Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Pieter Boelen

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Klaus Badelt)  

68 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Saw the first film when it came out, and was annoyed by how synth-heavy the score sounded, and the similarity of the main theme to material from Gladiator. The film and score both felt kind of cheap. But on seeing/hearing 2 and 3, they seemed to have come up with more budget for the films and scores, and I enjoyed them quite a bit more. 3 is my favorite of the films - the complexity of the plot has actually given it more rewatch value for me. And I like the scores for both 2 and 3. They reprise the themes from 1 enough that there's not much reason for me to revisit the actual score for 1.

I only liked the first movie. It was a bit bloated but it was a fun take on the Disney Land ride with memorable characters and lines and it mostly had actual pacing.

The sequels weren't just bloated, they were fatter than Marlon Brando in The Score. It was like being stuck on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride for hours.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

My holy grail would be a proper complete box set for at least 1-3. 

That is one of the saddest things I've ever read on this board.

In terms of films, yeah. The Curse of the Black Pearl is by far the best. Dead Man's Chest by default in second, with At World's End pulling in third. I didn't like the more recent two, but if I had to choose I'd put Dead Men Tell No Tales just above On Stranger Tides. 

22 hours ago, gkgyver said:

That is one of the saddest things I've ever read on this board.

20 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Fuck you too, dickbag. 

gkyver, please discuss the music itself and your personal opinions of it without resorting to attacking other members for holding a opinion different than the one you hold.  Everyone on JWFan is entitled to their own opinions and should be encouraged to share them, and if you don't like that you can take off.

Koray, when another member drops low like that, please stay high yourself rather than increasing the problem with a direct personal attack.  Thank you.

22 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

In terms of films, yeah. The Curse of the Black Pearl is by far the best. Dead Man's Chest by default in second, with At World's End pulling in third. I didn't like the more recent two, but if I had to choose I'd put Dead Men Tell No Tales just above On Stranger Tides. 

I'm not a huge fan of the franchise in general, but I like the original and its two sequels fine. They make a nice trilogy, where the scale and the stakes very naturally become broader from entry to entry. By the end of At World's End, it feels like one grand story that reached its natural conclusion; and I love the bittersweet aspect of the ending. Plus, Geoffrey Rush is a hoot in these!

The other two are kind of like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (and its sequel) in that they are redundant. The story had reached its crescendo and had its coda. There's no need for it to continue any further. 

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'm not a huge fan of the franchise in general, but I like the original and its two sequels fine. They make a nice trilogy, where the scale and the stakes very naturally become broader from entry to entry. By the end of At World's End, it feels like one grand story that reached its natural conclusion; and I love the bittersweet aspect of the ending. Plus, Geoffrey Rush is a hoot in these!

At World's End is my personal favourite out of the three movies. It's very ambitious and complex and abandons every one who doesn't care enough, therefore it's generally not very well recepted, but it still exceeds 99% of the usual blockbuster entertainment. Still, it has the most flawed of the trilogy.

I wouldn't know if its my favourite, but I certainly like it more than Dead Man's Chest. But I'm not terribly enthusiatic of any of the individual entries, really.

The good thing about the first triology is you can see all the money on the screen. They were very expensive movies and they look like very expensive movies. The location shooting helped this tremendously, I think. Not many recent Hollywood blockbusters feel as expensive or expansive as these 3

I know that this scene, for one, was surely a success. I can't think of many composers who have written such baseline effective high-seas reverberation: The part not only at 0:01 (great sound effects!), but the part at 0:49 is very romantic.

The rest of the score though, idk I'd have to take another listen.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

The good thing about the first triology is you can see all the money on the screen. They were very expensive movies and they look like very expensive movies. The location shooting helped this tremendously, I think. Not many recent Hollywood blockbusters feel as expensive or expansive as these 3

Davy Jones is still one of the best special effects characters ever. 

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

Davy Jones is still one of the best special effects characters ever. 

Had me fooled. I left the theater thinking only the tentacles were CGI and the rest was make up. And it still holds up

Gleaning enjoyment from the attractive physical attributes of women in films is perfectly reasonable. Women do the same to attractive men in films. Its only natural.

One can be a defender and advocate for female rights and an admirer of the fine female form.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Gleaning enjoyment from the attractive physical attributes of women in films is perfectly reasonable. Women do the same to attractive men in films. Its only natural.

One can be a defender and advocate for female rights and an admirer of the fine female form.

This is Justin, though...

3 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Keira Knightley's boobs were the best special effects. She's practically flat-chested in real life, but the movie had me fooled into thinking she had a nice set of hooters. And they still hold up.

And this is the type of comment you see at the end of old unbumped threads.

8 hours ago, Romão said:

These films have a natural and dirty look that is often replaced by artificiality and gloss in current blockbusters. Also, the humour is very crude and pirate-y and not adapted to the audience's expectations.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

This is Justin, though...

Sorry if I offended anyone (not really), I just think the special effects of her enhancements were more impressive than the other obvious effects. You didn't notice it.

On 15. März 2019 at 8:58 PM, Jay said:

gkyver, please discuss the music itself and your personal opinions of it without resorting to attacking other members for holding a opinion different than the one you hold.  Everyone on JWFan is entitled to their own opinions and should be encouraged to share them, and if you don't like that you can take off.

Koray, when another member drops low like that, please stay high yourself rather than increasing the problem with a direct personal attack.  Thank you.

First of all, I didn't forbid him his opinion, I said it's sad, which is my opinion, so, spare me the empty virtue signalling.

Second of all, nobody cares.

5 hours ago, John said:

I don't understand why you stick around this place. You never post anything constructive or contributive; you just poke and pry at other members for your own amusement.

When you’re that pathetic you need to do something to make yourself feel better about yourself 

Let not gkgyver's sin be saying things that are unpopular here or expressing opinions that are unpopular here. Everyone gets to speak, even voices that disagree with our own. Any behavior that is permissible in any other member should be allowed to him as well.