The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

12 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

As a fan of both Hellraisers, The Uninvited, NoES2, Bless the Child, The Monkey King and Drag Me to Hell....any Chris Young recommendations? 

Species! And The Core (Karol will back me up here).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure this is posted somewhere on the forums but I haven't found it yet:

What is the origin of the 20th Century Fox Fanfare recording that is on the SE 2Disc set for The Empire Strikes Back? 

It isn't the version attached to the film...that version is heard on the 90s Anthology box set. 

As far as I remember, the liner notes state that Williams and the LSO newly recorded the fanfare for ESB (apparently a first after the classic original recording). I assume that's the version included on the SE 2CD.

27 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As far as I remember, the liner notes state that Williams and the LSO newly recorded the fanfare for ESB (apparently a first after the classic original recording). I assume that's the version included on the SE 2CD.

Hmmm, that's what I'm wondering. Because it seems that the recording differs from what's before the film (at least on the blu-ray I have). What appears before the film matches up to the track on the Anthology release (on both the Empire and Jedi discs of the Anthology). 

Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but where can I find the leaderboard on the desktop version of the site? After the latest updates, I can't seem to find it.

Edit: never mind, I found it under the "More" tab.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 2:17 PM, Brundlefly said:

Does anyone know, where the album covers displayed in the Windows Media Player are saved? The player usually automatically downloads them, but they have to be saved on the PC somewhere.

I would try checking the box in your options menu to show hidden system files. The image files should be in the folder with the music files. I don't play music with WMP generally, and I use mp3tag to embed my cover art into each file.

~§~

I didn't know where else to mention this. I bought a Samsung 128 gig thumb drive specifically to keep docked to the stereo head unit in mystery car. This way I always have a good library of music without worrying about the interface or finicky battery of my iPod. 

By default, the only formats for the drive were NTFS and exFat. I tried exFat but the stereo didn't see it. I assumed the max size is around 32 gigs, which isn't even close to iPod capacity. 

Oh hell no. 

Per this website, Windows discourages the use of FAT32 on large disks because of speed and the 4 gig file limit, but it's still possible. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/amp/

The program in that list converted the drive in mere seconds, so fast I thought it was a glitch. But it works. 

Of course, using a Windows folder structure removes all the useful search options using tags, forcing you to organize music logically, but the tradeoff of not waiting for a frozen iPod to warm up in winter and uploading music via USB 3.0 is worth it. 

3 minutes ago, Wojism said:

I would try checking the box in your options menu to show hidden system files. The image files should be in the folder with the music files. I don't play music with WMP generally, and I use mp3tag to embed my cover art into each file.

Doesn't that require very much storage space, when every file has a cover art embeded?

It does if you use large file sizes. I used to use 500 square but now I use 300 square. I only view cover art on my iPod screen or the tiny preview in Winamp. File size is negligible. 

This past weekend, TBS was showing all the Star Wars films (except The Last Jedi) and for the first time in quite a while, I sat down to watch the original trilogy.  It still holds so much charm, memories, and emotion to me.  One thing I recall was though David Prowse's voice was wonderfully overdubbed by the irreplaceable James Earl Jones, his physical performance was still excellent.  I believe he never really acted seriously (maybe bit parts in TV or something) prior to Star Wars.  It seems in all interviews I've seen with him, he is a very sweet man but it seems there is a major rift between him and Lucas.  Anyone know the details of the rift because I understand he is banned from all Star Wars activities which doesn't seem fair to this sweet man who played (at least in part) such a menacing and iconic role?

4 minutes ago, karelm said:

Anyone know the details of the rift because I understand he is banned from all Star Wars activities which doesn't seem fair to this sweet man who played (at least in part) such a menacing and iconic role?

Does this help?

6 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

He spilled the beans about Vader being Luke's father.  Maybe that's it?

But no, they didn't tell him.  No one knew except Mark Hamill, Lucas, JEJ, and Kersh.  Prowse found out at the premiere because he read a different line.  Watch this:

7 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Does this help?

Interesting.  Will have to investigate Elstree 1976.

I watched Elstree 1976 last night.  It seems Prowse himself isn't quite sure what he did to piss off Lucas but he's banned from official star wars and Disney Star Wars functions.  Pretty sad.  He's 83 years old and really did a fine job and is still ranked as the number one villain in film history.  Whatever he did, it seems to be completely unintended and the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Does anyone know whether Music Box and Chris' Soundtrack Corner ship between the two holidays? Or are they taking a break until like the 7th? I can't find info on that on either site.

I have a weird problem on my computer:

I wanted to delete all Jerry Goldsmith music, in order to replace the old files with new files that I edited with mp3tag. While all the rest of the old folders were gone, there were two of them left: "Gremlins" and "Poltergeist". I tried to delete them again and thereupon my computer told me that I had no authorization to delete them. And that's it, I can't delete, rename, move or even open them! I activated the administrator account - same thing!

I doubt that any Gremlins or Poltergeists are involved, but I would really like to know how to delete those fucking folders, because otherwise I cannot store the folders with the new files on my computer.

Win+R

Cmd

Enter

Format c:\ /y

Enter

:wave:

Just kidding. Don't do that. Sometimes Windows gets glitchy and won't let you delete folders. 

If you have the folders open elsewhere, or other programs are open using them, or sometimes even if you programs are running that were using those folders as save paths...windows won't let you delete them. 

