The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Who wrote all the Irish-ish music for Titanic? Is Horner responsible for the party music and Lovejoy chase, or was the former also composed by Gaelic Storm? And what about things like Lament and Jack Dawson's Good Luck? For some reason, they're labelled as (Traditional) in my albums, so I'm guessing it's not Horner.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Grossest is the misuse of the word autistic

It's a fairly popular insult that gross neckbeards use on 4chan and the internet at large.  And if you think that's bad, just wait until you see what the same people did to the word "cringe"!

Hey musicians, could someone tell me the time signature(s) this track uses? 

(not meant to play at time marker, just play from the beginning)

(Here's another version in case it's easier to sus out)

I've read 3/8 or 7/8 put out there, but I'm not getting a grip on the count. I think I might also be overcomplicating it, though.

Is there a way to use the "multi-quote" function to put quotes in a signature? I've been trying to figure out how to paste quotes into my signature for awhile, and nothing has seemed to work.

1 minute ago, JohnSolo said:

A brief tutorial on how to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Click the button in the edit bar that says "Source"

A quote goes from "<blockquote..." to </blockquote>.  Just copy those tags and everything between them.  Then in the signature edit box click 'Source' and paste.

Oh I'm totally dumb, you don't need to use HTML mode at all, they fixed quoting in the latest version. You can now just click the header of any quote and then click the scissor icon to cut it, then long-press paste to paste it somewhere else ( for some reason the paste icon doesn't paste quotes)

Can someone remind me if there's a particular reason why the POA sessions haven't leaked even though all the other Potters have by now? Feel like whenever this comes up it's generally agreed that a leak is pretty unlikely, but can't remember if it's because of something specific with POA or if it's just that too much time has passed.

I cannot think of any reason why.  It seems to be pretty random what leaks and what doesn't sometimes >shrug<

Tech question.

I recently picked up some online music* in FLAC format. It's a multi "disc" release, but the tags were all over the place, so I had to copy/paste them between the different files for consistency. Among other things, I copied the composer's name, "Matt Gray", from the original tags to every file's artist, composer and album artist tags.

Now the files don't show up under "M" in my artist list, but rather under "G" - though still listed as "Matt Gray".

What could cause this? Is there some special kind of space character that designates remaining string to the part to use for sorting? I actually find this ideal, but not if "Matt Gray" is the only artist to be sorted by his last name - everyone else is still sorted by their first name. I'd like to tag all my other tracks in a similar fashion.

(I'm using musicpd as my collection manager/Cantata as my player software, but this seems to be more related to the tagging than the actual software)

*) This Kickstarter album. Cool modern (though still faithful) mixes of some SID classics.

I've checked all the tags with two different tagging tools, didn't find anything. If all else fails, I guess I could try changing the artist tags (e.g. from "Matt Gray" to "Matt Vray") and see what happens...

45 minutes ago, karelm said:

What do you think of the spotting of Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver ending (music by Bernard Herrmann)?

It is interesting isn't it?  No music at all until the cops enter the room.  It gives the final ironic gesture (the finger gun) a poetic quality after the harsh sound effects driven realism of the violence.

You just click your own name in the upper right, select Profile, then on the next screen just click Edit Profile.

@The Doctor You've mentioned a few times about how much you love the last 40 minutes or so of the Revenge of the Sith music, the action climax...could you give me a list of the tracks you're referring to? (Is there a common set of names that people who make fan versions use?) I'm not too familiar with what's beyond the OST, and I'd like to hear what you're talking about. :)

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

@The Doctor You've mentioned a few times about how much you love the last 40 minutes or so of the Revenge of the Sith music, the action climax...could you give me a list of the tracks you're referring to? (Is there a common set of names that people who make fan versions use?) I'm not too familiar with what's beyond the OST, and I'd like to hear what you're talking about. :)

There is, AFAIK, fanmade complete soundtrack albums of the ROTS music. I have this myself however I do not remember where I downloaded it from. the track list is:

Disc 1
01 Fox Fanfare :22
02 Star Wars Main Title and the Battle over Coruscant 8:00
03 The Elevator Scene 3:00
04 Count Dooku’s Entrance :49
05 The Death of Dooku 2:02
06 Grievous and the Droids 3:27
07 Another Happy Landing :41
08 Revisiting Padmé 1:33
09 Grievous Travels to Palpatine 1:51
10 Scenes and Dreams 5:14
11 Be Careful of Your Friend 1:32
12 Council Meeting 3:29
13 Hold Me :43
14 Palpatine’s TV Set 1:38
15 Palpatine’s Big Pitch 3:17
16 Good Bye Old Friend 2:38
17 Going to Utapau 2:18
18 Riding the Lizard 1:26
19 Obi-Wan Faces Death :19
20 Drawing Swords :08
21 Good Guys Arrive :26
22 Palpatine’s Seduction 2:30
23 Rolling with Grievous :56
24 Fighting with Grievous 1:37
25 Dialogue with Mace 1:38
26 Padmé’s Ruminations 1:36
27 I am the Senate 6:08
28 Palpatine Instructs Anakin 2:02
29 Lament 4:24
30 Bail’s Escape :37
31 Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell 2:14

Disc 2
01 News of the Attack 1:59
02 Moving Things Along 4:17
03 Anakin’s Dark Deeds 2:14
04 It Can’t Be 5:12
05 A Moody Trip :58
06 Padmé’s Visit 3:20
07 Heroes Collide 4:38
08 Yoda vs. Sidious 1:33
09 Yoda Falls :18
10 The Boys Continue 2:09
11 Yoda to Exile :07
12 Revenge of Sith 2:43
13 The Immolation Scene 2:41
14 Anakin Crawling 1:07
15 The Birth of the Twins 2:38
16 Padmé’s Death 2:12
17 Plans for the Twins 1:40
18 Padmé’s Funeral :29
19 A Home for the Twins and End Credits 13:05
20 Lament (Album Version) 4:27
21 Moving Things Along (Album Mix) 4:14
22 Revenge of Sith DVD Version 3:42

It's always a pleasure to get a like from a post that we posted in 2015.  Some users, definitely have too much time to spare.

That's not a question, it's a warning.

Guys, beware, we are exposed!

It's maybe not a good idea to make (another) poll just for that.. but I'm curious...

When you listen to an album... when you left the piece for few seconds (ex. : to get another coffee, to make you a lunch) do you stop the music, ok keep it play and continue to listen, even if it's only in the background and you can miss some parts???

:dance:

Allez, on efface l'ardoise.

Resetting my ignore list to zero... because I even don't rememeber why I put you on my ignore list.

1. Blumenkohl

Blumenkohl

2. publicist

publicist

3. Woj

Woj

4. TownerFan

TownerFan

5. The Doctor

The Doctor

6. Baby Jane Hudson

Baby Jane Hudson