The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

I can't playback blu-rays. What I mean is, there were multiple DVD versions. First they did a 1-disc version with 384KBPS 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby Digital, but later they did a 5.1 EX track with the film spread over two discs. It was reportedly remastered, but I want to know whether it really sounds better.

12 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

I don't understand the question. It's worth upgrading to the Blu-ray regardless, but the 1999 DVD wasn't even anamorphic. Upgrade to a superior version!

Dude, he's blind, the visuals don't matter to him :lol:

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I can't playback blu-rays. What I mean is, there were multiple DVD versions. First they did a 1-disc version with 384KBPS 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby Digital, but later they did a 5.1 EX track with the film spread over two discs. It was reportedly remastered, but I want to know whether it really sounds better.

I would post this question in some kind of specialty audio / home video forum, I doubt anyone here knows the answer.

And Blu Ray players are like $30 now aren't they?

Good idea. Well I used to have a Blu-Ray external drive (I play everything on my computer) but it blocked, then the warranty had expired so I never brought it in for repair. I also keep film audio on my harddrive to avoid having to search for the right DVDs all the time and find Blu-Ray audio to be a waste of space because I only hear a marginal difference between DVD and Blu-Ray sound.

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I've played the DVD, and the Blu Ray of TITANIC, and I can hear no discernible difference. You, @bollemanneke being sight-impared (no offence intended) would probably be able to hear any "improvement" on the Blu. Blus tend to upgrade picture, but not necessarily sound.

Paradoxically, it might be better for you to listen to TITANIC on the DVD, as it's 6.1 EX (not 5.1) and any sound is spread over six, and not five, channels (ie, the sound would more "directional".

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

I've played the DVD, and the Blu Ray of TITANIC, and I can hear no discernible difference. You, @bollemanneke being sight-impared (no offence intended) would probably be able to hear any "improvement" on the Blu. Blus tend to upgrade picture, but not necessarily sound.

Paradoxically, it might be better for you to listen to TITANIC on the DVD, as it's 6.1 EX (not 5.1) and any sound is spread over six, and not five, channels (ie, the sound would more "directional".

The blu-ray would be a significant improvement because it has a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio track.

I still have my old 1999 DVD. It was $44.95 when it came out!

I remember when I got the Predator 2 blu-ray in 2010, which had an immediate improvement on the DVD in the first minute when we hear the first car explosion. The DTS-HD version had this new, crisp detail and punch that I'd never heard before. I think it was the first time I was really wowed by a film's audio on home video. It sold me on lossless audio formats.

On ‎8‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, Richard said:

Don't worry, none taken, I'm totally okay with the word blind, to hell with political correctness.

I ordered the remastered DVD yesterday evening so we'll see what happens. Also did a couple of random tests with my current 1-disc version: the piano theme playing when Jack draws Rose is only spread across the two front channels and some random sinking bit hardly used the rear channels either. Lame.

UPDATE: If anyone is interested, I got the remastered DVD today. The case was broken, the audio commentaries by director and historians are missing, the bitrate of the film audio is 448 kbps and there is absolutely no difference whatsoever between this track and the 1997 DVD, but there is Spanish and Italian audio, yay... The only interesting thing about this version is the deleted scenes and a bad American auio description track. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

So, @Sharky @TheGreyPilgrim @karelm @Loert @Ludwigwhat exactly is going on here? I see the two dotted Trombone notes with Fermatas in Ex 1 (BTW the top clef is crossed out and replaced with something I cannot Identify), and the bass Pizz note in Ex 2, so what are those outlined markings, and what is going on with the Decrescendo and gliss in Ex 1? and pretty much the same with Ex 2?

Markingquestion1.pngMarkingquestion2.pngMarkingquestion3.png

16 hours ago, Fal said:

So, what exactly is going on here? 

First excerpt: The two almost-identical markings are the mezzo-forte "mf" dynamic marking. The other marking I think is "IIIo" which means that the bottom staff is played by the third trombone only.

Second excerpt: Top-left is a tie mark, in the Hal Leonard scores you often see it accompanied with the phrase: "let ring" on harp, to make it clear that no specific damping is needed. The rest are just a quarter-note rest and a half-note rest with a fermata over it.

Third excerpt: It's a tenor clef. Second-from-top line of the stave is a middle C.

I'm not sure where you are seeing a trombone glissando in Ex 1 or 2 though?

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Silly question, but does anyone know if there is any concert with (John Williams) film music going on in the UK between 30 June and 6 July?

Your question is only silly if you are asking if the concert starts on 30th June and finishes on 6th July, as that would be quite tiring for the orchestra.

If you are asking if there is a concert on any of those dates, however, then you are in luck my friend!  The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic will be giving a concert entitled John Williams at the Oscars at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall on 30th June.  The RLPO is one of the country's great orchestras so it should be good.  Details are here.

If I were to contemplate changing my current username, but the username I would like to acquire is already in use by a member, but that member has not been active for nearly a year (the user I am referring to joined May 22, 2017, but was last active on the forums on May 30, 2017), would it be acceptable for a mod to remove/modify the username of that member and let it be accessible for my use?

@Jay @Ricard

25 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

If I were to contemplate changing my current username, but the username I would like to acquire is already in use by a member, but that member has not been active for nearly a year (the user I am referring to joined May 22, 2017, but was last active on the forums on May 30, 2017), would it be acceptable for a mod to remove/modify the username of that member and let it be accessible for my use?

@Jay @Ricard

Just add a 2 at the end

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I've come across the original MCA album for E.T at Half Price Books. Is it worth getting if I already have the 1996 release?

Is the atomic weight of cobalt 58.9?

12 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I've come across the original MCA album for E.T at Half Price Books. Is it worth getting if I already have the 1996 release?

If you own the 2017 LLL edition of the score, the original 1982 OST album is included on disc 2.

The original OST album is ESSENTIAL for ET, containing a boatload of music that isn't on the 1996 CD, so its worth owning, either via the old CD or by buying the complete LLL edition.

Okay, so because some little shithead at Samsung decided it would be cute, the "custom text notifications" disappeared from my Samsung S8 when I downloaded the latest update.  In hindsight, I should not have installed this because I really really like having custom text sounds for each of my favorite contacts.

Does anyone know how to turn that feature back on?  Does anyone know who at Samsung we need to push out of a high-rise to make this happen?  Or are there third party software apps that can do the same thing?  Custom ringtones is still included.  I want my custom text sounds back.