Have you rebooted your computer? 

Can you boot into safe mode and delete them? 

Can you rename the folders? 

Can you delete the next higher folder they are inside? 

Can you move them into a different folder, and then delete that higher folder? 

It's possible the folders contain protected files and are being blocked from being deleted. Go into your settings and allow the computer to show protected and hidden files and folders. 

I often rely on a program called Remove Empty Directories to track down and delete empty folders after I clean and remove duplicate files. If the folders are empty, that program should be able to delete them. 

Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but is there a proper recording for the new arrangement Han Solo and the Princess planned or otherwise released? Has there been any word on it?

Was just marveling over it on the okay YouTube recordings and had a great need to have it in good quality!

13 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but is there a proper recording for the new arrangement Han Solo and the Princess planned or otherwise released? Has there been any word on it?

No and no, alas.

For the Star Trek fans in the house: I have a trial of Netflix and I finally want to finish Deep Space Nine. The last episode I watched was the one where 

Spoiler

Gul Dukat gets bippity-boppity-booed into a Bajoran and the old Bajoran lady basically sells her soul. And I seem to remember something about Dukat going blind, am I tripping? 

Are these events in the same episode? And if so, which episode is this called?

Become nearly invincible? Amass a significant number of fanatic followers? Open the Chamber of Secrets and create a series of Horcruxes? (Although Ollivander probably knew nothing of those last points)

15 hours ago, Richard said:

A QQ regarding Harry Potter:

In the wand shop, Olivander says that Voldemort did "...great things. Terrible, yes, but great".

Could anyone tell me what these "great things" are, or will this be explained in FANTASTIC BEASTS 3-5?

The consensus is that Olivander used the word "great" to mean large, eventful, and memorable, instead of "good." Tommy Riddle was never good. And of course, Olivander could never have imagined Voldemort's mastery of horcruxes, which was a great and terrible use of magic. 

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/35908/what-did-ollivander-mean-when-he-said-voldemort-did-great-things

"This is akin to Times Magazine "Person of the Year" thing - they included Hitler and Stalin, because "Man of the Year" is a person "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year". In other words, "great" a morality-free judgement.

As such, Olivander was entirely right. Voldemort performed and achieved extremely advanced levels of magic, unrivaled by anyone save possibly a handful other known wizards. Again, leaving morality aside, magically achieving effective immortality is indeed, a sign of great magic."

Although Voldemort's most impressive magical feats were not known to the public, there are several that Ollivander might have known of.

• He killed countless people. Voldemort was said to have killed enough people to "make an army" of Inferi. As mentioned in the other answers, many of them were highly skilled in their own right. Undoubtedly Ollivander would be aware of this.

• He mounted a fairly successful rebellion, in essence, against the Ministry of Magic in Great Britain, which was at the brink of victory when Voldemort disappeared. It was him and his motley crew of pureblood supremacists, giants, and so forth against the magical government, and they were winning. All this in the one European country where even Gellert Grindelwald had failed to gain a foothold, the same country where Albus Dumbledore resided.

• Voldemort showed extraordinary facility with the Killing Curse. The Killing Curse is preferable to essentially any other curse against a single target, since it is unblockable, but it is extremely difficult; Voldemort's own Death Eaters frequently resort to other curses, despite having both skill and murderous intent. If we consider Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, even the dark wizard Grindelwald preferred other single-target spells over Avada Kedavra.

Voldemort, however, casts Avada Kedavra almost exclusively as an offensive spell, suggesting that he has total confidence in his ability to cast the spell effectively under pressure.

Given how many people Voldemort killed, Ollivander probably was aware of the former's considerable skill with the Killing Curse.

• Voldemort created the spell Morsmorde to summon the Dark Mark. We don't know of any other spell that quite does this.

• He created the Dark Mark itself. The Dark Mark allows Voldemort to communicate with his followers in a manner much more personal and effective than Hermione's DA coins. It also allows him to cause pain to his minions, and is linked to his mind, since it grew darker as he regained his power. Further, as seen in The Half-Blood Prince, it could be used to get past certain barriers keyed to it.

Ollivander would have known about both these things; Voldemort made no secret of casting the Dark Mark above dwellings where his Death Eaters had killed, and the method of communication with the Dark Mark was also known. It's not clear whether he knew about the possibility of creating barriers that only someone with a Dark Mark could bypass, but he might have.

• Voldemort was capable of flying without the aid of a broom, something that (in the books) no other witch or wizard has been seen to do, save for those who were taught the secret by Voldemort.

Ollivander probably didn't know about this, since it seemed that the Order was surprised by this talent of Voldemort's. However, it's not entirely out of the question that he might have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 8:53 PM, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

As a fan of both Hellraisers, The Uninvited, NoES2, Bless the Child, The Monkey King and Drag Me to Hell....any Chris Young recommendations? 

I like Spiderman 3, a wonderful score despite the film's mediocrity.  Also good is Species and The Core.  I like the Exorcism of Emily Rose very much too.  It's a very subdued take on demonic possession but filled with dark supernatural tension. 

Is the music from 0:56 to 1:29 of this suite actually in Close Encounters?  Was it just composed for the suite?  I don't recall it in the movie or in the expanded OST.  Up to 0:56 is from the opening.  1:30 and after is from the mothership/finale sequence but this sequence between, where is that from?