The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

• 2 weeks later...

When was the score of "Inchon" REALLY written and recorded? The film came out in 1982 but due to post-production delays. Has Goldsmith already recorded the score in 1981 or even in 1980?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Quick question to all the musical experts and Sibelius users around here: @Jilal, @TheGreyPilgrim, @KK, @karelm, etc.

I'm trying to engrave a cue with Sibelius, and I'm encountering a problem with a certain part. Here it is:

KwbPITE.jpg

The problem I have is with that whole note at the end of the second staff. Obviously, when I try to put it here, it turns it into a quarter note, with a tie to a dotted half note on the next bar (which is problematic, since that next bar is supposed to basically repeat the bar you're seeing here). I'm sure there's something I'm missing here due to my lack of musical knowledge, so any help would be appreciated!

The left hand as notated doesn't totally work.  You have two voices on that first A which should be one voice and a quarter rest for voice 1 meaning voice 2 (the lower one) is not doubled with opposite stems.  You have seven beats in the upper voice of the left hand in a 4/4 bar.  Do you want a fermata over the last note to indicate hold long? 

Sibelius is powerful enough to let you do this even though it doesn't fully make musical sense by changing the notehead.  See the whole note at the end here.  You basically can go to the Notations->Noteheads option window and if none of the notes have a quarter note with a whole note symbol, you can edit one of the 30 or so preset notehead styles to do this as I have done:

BB.jpg

But the above doesn't make sense in the left hand though it could be notated.  Below is the more correct notation (4 beats per measure in all voices) and this is what Sibelius is trying to make you conform to:

BB2.jpg

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Thanks for the answer!

OK, first, something I should have said when I posted my question: the reason why I'm using Sibelius is to use the playback function (and be able to save the music as wav files), because I can't read music. You should know that have zero musical knowledge (though using Sibelius, I learned a thing or two, at least as far as musical linguo is concerned). Ultimately, what I want is to be able to hear what's on the sheet music. I'm not engraving sheet music that will be later given to musicians or anything, so in the end, I don't really care if the way the music is notated doesn't make much sense to musicians as long as the playback stays true to how the music is supposed to sound like.

Anyway, from what I understand here, the solution you suggest is basically making a quarter note look like a whole note, right? But ultimately, during playback, it would still be played like a quarter note, no? I guess your suggestion of putting a quarter note with a fermata is possibly the best way to go.

As for your point regarding the various voices: I "cheated" a little bit here. What I did is use one voice for the two lower half notes (with the stems going downwards), one voice for the quarter rest followed by the upper half note (with the stem going upwards), and finally a third voice to double the first half note (with a stem going upwards here) and I then hid the following rest symbols for that voice. To be honest, though, I'm not sure if that would affect playback in a bad way. :P

Yeah, but as I said, the problem is that the following bar is supposed to be a repeat of that same bar (see picture below), so if you have a quarter note at the end of the first bar with a tie to a quarter note on the next bar, it's impossible to repeat exactly the first bar. That's why I felt kind of stuck here.

X0hTHuZ.jpg

Again, thank you for your help! Much appreciated!

Ok, first, I didn't know you are using notation software for playback purposes and that was the context of your question.  I am probably the wrong person to answer your questions because I'm a stickler for precision since I have to perform this stuff and also arrange/orchestrate it frequently.  I think I could drive you nuts as I approach this from the complete opposite perspective.  Why don't you use a DAW since that is much more focused on how it sounds rather than how it is represented and to that I am not the right authority? 

What I am confused about is that you are asking to hear what is on the sheet music but the sketch is not correct, is that what is on the sheet music?  I would like to know more context of this because it does not seem accurate musically and I would presume if you are trying to type this in at least it is correct before hand so if you can send me the original source that would be valuable insight. 

You are correct, that I presumed you were asking about musical correctness rather than playback so I don't know if Sibelius can address this as well as a sequencer which is not designed for musical accuracy but rather production. 

The image you showed doesn't make musical sense in the left hand.  If this should be orchestrated it would make a bit more sense but the whole note at the end still is meaningless for a performer. 

Oh, I see.  This is a piano reduction of an orchestral score.  So the overlapping notes actually are different voices (like cellos and double basses doubling that note).  I think the whole note should be a half note meaning only a quarter note is on the bar you showed tied to the next bar (what is currently a quarter rest) so the bar would be repeated but the second time through the quarter rest is the tie of the E if that makes sense.  I think this is a copyist error in the score reduction.  Another error is on page 42 button staff has those low D's in octave as a quarter note but the bar is in 3/4 time so should have a half note rest which it does not have. 

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, I understand what you mean, and I actually considered doing that after reading the solution you suggested in your first post, however... If I were to do what you suggested, then it would mean that at the end of the second bar, there would also be a half note, so basically a quarter note with a tie to another quarter note on the following bar (the third bar), which then creates another problem.

qyHi0hm.jpg

Yes, it doesn't quite work but this question now belongs into the slow question thread lol.  I think the most logical solution is to use this rhythm from the previous page for that rogue voice and ignore the measure repeat sign. 

bb3.jpg

Okay fellas, need a quick yet thoughtful and poignant answer. I'm at Half Price Books and all the SW prequel scores are here for less than five dollars each. 

If I do end up giving in and trying one of these, which one should I go for? Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars or...Sith's score?

Oh and there's also Close Encounters, which I've never heard a single note of. :S

Sorry I missed this BloodBoal!! But as usual, karelm's got it covered to a T.

Is there a certain reason why special labels sometimes indicate which cues were previously unreleased (*) or which cues contain previously unreleased material (**) and sometimes they just don't do it? It seems to be entirely arbitrary.

But then it's weird, that the set of A.I. hasn't that indication. The first and the third CD would have a shitload of stars. What would be a better promotion? I would have assumed that it's all marketing, but is does not make sense, because there seems to be no system.

16 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is there a certain reason why special labels sometimes indicate which cues were previously unreleased (*) or which cues contain previously unreleased material (**) and sometimes they just don't do it? It seems to be entirely arbitrary.

Sometimes its legally required, sometimes it isn't.  If it isn't required, a label can choose to do it, or not

Does Harvey Keitel front a Direct Line insurance tv ad dressed as The Wolf from Pulp Fiction for the rest of the world, or is this just a British affliction? 

I wonder if they're aware of how many US stars we have in our commercial breaks here. Kevin Bacon does Vodafone; Arnie does Compare the Market.com; Steven Spielberg does Anusol...

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I wonder if they're aware of how many US stars we have in our commercial breaks here. Kevin Bacon does Vodafone; Arnie does Compare the Market.com; Steven Spielberg does Anusol...

"Steven Spielberg does Anusol" My arse!

What is the gizmo between Hans Zimmer's monitor and computer keyboard and what is it used for?  Is that like another monitor but touch sensitive?

79120feded1dd9cfa1528610ed274a91.jpg