blackout the concert for the radio's streaming broadcast and only broadcast the concert locally (like WCRB does with the Boston concerts).

As for "Dracula", yes that would be nice to hear. If he would have played that along with Jaws, Jurassic Park, Always, 1941, Born on the 4th, etc. the first half could have been a Universal tribute (already have ET and Far and Away).

I'm still hoping for "Accidental Tourist" as an encore during the WB tribute (we already know Harry Potter will be one of them).

Nothing would give me greater joy than in 5 years time a live performance of a Harry Potter suite ending with a really dark, really fantastic, really choral Deathly Hallows concert piece.

wow that version is fantastic! the Bostonians are top notch that night

EDIT: I always have to think of Raider during that part of 3 million lightyears from home :baaa:

Which part (of both)?

Oh awesome! Abandoned & Pursued!!! (the proper version that doesn't launch into that rousing fanfare section too early)

Are there more people listening? EDIT: What have they played so far? Devil's Dance and..?

Why are they performing the slow parts too slow and the fast parts too fast?

EDIT: wow - never heard this before... in-film section or new addition?

I liked the slower "Three Million Light Years". I've never heard that ending to "Abandoned and Pursued" before.

"Stargazers" is fabulous. Needs album release.

There is... ET and Me from 1982 soundtrack album.

I liked the slower "Three Million Light Years". I've never heard that ending to "Abandoned and Pursued" before.

"Stargazers" is fabulous. Needs album release.

I liked it slower, but then again I think it is perfect at its original tempo (at least, as presented on album), and was worried the audience would be a bit bored by it.

good lord I hope someone was on it tonight. *prays Miss Padme was quick thinking*

even if I had been there my new computer can't record live streams anymore. With my old soundcard I could have.

Boy that was awesome! I catched it when the E.T. suite started and I gotta say I loved every bit of that concert. It was the closest thing I'll get to watching a live JW concert, but it was like being there. Fantastic. And the audience seemed preety happy too. Shame he didn't do an additional encore... I was saying "please one more, please one more" but sadly it didn't happen.

I also was hoping an announcement from JM in regards to DH, but I'll guess we'll have to wait a little longer...

Again... AWESOME!

You were there or you listened to it on the internet?

Who's JM?

Why was Frank Langella a guest?

And was Dracula an encore? I don't see it on the program

JW asked Langella I guess, he was narrator of the second half of the program on Warner Bros. films.

Dracula was encore, Langella commented that he asked Williams why he never played it. The Raiders March was the last encore.

You were there or you listened to it on the internet?

I heard it through the live broadcasting. I wish I had been there. Ironcially, part of my family yesterday went to the US, but I couldn't join them... Dammit!

Who's JM?

Sorry, I meant JW (John Williams :mellow: ).

Why was Frank Langella a guest?

I have no idea. JW invited him, other than that I don't know.

And was Dracula an encore? I don't see it on the program

Yes. The complete program was this...

1. Tribute to the Film Composer (arr. Williams)

2. Suite of "Far and Away" (Williams)

County Galway, June 1892 – The Fighting Donnellys –

Joseph and Shannon – Blowin’ Off Steam - Finale

3. Theme from Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Previn, arr. Williams)

violin solo: Tamara Smirnova

4. Devil’s Dance from The Witches of Eastwick (Williams)

5. Suite from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Williams)

- Three Million Light Years from Home

- Stargazers harp solo: Ann Hobson Pilot

- Adventures on Earth

Intermission

A TRIBUTE TO THE CLASSIC FILMS OF WARNER BROS.

6. Suite from The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (Korngold)

7. Jolson, Cagney and Berkeley: The Musicals (Warren/Dubin)

8. Suite from Casablanca (Steiner, arr. Williams)

9. A Tribute to Bette Davis (Theme from Now Voyager)

violin solo: Tamara Smirnova

10. A Tribute to James Dean (Music from East of Eden) (Rosenman)

11. Harry’s Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (Williams)

12. Superman March (Williams)

ENCORES:

1. Suite from Dracula (Williams)

2. Raiders March (Williams)

http://www.bso.org/bso/mods/perf_detail.jsp?pid=prod2880019

It should be noted that Three Million Light Years From Home includes an expanded version of Abandoned and Pursued.

No need to be so smug.

He wasn't, it's against the rules...go read up on them.

Actually, it was very smug. I don't see what else constitutes being smug.

Anyway, I actually spent like 10 minutes trying to find the site's terms and conditions to no avail. I read thoroughly through the special bulletin about talking about leaked stuff etc, and it didn't mention recordings from live concerts, only published CD material. If we're allowed to listen to live streamings of music for free, but people who happen to miss it are forbidden to listen to it 10 minutes later because it's "recorded!!!" then I think the rules of the site should be challenged. But ban me if I'm way out of line.