• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Back to the Future III by Alan Silvestri. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

a1609833e7a061bba3582110.L.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second one might be considered too much of a rehash, but the third one most assuredly is not.

It does have the theme from the first one, but other than that is it's own seperate score.

It has new themes, a new setting and completely new action music.

5 stars. :devil: I don't own the OST, so I can't judge how it's presented there, but I'm quite familiar with the music and its use in the film, and it just works. Still feels like part of the BTTF musical universe, even though it uses new themes quite a bit. Just pure fun, honestly. A top-notch effort by Silvestri.

I just LOVE it. Can't get enough of it. I'm listening to it right now. :devil:

As for Part II, it does get slightly boring in the middle, and the Main Title/End Credits - what can I say? Wow. Just WOW! :lol:

Got to be the best recording/s of the main theme out there? ;)

a solid 2, not terrible but nothing special either in this oft overrated overly loved non classic.

Good score with some underused themes (like the western theme). 3.5 stars cause I don't like Clara's theme all that much.

I give it 4 stars, a bit cliched on the the western & Indian themes but it does have a lovely theme for Doc & Clara and the 3 train cues are really good.

Sadly I don't care for ZZ Top's song.

I think the cliche nature of the western and Indian themes works. They feel to me like pastiches of the genre that nevertheless fit within the very different sound of other BTTF scores, which is quite an impressive achievement in my book.

I also must say that the harmonica statement of the trilogy's main theme as Marty walks through 1885 Hill Valley...ooh, I get chills. It's such a perfect moment.

3.5. The new western theme is great, worth a half a star. But it's also underused, knocking off half a star.

Pieter, can you do BttF II next? I'm curious to see how the sequels will stack up against each other.

A complete and chronological release would be most welcome

There wasn't too much missing from the OST was there?

I know there's some Saloon background music, and the small "I Hate Manure" section that's unreleased.

I guess there's the bits between The Train Part III and Doc Returns too.

There's a good chunk missing. The prologue is incomplete. All the music between the main title and the "Indians!" cue is missing; the "McFly Farm" cue is missing; the cue from when they're checking out the map at the train station is missing (small cue, but I love that little statement of the Western theme); the festival confrontation is missing, and "Doubleback" was actually cut down for the album (either that, or it's an alternate album version); Marty's showdown with the mirror is missing; the music from when Marty wakes up and finds Doc in the saloon is missing, the countdown is missing; as you said, the cue for Marty's victory is missing; everything between the train scene and the finale cue is also missing.

There's a pretty good boot out there that runs a good half hour longer than the OST. Annoyingly, the music for Doc and Marty looking at the map at the train station is still missing from that one. As far as I know, most everything else is there, right down to a 15-second drum roll used for the starting of the clock.

Does anyone know why the end credits version of Doubleback wasn't on the album (it's not on the boot either)?

Does anyone know why the end credits version of Doubleback wasn't on the album (it's not on the boot either)?

I haven't watced the film in awhile, do the end credits contain the actual song by performed by ZZ Top?

If so it may have been too expensive for Varese to include it on the CD or ZZ Top may have wanted to release the song on their own label.

I haven't watced the film in awhile, do the end credits contain the actual song by performed by ZZ Top?

If so it may have been too expensive for Varese to include it on the CD or ZZ Top may have wanted to release the song on their own label.

Yes it does. The credits are set up similar to how Part I's are., i.e. the first half is a song (in this case "Doubleback") and the second half is score.