The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Just now, Richard said:

I would agree, after all he "fixed" both DIE HARD 2, and TOMB RAIDER.

I just don't see his work in R1. What I see is some apeing his style.

Perhaps this was the best he could do with the material and the schedule he was given?

Question time. I am looking for a program, free or not, that would accurately convert Hal Leonard's JW signature scores to MIDI. Right accents aren't important, notes are. Is this possible at all with today's technology?

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Question time. I am looking for a program, free or not, that would accurately convert Hal Leonard's JW signature scores to MIDI. Right accents aren't important, notes are. Is this possible at all with today's technology?

There are programs that scan a piece of sheet music and convert into digital notation that have existed for about a decade, but I never really looked into them to see how reliable they would be.

Apparently there's a new app called Playscore for phones and tablets that looks like it might be the simplest option (no scanner machine required), but again, I checked no reviews. Maybe there's a demo version available?

Well, I did check some reviews and my personal conclusion was that you either find software developers praising their own apps and users who say it only works with very simple music. I'll look into PlayScore.

I looked for such software over many years, but have not for a while. The conclusions I came to then was that no free software existed that would do that error free, and I was not going to take a chance on buying software that might not do what I needed.

At the time, I needed to engrave a pretty sloppily handwritten score, so I used an older copy of Finale. It was a very slow process, taking a few hours a day over weeks. But I knew there would be no way to scan the pages into a computer and trust its reasoning. 

There may be programs now that have no issues reading and converting engraved scores into midi. After all, we have phone apps that translate languages on the fly and read Amazon gift card codes without needing to type them. 

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

What, if any, are JW's major works, for piano? Has he ever composed a piano concerto? My guess is "no", but I could well be wrong.

You are not wrong.  for some reason, John has never written a Piano Concerto.

He has written two major concert works for piano, however.

One is the Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra from 2014

The other is a work for solo piano, Conversations.  Here is one movement:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just listening to The Flying Sequence from Superman and there's a really weird sound at around 6:48 (2008 set). Anyone know what this is? It sounds like a random bass guitar note, but it seems really out of place.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm just listening to The Flying Sequence from Superman and there's a really weird sound at around 6:48 (2008 set). Anyone know what this is? It sounds like a random bass guitar note, but it seems really out of place.

It's in the original OST too.  Probably stage noises which aren't that unusual.  I really don't think it's a musically intended noise.  Could also be a defect in the master tapes.

For those of you who have been asking for Conan The barbarian transcribed for organ, your wait is over.  I bring you this music to accompany your quest to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women! ...

On 9/13/2018 at 5:43 PM, bollemanneke said:

It’s the sound of a wire which breaks. You Know, Superman doesn’t really fly...

:sarcasm:

On 9/13/2018 at 10:43 PM, bollemanneke said:

It's the sound of a slapped bass guitar, playing (I think) an E.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Any Chicago members go to the Music Box Theater close to Wrigley Field? ( @Will, @Pellaeon?) They'll be showing The Last Crusade, Star Trek VI, and 2001, all in 70mm!

Interesting... I've never been, but I do live pretty close to it. 

I have a question for the deep question thread.  You guys know who this is, right?

image.png

Correct, it is Eric Whitacre.  WRONG you idiots.  This is Gabriel Prokofiev, the grandson of the great Ukrainian/Russian* composer, Sergei Prokofiev.  He is now a prominent composer.  My question, does his last name help or hurt him?  One could argue both that standing in the shadow of a great composer is very difficult.  For example, I notice no piano concerto's by Gabriel but 5 brilliantly original and virtuosic concertos by his grandfather.  Also notice that none of Sergei's kids were musicians.  Gabriel only has a light genetic connection (1/4) to the brilliant composer.  How much (if any) of his success as a composer came from genes and how much of it came from the good fortune he had with the surname of a great composer?  Meanwhile, how much of his misfortune was that he would forever be compared to his famous and imposing grandfather?

* Sergei is Ukrainian by birth but loved Russia deeply according to his son.

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I think I watched an interview with him a while back where he addressed this issue in some way. He does a lot of DJ type stuff, if I recall.

I kind of took it as more of a Mason Bates sort of DJ thing - like adding beats to an orchestral score than being a DJ per se. 

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So is he a composer or is he a DJ?

Have any DJ's studied composition in University?  He seems like a composer to me but definitely breaking the mold as his grandfather did in his own way.  Here is his list of works. https://gabrielprokofiev.com/completeworks/

He has written something called Concerto for Turntables which has gotten quite a bit of notice/notoriety. 

1 hour ago, karelm said:

I kind of took it as more of a Mason Bates sort of DJ thing - like adding beats to an orchestral score than being a DJ per se

Yes, but I think he also performs DJ sets.

1 hour ago, karelm said:

Have any DJ's studied composition in University? 

Yes, although of course that's not the prerequisite for being a composer.

There's a good number of DJs that write their own material for their sets. And many composers throughout history have been excellent performers as well--like how Sergei Prokofiev would perform his own works; why would being a DJ be any different? At its ideal, DJing is what Charles Mingus refers to as "spontaneous composition".

