The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

I have 3 quick questions, or, rather 3 quick questions, and one that, I suspect, will probably take a little longer to answer. Here goes:

1/ on my copy of "Cinderella Liberty"/"The Reivers", there is a jazzy arrangement of the "Cinderella..." Love Theme. Does anyone know who recorded it, and when (it is definately a modern recording).

2/ does anyone know what the "overture" to "The Towering Inferno" is on the 2-disc set. I saw this film at the cinema, and there was no overture, nor entr'act, nor exit music (though it did have the most brilliant intermission point that I have ever seen!).

3/ what is the music in the second half of the "Lost World" trailer (Zimmer, perhaps?).

...and lastly 4/ why, oh why, does "...Jedi" sound sooooooo awful? Even the 1993 anthology doesn't sound too good, but the 1997/2004 re-issues are just terrible.

#3: I think you mean Hans Zimmer's "Backdraft".

Ooh, thanks for that; I'll check it out, although I have no desire to get in the way of Hans Zimmer's backdraft, f'nar, f'nar!

Hm. Well, I did find that "f'nar" is apparently an acronym for "for no apparent reason". Which leads me to another question...

...Although I have no desire to get in the way of Hans Zimmer's backdraft, [for no apparent reason], [for no apparent reason]!

Is this sentence considered proper English?

(Another question: are the woodwinds in "Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan" awesome or what?)

1/ on my copy of "Cinderella Liberty"/"The Reivers", there is a jazzy arrangement of the "Cinderella..." Love Theme. Does anyone know who recorded it, and when (it is definately a modern recording).

Richard, the version on that CD is Fred Karlin's arrangement recorded for his 1997 Varese Sarabande album Cool & Classic: Great Film Themes from the 70's.

@ Nick Parker, try googling 'Finbar Saunders' and you will get the correct answer to your question. :)

You don't ask the almighty for his ID.

I have a quick question:
f'nar, f'nar

What on earth is this supposed to mean?

I thought it was Chewbacca laughing.

I have a question: What does God want with a starship?

His chariot ran out of NOS

I've a question.

"Why is that plane dusting crops where they ain't no crops?"

Is it just me or does the '87 Warner release of Superman sound like it's coming from the bottom of a well?

And how does the Rhino release compare?

I know, I know... Blue Box. Not really an option right now.

Problem is, there's simply no way some of us can afford to spend $100+ on the Blue Box.

The music definately deserves the release, but I for one, cannot afford it.

I greatly enjoy the Rhino Superman release though.

What was the music used in the Schindler's List trailer?

The music in that trailer is an excerpt from Polish film composer Wojciech Kilar's 1981 choral work, Exodus. There is a good recording of it available on the Naxos label along with a couple of his other non-film compositions. I wonder if it was used as a temp track for Schindler's List, as it does indeed bear similarities to the track Schindler's Workforce?

Richard, the version on that CD is Fred Karlin's arrangement recorded for his 1997 Varese Sarabande album Cool & Classic: Great Film Themes from the 70's.

@ Nick Parker, try googling 'Finbar Saunders' and you will get the correct answer to your question. ;)

Thanks, Omen II, I'll look out for that. Finally, someone who actually gets the "f'nar, f'nar" gag! Nice to know there are still some fellow "Viz" readers out there!

Which recording of Edward Elgar's Falstaff is generally considered to be the best? There was a CD in the 1990's, I think, that featured Anthony Collins conducting the London Symphony Orchestra, is that one any good?

Also, what is considered to be the "best seat in the house" when it comes to a concert hall?

That's a great CD by the way (the Naxos Kilar).

One of the compositions is used at the end of The Truman Show, by the way.

- Alan, who shares Marian's sentiments

I have a quick question regarding Midway.

Is there a OS album where JW conducted the thing himself?

I can only find this version, which is just a re-recording.

51EK95S0NAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The only available version, aside from Boston Pops (I believe?) recordings of the two marches by Williams.

Was there ever another version, which went out of print? :angry:

Or is this the true Original Soundtrack?

The original score to Midway was never released, the Varese re-recording is the only version of the actual soundtrack.

However there was a 45 LP that had the two themes; Men Of The Yorktown and Midway March.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog...hp?movieid=9665

The original score to Midway was never released, the Varese re-recording is the only version of the actual soundtrack.

However there was a 45 LP that had the two themes; Men Of The Yorktown and Midway March.

I have this Japanese single, complete with picture inner sleve, plastic outer sleve, and an infomation sheet, printed in Japanese. I bought it from (the now defunct) 58 Dean Street Records, London, about 15 years ago, for the princely sum of £7:50. I guess that must be about $12. The only other place where you will find these two tracks is on a Japanese import of "Filmworks" c.d. Happy hunting.

I have this Japanese single, complete with picture inner sleve, plastic outer sleve, and an infomation sheet, printed in Japanese. I bought it from (the now defunct) 58 Dean Street Records, London, about 15 years ago, for the princely sum of £7:50. I guess that must be about $12. The only other place where you will find these two tracks is on a Japanese import of "Filmworks" c.d. Happy hunting.

I have that. "Filmworks"-- it's really great. Also has music from Jaws 2, The Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, etc...

I have Jaws 2 the album, but Earthquake and Eiger have eluded me so far.

So, I may be going to the US soon and since it's always hard and expensive to buy scores here I was thinking about trying to find some whie I'm there and get 3 or 4. So, anyway I would very much like to hear opinions on the following:

Jerry Goldsmith, I like him quite a bit but I have relatively few scores by him, I was thinking about maybe getting The Mummy, Legend, Basic Instinct or King Solomon's Mine.

From Horner, I was thinking about Legend of Zorro, I have the first one, and I like it quite a bit even if it's pretty much Willow with a Latin flavor. I would also like his Star Trek scores but I think those are long out of print.

From Elfman I was thinking about Mission Impossible or Men in Black.

I was also thinking about getting Silvestri's Van Helsing, and lately I've been getting into Giacchino so I'm also considering Speed Racer. Oh and maybe the re-recording of Psycho by Debney (or was it McNeely?)

Anyway it all depends on what I can find, and I don't think I'd buy more than 4 since the economy still sucks. I'll appreciate any comment.

I do, I have The Omen trilogy, Poltergeist (my favorite non-Williams score), Twilight Zone and Star Trek: TMP. I got into him late, I was a "Williams-only" fan for some time, and now it's hard to find his CDs around here.

I think Alan Silvestri's Castaway may be the shortest I can recall.

I think at its time, Goldsmith's Fierce Creatures was among the shortest at 29:13 (and that's actually the extended version made by Goldsmith himself for the album). Though if you skip the songs, Morris' Spaceballs adds up to a dazzling 7:21.

The Great Train Robbery is a good transition score to turn a Williams fan into a Goldsmith fan. Worked for me, at least.

Here are my recommendations:

Goldsmith: Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Mummy, The Omen (I don't have many by him, so I'm probably not the best to talk to)

Horner: Titanic, Casper, Field of Dreams (again, don't have many Horner scores)

Elfman: Edward Scissorhands (!!!), Nightmare Before Christmas (if you don't like musicals maybe skip this one), Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow

Of the two Elfman choices listed, I would say Mission: Impossible. I have never listened to Men In Black, but I have troubles believing it is superior to the wonderfully atmospheric (not to say that it does not have anything else) Mission: Impossible.

"Nick", who also suggests that you do not listen to indy4's advice regarding Mission: Impossible