The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

• 3 weeks later...

My Windows 10 plays a John Williams tune when I disconnect my MP3 Player from the computer...

It's a three-note motive (three notes descending),,, I think it's from ANH.

Am I normal?

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

What is "normal"?

But what about this voice in my head that keeps repeating : buy the TFA bluray! buy the TFA bluray! buy the TFA bluray.... :sarcasm:

That's cool. A little voice inside MY head said, "don't look back, you can never look back." 

I thought I knew what love was, what did I know? Those days are gone forever. I should just let 'em go. 

29 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The voice in my head says: "Kill them. Kill them all."

Com'on, just buy a can of Raid.

33 minutes ago, Woj said:

That's cool. A little voice inside MY head said, "don't look back, you can never look back." 

I thought I knew what love was, what did I know? Those days are gone forever. I should just let 'em go. 

You talk like an Aznavour song, cool.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:26 AM, Bespin said:

But what about this voice in my head that keeps repeating : buy the TFA bluray! buy the TFA bluray! buy the TFA bluray.... :sarcasm:

I'll certainly buy TFA when it arrives on Blu, if ounly for the score. Besides, just because I don't like a film, it doesn't stop me from watching it.

I saw TFA twice, the second time to understand why I didn't like it. As Mr. Bartholomew said; "Understand it. You need to understand it".

I saw it twice and I love it. And I consider myself a true hardcore fan. I played with Star Wars toys when I was a kid, it's all my childhood!!!

Is the music for Superman II: RDC tagged from the score from Superman, or Superman II: RLC?

If you add-up all the music on both the DCC, DCC 2-disc vinyl, and Concorde releases, is there any unreleased music from ROTLA?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Is the music for Superman II: RDC taged from the score from Superman, or Superman II: RLC?

"taged"?

It's (mostly?) from the first film - you can't tell just by listening?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

If you add-up all the music on both the DCC, DCC 2-disc vinyl, and Concorde releases, is there any unreleased music from ROTLA?

Yep.

"Yep" was the correct answer to your question "is there any unreleased music from ROTLA?"

The Rolling Ball insert is still missing, as is the original version of Escaping The Pit and a short piece that turned up on a bootleg that could be an alternate for that.

See here for more info:

http://www.indianajonesmusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/raiders-of-lost-ark-1981.html

• 4 weeks later...

One of my computers is worthless (going for $25 on eBay) so not even worth selling since the shipping would cost about $75.  What should I do with a worthless computer?  Just throw it in the dumpster?  Are there recycling places or give it to Good Will?  Schools don't want it...it's too old.

There are sometimes electronics recycling drives in my area, where people dispose of monitors and TVs and computers. Some are free, some charge you or only permit a small number of items or boxes. You'd have to know what's going on in your area. 

Take the hard drive out so nobody steals your personal data; The rest can possibly be recycled at like a Best Buy, or if someone you know works in an office.  If not if you put it out by the side of hte road someone will probably take it, unless you live in like a gated community or something

Definitely wipe or destroy the hard drive if you don't need or want the data or already have backups. With a torx drive, you can disassemble it, because the internal magnets are very strong and fun to play with. Then you can sandblast, shoot, or drive over the platters. Destruction is fun. 

If you didn't care about the environment and could get away with it, the rest could be used as a boat anchor or fish habitat...

Damn rat's breathing that shit. That is no bullshit, hands down. The Goddamnedest thing I ever saw.

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ive never seen The Abyss.

What. The drowning sequence is absolutely gut wrenching.

My mother's fear of drowning nearly paralyzed her while watching that.

Which song do these lyrics come from:

Ohohoh

Ohohoh

Ohohohohoh

Ohohoh

La-a-a

Ohohohohoh!

(instrumental)

Bara, bara, bara, bara, bara, babara, babaara!

Ohohoh

Ohohoh

Ohohohohoh

Yaya (yaya)

Yaya (yaya)

Yayayaya! (yayayayayaayaa)

(instrumental)

Yaya (yaya)

Ya-oh (ya-oh)

Yayayaya (yayayaya)

Yaaaaa-ya

Yaaaaa-ya

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I got to tell you, I give this whole thing a sphincter-factor of about nine point five.

5 hours ago, loert said:

Which song do these lyrics come from:

Ohohoh

Ohohoh

Ohohohohoh

Ohohoh

La-a-a

Ohohohohoh!

(instrumental)

Ohohoh

Ohohoh

Ohohohohoh

Yaya (yaya)

Yaya (yaya)

Yayayaya! (yayayayayaayaa)

(instrumental)

Yaya (yaya)

Ya-oh (ya-oh)

Yayayaya (yayayaya)

Yaaaaa-ya

Yaaaaa-ya

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

It is the lyrics to this fine piece:

Being new here and not entirely familiar with the forum I wanted an answer to this:
Do we have a thread on various hidden themes or easter eggs in John Williams scores? An example of this would be, say, the hidden Emperor's Theme in Augie's Great Municipal Band, or Yoda's theme in E.T. the Extra-terrestrial.

I've seen a couple of John Williams plagiarism threads, but I couldn't find any threads on self-plagiarism. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms? 

Anybody know anything about this sound effect? I know it's probably something created by Burtt specifically for the film, but I was wondering if anyone had an inkling on how it was produced (You can hear it most prominently at 1:18 and 3:11 or 16:39 of Episode 10 The Luke Skywalker Initiative of the Star Wars Radio Drama):

On 5/7/2016 at 10:18 PM, Biodome said:

Being new here and not entirely familiar with the forum I wanted an answer to this:
Do we have a thread on various hidden themes or easter eggs in John Williams scores? An example of this would be, say, the hidden Emperor's Theme in Augie's Great Municipal Band, or Yoda's theme in E.T. the Extra-terrestrial.

I've seen a couple of John Williams plagiarism threads, but I couldn't find any threads on self-plagiarism. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms? 

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23213-john-williams-plagiarizing-himself/

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It seems to be a thread about stylistic similarities across Williams' scores. I was more interested in blatant re-use of themes, perhaps for fan service reasons, like in the E.T. Halloween Yoda moment, or maybe themes that are not presented as blatantly, but are still re-used (the hidden Emperor's Theme in SW:TPM). That's actually the only examples I could think of and I wanted to know if there are more of those. Maybe there are too few of them to warrant a separate thread, I'm not sure.