The 2009 Box Office Thread

John Crichton

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they show too much clips of Angels and Demons on TV. I feel like I've already seen the film

Yeah I felt the same way seeing all the clips. I saw it tonight and you know a lot going in. Still entertaining though.

The theater we went to for Star Trek today was pretty full for it being the second weekend. I'm glad Star Trek is getting good numbers in return.

Angels and Demons will make more money than Star Trek.

Dan Brown is so 2005.

I was joking.

The theater we went to for Star Trek today was pretty full for it being the second weekend. I'm glad Star Trek is getting good numbers in return.

Yep, it was packed at the showing I went to this afternoon.

DHD, a new favorite early source, has A&D barely beating out Star Trek for #1 this weekend, $48 to $42. BJM will have some more official numbers later. At this rate Trek should pass Wolverine next weekend, even though Wolverine's been out for a week longer.

BOM Estimates show ST will win 43.1M for the weekend. A&D will get 48M.

Actuals will be in Monday. Last weekend Star Trek actuals were 3M higher. So they might be lowballing it again.

And you are correct. A 42.8% drop for a major blockbuster in this day and age is unprecedented. Generally if you're a blockbuster a second week drop has to be at least 50% or higher.

Weekend actuals:

1. Angels & Demons- $46.2 million

2. Star Trek- $43 (!)

3. Wolverine- $14.7

Year to date:

1. Monsters vs. Aliens- $190.7

2. Fast and Furious- $153

3. Wolverine- $151

4. Star Trek- $147.6

Coming this weekend:

Terminator Salvation

Night at the Museum 2

and, er...Dance Flick *groan*

Coming this weekend:

Terminator Salvation

Night at the Museum 2

and, er...Dance Flick *groan*

At least Dance Flick isn't being helmed by the clowns who foisted Date Movie and Meet the Spartans on the general population. The Wayans Brothers know more about humor than Friedberg and Seltzer do.

Midweek Star Trek box office update: Trek moved back into the daily #1 spot on Wednesday (and was #1 for last Saturday and Sunday as well), and has moved into 2nd place for the year, less than $35 million behind Monsters vs. Aliens.

Looks like we have our first upset: Night at the Museum 2 will defeat Terminator Salvation for the #1 spot this weekend, and not by a small amount. Star Trek is currently projected for a solid 3rd, and it looks to be a decent race between Trek and Monsters vs. Aliens to see which will be the first to crack $200 million for the year.

Terminator Salvation is a gigantic failure at the box office. The entire industry expected it to clear $100 million with no difficulty Thursday-Monday, and instead, it's not even going to come close. That is a franchise-killing performance. McG will (thankfully) have a difficult time getting big-budget work after this, and Christian Bale will have a hard time getting a starring role as anyone other than Bruce Wayne.

Thing is, even though all the news stories will say otherwise, Night at the Museum 2's performance isn't overly impressive. It's going to make something like $70 million for the four-day period, but given how well the first movie did ($250 million), the sequel really ought to have done better.

To be honest, I did not really expect the second Night At the Museum to make all too much money. Though I am a bit surprised that Terminator: Salvation is not making more money. Perhaps the failure that is the third one combined with the myriad negative reviews have driven people away....

The first Night At The Museum opened the weekend before Christmas and did most of it's damage there with back to back strong weekends, actually grossing more it's second weekend and doing very strong business in between the two weekends.

I'm somewhat suprised anyone thought a sequel was neccessary.

I cannot believe anyone in the industry actually believed Terminator 4 would gross $100 million it's opening weekend, especially after the disappointing gross of the third film. I don't consider Christian Bale's name to be a huge box office draw.

Terminator Salvation is a gigantic failure at the box office. The entire industry expected it to clear $100 million with no difficulty Thursday-Monday, and instead, it's not even going to come close. That is a franchise-killing performance. McG will (thankfully) have a difficult time getting big-budget work after this, and Christian Bale will have a hard time getting a starring role as anyone other than Bruce Wayne.

Thing is, even though all the news stories will say otherwise, Night at the Museum 2's performance isn't overly impressive. It's going to make something like $70 million for the four-day period, but given how well the first movie did ($250 million), the sequel really ought to have done better.

Terminator Salvation got exactly what it deserved. Its a movie that should never exist. It deserved to fail from the beginning, I could not be more pleased.

They should have stopped after Terminator 1.

No way. Terminator 2 is one of the best sequels ever made... a great movie.

Using an AMC gift card, I saw Terminator Salvation yesterday. The film was a special effects 'fest' with good performances from most of the actors; Bale was excellent as John Connor. I think the camerawork/directing was a bit too wild and crazy during the action scenes. Overall though, Salvation is a worthy addition to the Terminator franchise. I only wish T3 had been...

It's ok. Good action setpieces, great Linda Hamilton performance and a fun villain. But it's overlong, too ponderous and just too self-important for its own good. And Edward Furlong really sucks.

It's ok. Good action setpieces, great Linda Hamilton performance and a fun villain. But it's overlong, too ponderous and just too self-important for its own good. And Edward Furlong really sucks.

sorry Charlie, you're quite wrong. Terminator and Terminator 2 are a great pair.

Both are solid genre films 4 and 4.5 stars.

Terminator 3 is a solid 2.5

Terminator Salvation is a solid 1 star. Sorry Matt, its not a worth entry in this film series.

There are aspects of Terminator Salvation that I like, but it's a terrible movie, and a franchise-killer. Christian Bale is awful, although he's given such non-material to work with that I don't know how he could have been good in the role.

