Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Pieter Boelen

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Klaus Badelt)  

68 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

It's a mess and it mostly sounds like poo. I give it 2,5 stars, because I have heard worse scores than that, besides I must say I really like the cello solo (expanded into Jack's theme in the second installment) and the love theme. Too bad Bruckheimer insisted on generic MV sound, because Badelt is capable of writing preety good stuff if he is asked to (vide The Time Machine and The Promise).

The Time Machine is really good! I'm stiling waiting for Klaus Badelt to do something as good again.

Have you heard The Promise? I think it's one of the best scores of its year, if not the 00s.

EDIT: You can listen to the theme

And most of the posts complain about synths and multiple composers. You are one that looks beyond those, I know, but I assumed a lot more did as well. Who gives a poo about those? Oh no it has more than one definite composer!!! You think there's 1 director to every film? They have multiple assistant directors.

I genuinly like the first film.

The other 2 had nice stuff in it, but both the story and characters are lacking focus.

I agree. The first film really blew my socks off, and since I'd never really heard an MV score before, I accepted it as something very new to my musical palate and associated it with the awesomeness of the film. Then the sequels came along and blew that all to bits.

I thoroughly enjoy the first two movies, the second actually being my favorite. The third one's a complete mess.

Indeed.

You're not. :P

The second film features Davy Jones, which is great, but it also completely abandons the characters introduced in the first film, instead featuring a group of annoying and unfunny people who have no sense of loyalty whatsoever. The plot lacks any coherent structure, and the supernatural elements are allowed to become a very prominent and accepted fact of life, rather than an unusual twist in an otherwise somewhat realistic pirate film.

Also, Keira looks terrible. Just sayin'.

I dunno, she was (usually) pretty cute in the first one, though a little more meat on her bones certainly wouldn't hurt. But the strongly non-feminine costumes and unattractive hairstyles really did not flatter her in the second and, to some degree, third movies.

I thoroughly enjoy the first two movies, the second actually being my favorite. The third one's a complete mess.

Despite the third being a mess, I still find it highly enjoyable. Not to mention the score is the best of the bunch.

I wish the censor filter would catch words like "good," "bad," "better," "worse," "best," "worst," and so forth.

what would you choose to replace them with? and while you're wishing, let me add "masterpiece".

what would you choose to replace them with? and while you're wishing, let me add "masterpiece".

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but it was also partly serious. My point was that there are way too many conversations around here that can be distilled down to:

"Such-and-such is good."

"No, you're wrong. It's bad."

It assumes that it's possible to objectively evaluate these things for works of art/craft, when in reality, if someone thinks a film/score/cue/composer/whatever is good, in a sense, it is, because it makes at least one person happy. That's really the only criterion for if this sort of thing is good or not. If it brings happiness to some people without giving anyone a good reason to be offended, it is good. And it's fine if some people don't like it, but to say that people who think it's "good" are wrong is just...it doesn't do anyone any good.

I know what you meant thats why I said add "Masterpiece". I may use good bad worse and worst alot, but I keep masterpiece on a short leash.

no Indy I'm not. he's talking about words overused in their description of a film that often cause people to disagree.

I wonder who uses the word masterpiece alot, hmmmm, who could it be, could it be........SATAN. :rolleyes:

No, he's talking about how whether a score is great or not is completely subjective, and that we are dealing with opinions and not facts.

You are talking about saving the highest praise for what is, in one's opinion, only the truly top notch scores so that the praise isn't illegitimized by applying it to scores that don't actually deserve it.

Indy4 is correct. What I'm saying is, I can hardly be upset with someone for thinking that the score to Transformers is a masterpiece, even though I disagree and could probably name some very specific and fairly objective factors that contribute to my opinion. But if I think Raiders is a masterpiece and someone else comes along telling me that I'm wrong and that it's a really "bad" score, that's frustrating, even if they provide lots of reasons.

But if I think Raiders is a masterpiece and someone else comes along telling me that I'm wrong

Only imbeciles would do so!

On the inside, I'm basically inclined to agree...for me, it seems so obvious that it's a great score! But I try to appreciate that others' interests may vary, as you do.

But if I think Raiders is a masterpiece and someone else comes along telling me that I'm wrong

Only imbeciles would do so!

On the inside, I'm basically inclined to agree...for me, it seems so obvious that it's a great score! But I try to appreciate that others' interests may vary, as you do.

"obvious" - there's another word that will start a war some day.

It has a few fun themes. It's not the most thematically or orchestrically complex score, but from time to time, it's a fun listen.

Three stars. It doesn't deserve any more, but any less would not be true of how I feel about it.

If scores were like breakfast cereals, not everyone can be Lucky Charms, Count Dracula, or an expensive crunchy granola sweet cereal. Somebody's gotta be the generic off-brand corn flakes.

If scores were like breakfast cereals, not everyone can be Lucky Charms, Count Dracula, or an expensive crunchy granola sweet cereal. Somebody's gotta be the generic off-brand corn flakes.

Some members here may have an issue with your metaphor, considering corn flakes are healthier than the other cereals you've mentioned, and many here consider the score to Pirates to be physically damaging to the human brain and body. :lol:

Very few things are good for you in excess. Blast "The Enterprise" out of huge speakers right next to you for a few days, and you probably would retain neither your hearing nor any enjoyment of the piece.

True enough.

Not everyone can be Wheaties, or Special K. Somebody's gotta be plain old Corn Flakes.