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I don't have much interest in Superman the character at all and haven't seen him in anything or read any comics. The more I saw from the '78 movie, the more I was convinced it wouldn't be for me, I'm not really planning on watching it.

I naturally know and like the prologue/concert piece/March/Superman Theme Song, but I don't find it particularly unique or interesting, or anywhere near the top of the Maestro's abilities. The only other piece I heard of the score was March of the Villains, which was less than convincing.

Is there a single or a handful of tracks I could listen to that could change my mind about the score and make me listen to the OST or something? 

Anyone know if the Warner Premium Collection Blu-rays available over at HMV are region free? I’ve been eyeing a few of their releases for a while now, but I’m not sure if they’ll play on my US player. 

Thank you, the love theme was really good! But I think if LLL does (re)release this now, you guys can have one more of their limited number.

23 hours ago, John said:

Anyone know if the Warner Premium Collection Blu-rays available over at HMV are region free? I’ve been eyeing a few of their releases for a while now, but I’m not sure if they’ll play on my US player. 

I have some of these (ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, OUTLAND, ICE STATION ZEBRA, EXCALIBUR, etc.) and they play on my Sony player just fine, and none state any restrictions, on the cover. Conversely there's no specific instructions as to which - if any - regions these can be played on (ABC, "touts republiques", etc).

If you fancy, buy just one. If it won't work, then you won't be too much out of pocket.

Random quick question. This first 13 seconds of this video, what style of music would you call this exactly? Kind of that 50's style of film score.

How can I change the track title of a wave file? Sometimes the Windows Media Player doesn't provide the correct or any information of an album, we all know that. The problem, however, is that I can change the NAME OF THE FILE (for example: "01 Track 1" => "01 Imhotep"), but I cannot change the TRACK TITLE of the file (for example: "Track 1" => "Imhotep"). The track title is what is displayed by the Media Player, so every time when I transfer my music to another computer the track titles have to be manually entered in the Media Player, so that it does not just display:

"Track 1"

"Track 2"

"Track 3"

"..."

So, how can I change the track title in the file folder?

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

How can I change the track title of a wave file? Sometimes the Windows Media Player doesn't provide the correct or any information of an album, we all know that. The problem, however, is that I can change the NAME OF THE FILE (for example: "01 Track 1" => "01 Imhotep"), but I cannot change the TRACK TITLE of the file (for example: "Track 1" => "Imhotep"). The track title is what is displayed by the Media Player, so every time when I transfer my music to another computer the track titles have to be manually entered in the Media Player, so that it does not just display:

"Track 1"

"Track 2"

"Track 3"

"..."

So, how can I change the track title in the file folder?

On Windows, if you only want to change a handful of tracks, you right click on the title in explorer, open Properties, go to the Details tab - there you will see track title, album, artist, track number, all the usual tags, double-clicking on them allows you to edit them, OK will save it slowly.

If you want to do this with multiple albums, I suggest third party software like MP3Tag (works great with FLAC, too, I assume WAV won't be a problem either), which allows you to open multiple files and bulk change tags.

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

On Windows, if you only want to change a handful of tracks, you right click on the title in explorer, open Properties, go to the Details tab - there you will see track title, album, artist, track number, all the usual tags, double-clicking on them allows you to edit them, OK will save it slowly.

If you want to do this with multiple albums, I suggest third party software like MP3Tag (works great with FLAC, too, I assume WAV won't be a problem either), which allows you to open multiple files and bulk change tags.

That's what I tried but that is not the case on my computer. I cannot double-click or right-click them.

I've already heard from MP3Tag. Is it free? I think, I will use it then, as soon as I have found out how to edit these goddamn titles.

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

That's what I tried but that is not the case on my computer. I cannot double-click or right-click them.

Hmm. Which Windows are you using? Maybe you don't have admin rights?

Anyway, yeah, MP3tag's free, can edit other formats, and in bulk, go for it.

21 hours ago, Holko said:

Hmm. Which Windows are you using? Maybe you don't have admin rights?

Anyway, yeah, MP3tag's free, can edit other formats, and in bulk, go for it.

Windows 8 and Windows 10. Which one are you using?

This MP3Tag is a very nice program! I still don't know, why I'm unable to change the information in the file folder, but thanks to this program I don't care any more. I already know the functions that I need to archive my music correctly, now I just need time to do that.

Thanks for the recommendation!

On 10/11/2018 at 12:00 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Random quick question. This first 13 seconds of this video, what style of music would you call this exactly? Kind of that 50's style of film score.

Oh god, why won't this musical leave me alone!?

I'm actually performing in this currently, so I'm very familiar with all this. Like Richard said, it's that very distinctive 30's film pastiche. I don't know why you're asking about the style, but if you're hoping to ape it, some huge trademarks here are the augmented chords (a major chord with a raised fifth, like C E G#), a lot of major thirds and whole tone scales, with dramatic percussion and half-step trills in the higher register.