The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Is there a slight digital pop at 0:24 of Out To Sea in the Decca release of Jaws.

I had to re-buy that album because I misplaced the first one I bought. I got a copy from ebay, and I was listening intently for any issues and I can hear a slight distortion at 0:24 of that cue. There is no visible damage or scratch on the CD. I don't have a ripped version of that album so I don't know if it is a slightly defective pressing or an issue with the actual master tapes.

That cue is on Youtube without the distortion but I don't know if the upload is from the original 1992 album or the Decca one.

There is no identical music between the 1992 release and the Decca release. The original LP was a complete re-recording done with a different orchestra at a different time in a different room than the original film tracks, which were never released before the Decca.

I cannot tell right now if my rip of the Decca track has a pop at 0:24.

Ah, interesting.

So based on the track times, the Youtube version I listened to (without the pop) is from the 1992 version.

On Youtube, I searched for the track with a length similar to the Decca release and it does have the pop at 0:24/0:25 so it seems my CD is OK and the issue is on the masters (or at the very least a defective batch of CDs but that's unlikely)

You have now made me want to track down the 1992 release :)

I'd wait. I think it's very likely a label will release a 2CD set of Jaws this year, with the complete film tracks on one disc and the original LP on the other. The 1992 CD is from the earliest days of CD mastering and doesn't sound very good, and the Decca release seems to be sourced from 2nd or 3rd generation copies of the film cues. Roger posted on the Intrada forum a while back that masters of the film cues in pristine condition exist, so that's why I think they could be working on a definitive release.

Oh great. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I have noticed a sort of dull scratching sound at the start or end of some of the cues in the beginning and end of the album.

And this year is the 40th anniversary so it's a likely time for a rerelease.

I'd wait. I think it's very likely a label will release a 2CD set of Jaws this year, with the complete film tracks on one disc and the original LP on the other. The 1992 CD is from the earliest days of CD mastering and doesn't sound very good, and the Decca release seems to be sourced from 2nd or 3rd generation copies of the film cues. Roger posted on the Intrada forum a while back that masters of the film cues in pristine condition exist, so that's why I think they could be working on a definitive release.

Oooh! Excellent! Let's hope this proves to be true. :)

I'd wait. I think it's very likely a label will release a 2CD set of Jaws this year, with the complete film tracks on one disc and the original LP on the other. (...)

I'll believe it when I'll see it.

:worship:

As I'm in the Jaws world at the moment, I've another question. What compilations have the version of the Jaws theme concert arrangement which quietly fades out at the end instead of the big bombastic finish I usually hear.

:worship:

As I'm in the Jaws world at the moment, I've another question. What compilations have the version of the Jaws theme concert arrangement which quietly fades out at the end instead of the big bombastic finish I usually hear.

Lionheart by Goldsmith. I want it.

But which one do I need to get? One has 9 tracks, another has 15, and then there's the whole volume 2 business...or do I wait for a more complete one?

In the meantime this should help you understand the various Jaws releases

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdGNPOTdQMHhnVWtPdXNfXzN6V0FKNmc&output=html

How can a JW version be in the same line with a McNeely re-recording?

So if I understand, it compares the music as it is "wrote", and not actual "recordings".

Well, that's a very strange way to analyze these "recordings".

You put on a same line, a cue (that is, correct me if I'm wrong, specific to the recording sessions) and recordings that are not from the same recording session.. Well, you can't compare apples and oranges.

I saw a similar sheet for E.T. days ago and I wonder about the actual relevance of it.

I find this method really questionable and I wonder if its really help a newbie to understand that the original LP/CD of Jaws contains totally different versions from the cues that can be heard in the movie and the 2000 CD.

I don't see the problem. Jason's breakdown just looks at the different releases and how they relate to the original written cues. Nothing too confusing about it. He clearly marks the re-recordings as re-recordings. The notes explain that the original album released in 1975 expands the cues from the film considerably and you can see McNeely re-recording stays true to the film versions.

I do not know if a complete newbie to Jaws score could make his way through it but I certainly do not have any problem.

Inky, always trying to be nice... Go wild for once in your life! Curse, fart, burp! Let it all out, Inky!

I AM only a nice guy in a wide world after all.

I certainly not a newbie to Jaws but I've only ever listened to the Decca album and not the recordings by Williams and McNeely. But I can understand the spreadsheet perfectly.

Sorry, I didn't speak about you specifically.

All I was saying is there's surely a better way to organize such sheet to show all the info about the music composed AND the different recordings.

Well then you can go ahead and make one yourself, sir!

The rest of us are fine with what I did.

I see something like this:

# Recording date Studio Performers Cue from rec. sessions Album date Album Track Track name Track length
1 1975? ??? ??? 1m1 Jaws Titles 2000 25th Anniversary Decca 01A [0:00-0:55] Main Title and First Victim 00:55
1 1975? ??? ??? ??? 1975 Original Soundtrack LP Re-Recording 1 Main Title (Theme From "Jaws") 02:12
1 2000? ??? ??? ??? 2000 McNeely Re-recording 1 Main Title 01:06
2 1975? ??? ??? 1m3 The First Victim 2000 25th Anniversary Decca 01B [0:58-2:34] Main Title and First Victim 01:38
2 1975? ??? ??? ??? 1975 Original Soundtrack LP Re-Recording 2 Chrissie's Death 01:39
2 2000? ??? ??? ??? 2000 McNeely Re-recording 2 First Victim 01:43

Knock yourself out.

Being a french speaking person, even if I don't know the expression you used, I suspect that you did not like my proposal.

That's fine.

I'm a computer scientist and sometimes I suffer from a little bit of professional deformation in my interactions with others. :znaika:

I'm not bad, I don't bite, I care myself listening to music. ;)

Knock yourself out.

Being a french speaking person, even if I don't know the expression you used,

Basically he said:

"Have fun, you can make one like that if you want, I am not going to do it."

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Knock yourself out = I hope you hit your head on something and never wake up.

You should compile a book where you explain more these idioms to people. Might be fun to read.

But which one do I need to get? One has 9 tracks, another has 15, and then there's the whole volume 2 business...or do I wait for a more complete one?

In case this got lost in the mix...anyone able to help me out?

Buy Volume 1 and if you like that go for Volume 2.

I guess what I need to know is should I get the one with 9 tracks AND vol. 2, or does the one with 15 cover all(or most) of the material?

There's the 19 track Japanese Volcano release which seems to have nearly everything that's on the two more common Varese volumes.

I'm happy with that until a new complete version is released.

There's the 19 track Japanese Volcano release which seems to have nearly everything that's on the two more common Varese volumes.

I'm happy with that until a new complete version is released.

Great-exactly what I needed to know!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm suffering a complete mental block at the moment. There is a theme that begins with almost the exact first three notes from this suite:

I'm hopeless at describing music but it is: those 3 notes, then another note, then those 3 notes again, then about 7 notes, and finally the three notes again. I think it is played on a harpsichord or a similar sounding instrument. It could very well be from How To Steal A Million but I haven't heard it in that suite or any other clips (I don't have the CD, yet - ordered from ebay today). I'm sure it'll be really obvious when I find out.

Can anyone identify that theme.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read Jabba's theme is in The Phantom Menace. For the life of me, I cannot hear it. I know it is in the podracing material. Can someone give specific tracktimes/descriptions of its appearance?