The 2009 Box Office Thread

John Crichton

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Terminator looks better.

Im not sure which is which.

Terminator looks good enough to me that I'm excited to see it, but not so good that I'll be surprised when and if it sucks. I'm also not a big enough Terminator fan that I'll be upset when and if it sucks.

Now, Star Trek, on the other hand ... I'll be a little heartbroken if that one is bad.

the more I see from the New Star Trek the more I feel that is will be AWESOMELY bad. I'm ready to see Benico Del Toro as Larry Talbot its my focus of 2009 films

who is doing the score for Terminator 4 the Succubus.

well Elfman trumps jablonsky's abilities any day and twice on sunday.

the more I see from the New Star Trek the more I feel that is will be AWESOMELY bad.

I'm hoping that's the badly cut trailers influencing you. Ever since we started to get solid info I've had a very positive feeling about it.

It looks very pretty, and some of it looks like it will be awesome, but it just doesn't really feel like Star Trek yet. Maybe the next trailer will be different.

I'd also like to see some proper in context scenes of Pine and Quinto to get a proper idea. Not that it's that far to the film now.

the more I see from the New Star Trek the more I feel that is will be AWESOMELY bad.

I'm hoping that's the badly cut trailers influencing you. Ever since we started to get solid info I've had a very positive feeling about it.

well you know I'm not a fan of hyper editing, its a major turn off.

Danny Elfman, and he's also scoring the Wolfman film.

Both scores of which I am looking forward to. And I am also eagerly anticipating The Wolfman film, as I liked the original and Andrew Kevin Walker's work on Sleepy Hollow.

And I am also eagerly anticipating The Wolfman film, as I liked the original.

From which Elfman found his theme for Batman. I'll get the score just to see how he handled that.

Elfman did not use the score for the Wolf Man for Batman.....where do you get that.

Nick Im surprised someone of your age would stoop to actually watch an old Universal black and white horror classic, its seems so beneath your generation. ;)

I'm really curious to see how Star Trek turns out, too. I'm certainly hoping for a greatly enjoyable film, and at the very least, it looks like it'll be visually interesting. But whether or not it'll capture the essence of what Star Trek IS remains to be seen. The warp-factor-9 editing and MV-ish trailer music aren't conducive to recognizing that feel, certainly, as you've said. It could go either way. I'll be thrilled if it's indeed a fun flick, but there's been plenty of Star Trek stuff I haven't liked in the past, so it's not like it'd be a first if I disliked it.

Elfman did not use the score for the Wolf Man for Batman.....where do you get that.

There is a passing similarity, but that is about it.

Nick Im surprised someone of your age would stoop to actually watch an old Universal black and white horror classic, its seems so beneath your generation. ;)

I am a stain to my kind!

It is. I've had to work very hard to try to ignore that with the trailers and focus on the little glimpses we are getting.

well I've heard some rumors, and more. Some from standard sources and one unusual source. I must say if true, I'm more anxious than ever to see the film(that doesn't mean I will like it more, or less, but one hopes). I won't even discuss it with my other half so he can be completely surprised.

Live Long and Prosper.

So Koray you're saying that Elfman stole from Skinner, Salter and Previn, to make his score to Batman?

From what I heard Elfman came up with the Batman theme inexplicably during airplane flight.

It is. I've had to work very hard to try to ignore that with the trailers and focus on the little glimpses we are getting.

well I've heard some rumors, and more. Some from standard sources and one unusual source. I must say if true, I'm more anxious than ever to see the film(that doesn't mean I will like it more, or less, but one hopes). I won't even discuss it with my other half so he can be completely surprised.

Live Long and Prosper.

I already know more than I would like, but I'm sure there's still surprises in store. I'm planning on picking up the omnibus (all 4 issues) edition of the comic that's the lead-in to the film from the post-Nemesis Next Gen era when it's released next month.

The new trailer is out this weekend, right?

• 1 month later...

Depends on how many people viewed it.

Actually 35 million ain't that bad for a spinoff. Saturday & Sunday will tell the true story.

I wonder how much damage the leaking did to that film's grosses.

Considering the buzz the bootleg received was mostly negative, I'd say it hurt it.

Actually 35 million ain't that bad for a spinoff. Saturday & Sunday will tell the true story.

Yeah I was wondering why this is being looked at as bad. That's a good opening number

I thought Wolverine was better than the awful X-3

According to my roommate it didn't deserve any of it (and he's a big fan of X-Men and in particular Wolverine). I'll probably check it out when it hits cable, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was surprised by this huge opening.

I love all the various stuff you can look up at Box Office Mojo. Right on the front page you can see that Wolverine's opening was way under X-3 (and Iron Man), and is only the 11th highest May opening weekend. It's good, but not great.

It's gonna drop a like a rock next weekend by around 70% methinks. It'll probably have a 2.0 multiplier, so its final gross will be around $170-175M.

For a spinoff with a $135M production budget, a $30M marketing budget, and a backing movie studio that hasn't seen a true success in four years, it leaves much to be desired.

Despite worries of a workprint that leaked a month ago and generally weak reviews, 20th Century Fox's prequel X-Men Origins: Wolverine, starring Hugh Jackman, brought in an estimated $87 million its opening weekend in over 4,000 theaters, averaging over $21 thousand per site. It is the third-largest opening for a May/summer kick-off blockbuster, surpassing the opening weekend gross of Bryan Singer's X2 six years back (at least based on estimates), but falling short of the openings for Spider-Man and last year's Iron Man.

They're not that pessimistic.

That's because the Hollywood media are much like the Wall Street guys. They live in the moment. In the moment a $35M opening day and $87M opening weekend is FANTASTIC!

But once you figure in all the variables in the equation it is just slightly better than BAD.

Maybe they mean the literal first week of May?

Either way, I hear that this movie is complete trash and FOX doesn't deserve to make any money off of it. Regardless, a $87 mil opening weekend is pretty darn good, as they made back slighty more than half of their budget in the opening weekend. Granted, once Trek comes out next week their numbers will take a dramatic dive, as hype for Trek has grown substantially as its the highest pre-seller so far. I expect Trek to open somewhere in the $90-$100 mil range, leading Paramont to another successful year at the box office.

As for FOX, they just need a new management group that understands the necessity of putting out quality movies instead of crap like Dragonball:Evolution and 12 Rounds to be successful. They're probably putting all their hopes into Avatar, but considering the budget for that film I doubt it will be a money maker in terms of profit.

For a spinoff with a $135M production budget, a $30M marketing budget, and a backing movie studio that hasn't seen a true success in four years, it leaves much to be desired.

Well that's what they get for overspending.

Seriously $87 million is pretty damn good for a spinoff, yeah I'm sure they were hoping for $100+, but the real key is staying power, which I think might be a problem.

That used to define true blockbusters, staying power.

Seriously $87 million is pretty damn good for a spinoff, yeah I'm sure they were hoping for $100+, but the real key is staying power, which I think might be a problem.

I agree...plus I think what will also hurt the sales is those who saw the workprint and decide it's not worth going to see again in theaters with finished effects. No I didn't download it, it's a movie I want to see as a finish product.

That used to define true blockbusters, staying power.

And it's a true shame it's not that way anymore. Movies are about the event now, not about the movie.