Both The Terminator and Terminator 2 are classics; I rewatched them recently for the first time in years, and was surprised at how well they held up to my memories (especially the first one). Terminator 3 isn't very good, but hell, at least it made the attempt to honor the originals. This new one can't even manage that.

Stick to directing episodes of Chuck, McG.

Actuals Are In: 'Night' at $70.1M, 'Terminator' at $51.9M...

Be interesting to see how Terminator performs in the UK / Ireland when it opens next Thurs.

My little review of TERMINATOR SALVATION:

What the hell?!

Those are the first words to pop in my head after seeing this film. And I don't mean "What the hell?!" as in "wow there was so much crazy stuff going on, what did I just see?!", but more like "wow what was the purpose of this film at all?". This movie is the worst thing I have seen all year. I mean, this was supposed to be the film every TERMINATOR fan has always wanted to see: the future war! But let me just tell you now: the mere glimpses you see in the previous films are way, way better than this film. Let's have a brief rundown of why this movie is horrible:

-Very bad and very thin plot.

-Average to bad acting.

-Cliches up the kazoo.

-Bad soundtrack (and it was by Danny Elfman, too, who I usually like!), except for the all-too-brief quotes of the TERMINATOR theme.

-Lame use of an Arnold cameo.

-Incredibly slow pacing throughout.

-Nothing looks very interesting or visually spectacular.

-Only two action sequences go on for very long. One is very Transformers-esque (meaning you want to scream: it's been done already, recently, and better!), the other is too similar in ways to the final duel in T2.

-Nothing was compelling, nothing felt dramatic. No tension.

-Insulting use of popular quotes from the previous films.

-Didn't care about any of the characters. None were cool, except Kyle Reese, but they never gave him much to do.

-Stupid character of a little girl who is basically a plot device to give main characters useful things, sort of like a Felix The Cat bag, but a person.

... I could go on, but I won't. I think you get the idea. This is the worst summer film I have seen in a long time, and it had very high expectations from a lot of people. The worst thing about the movie is that it was not fun at all. It was painful. And they want to make this into a trilogy? Count me out.

And if this is the Future War... where is all the fighting? Where is all of the suspense? Even terror? No? Proper atmosphere? None of it is there! Which leaves you wondering why they made this and who the film was really for. Gullible fans I guess, but unfortunately that makes me and every other TERMINATOR fan gullible because we have almost all wanted to see what this movie was supposed to be, and no matter what any fan hears or reads, even my review, you will want to see it anyway.

But really, guys. It IS that bad.

People may bash TERMINATOR 3, but it was a masterpiece compared to this outing. At least that movie was fun and exciting, as goofy as it sometimes got.

So, sorry everyone, but this one has killed the franchise for me. No more. I'm sure James Cameron will be pissed if he ever sees it. For those that want a movie version of the Future War that is better, just go to Universal Studios and experience the T2: 3D attraction. It takes you into the future war and is far more exciting than anything presented in this new film. And it has Arnold and was directed by James Cameron! It also features the T-1 Million: a scary spider-like liquid Terminator that has unfairly never been used in the other films. Now there is something that needs to be put on DVD! I can only hope. Because I wouldn't buy or see this new movie again for a penny.

I will list the two strong points of the film:

-Great special effects.

-Great animatronic effects, featuring the last Stan Winston ever did. It's too bad however that this film is dedicated to him. He deserved a better last outing.

Oh dear! Doesn't sound good!

Agree with you re Elfman's score. As a stand alone listening experience it's just unstructured noise, was kind of hoping it would work better and grow on me after seeing the film.

Sorry Joe, T2 is a 3.5 at best.

T3 isn't worth 1.5.

hasta la vista Baby. You will be terminated. Sorry Charlie but you should stick to your tuna commercials. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Transformers 2 will probably do that, although I looked at the comic adaption this weekend and it sucks storywise.

Transformers 2 will probably do that, although I looked at the comic adaption this weekend and it sucks storywise.

Shocked. I repeat I am shocked by such a revelation.

:|

In all seriousness, I found the first one to be pretty harmless entertainment, though the length was excessive, especially considering it took forever for the Transformers to actually appear. I was hoping after Trek that they figured out the first was too long and condensed the story for the new one, but alas I was incorrect. Either way I wasn't seeing it until it reached HBO anyway.

Spielberg productions used to get us teamings like Zemeckis/Gale/Silvestri. How'd we go from that to Bay/Orci & Kurtzman/Jablonsky? Star Trek should be some indication that these Orci and Kurtzman can do good work, though. I don't know what happened with Transformers.

Spielberg productions used to get us teamings like Zemeckis/Gale/Silvestri. How'd we go from that to Bay/Orci & Kurtzman/Jablonsky? Star Trek should be some indication that these Orci and Kurtzman can do good work, though. I don't know what happened with Transformers.

No JJ Abrams or Damon Lindoff. Plus Orci and Kurtzman are Trek fans so they were probably inspired.

Obviously the aggresive UK marketing campaign worked:

Terminator Salvation went straight to the top of the cinema box office at the weekend.

The fourth instalment of the series took almost seven million pounds - making it the biggest film opening in the UK in 2009 so far.

www.skynews.co.uk

:thumbup:

It's also getting positive reviews from the likes of Empire and other press, have to be some back-handers going on here!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Up has become the second movie to cross the $200 million mark for the year, and it might still make a run at Star Trek for the current #1 spot for the year. Right now it looks like Trek is going to finish up somewhere in the $250-275 range, which probably won't be enough to hang on to the top spot.

Balls. I figured this was coming, but still, for another Michael Bay crapfest to beat out the first true mass-appeal Star Trek is disappointing.