The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

I haven't put this onto my iPod yet, and since I never burned the complete score to CD-R back in the day, I have never given this score much listen. I found it perplexing that Davis would not have used the theme from The Lost World in this movie, since JP3 takes place on Isla Sorna, not Isla Nublar.

I'm sure he just used whatever sounded best / whatever was more familiar / whatever the film makers requested

Can anyone tell me what the first part of "The Arrival Of Sky Harbour" ("The Mothership", on the SE), might have scored? I can't think of any part of the film (except, of course, a deleted scene) that it could have scored. The first part of the scene works so well without score.

I'm still trying to figure out what the first part of "Night Seige" ("Trucking" on the SE) is supposed to underscore.

I'm still trying to figure out what the first part of "Night Seige" ("Trucking" on the SE) is supposed to underscore.

Me, too, Mark. Me, too.

Is The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing any good? And Cinderella Liberty?

TMWLCD is not bad at all, really. It's a little bit anachronistic for a western score, but not too wierd to fall into the "revisionist" category. Perhaps Michel Legrand's score would have suited the film better, but, I guess, we'll never know...

CL, on the other hand, is an unsung gem of a score. I have LOVED this music ever since I bought it on vinyl, in 1975. It is contemporary, and very melodical (think: "Something For Rosa", "Miles On Wheels", or "Something For Susan"), but with a "loose" vibe.

TMWLCD is not bad at all, really. It's a little bit anachronistic for a western score, but not too wierd to fall into the "revisionist" category. Perhaps Michel Legrand's score would have suited the film better, but, I guess, we'll never know...

CL, on the other hand, is an unsung gem of a score. I have LOVED this music ever since I bought it on vinyl, in 1975. It is contemporary, and very melodical (think: "Something For Rosa", "Miles On Wheels", or "Something For Susan"), but with a "loose" vibe.

And has one of those great melancholic jazz/blues ballads Johnny wrote back then at its core (LONG GOODBYE is another one).

As i get older, i find myself returning to that stuff much more often than to neo-romantic love themes (like ACROSS THE STARS) which start to sound phony to my ears.

Well you can try to check if the rejected score fits better....

Perhaps I'd ask this better here: does anybody know if moviemusic.com puts a different amount on the international packages to avoid customs?

I personally don't like Cat Dancing. I thought it would be similar to the other Mark Rydell Williams scores based on the samples, but I found it overall to be a very tedious listening experience. It's a bottle cap. I'm split on Cinderella Liberty, however. I know it has its fans. There are some nice tracks but it's overall too blues-sounding and un-Williams for me, at least the style of Williams I'm most fond of. It's still interesting,%s۠ It certainly isn't bad.

Perhaps I'd ask this better here: does anybody know if moviemusic.com puts a different amount on the international packages to avoid customs?

I'd just send an email to PeterK and ask him. :D

I'd just send an email to PeterK and ask him. :D

When I received my package of BTTF and THE GOONIES from SAE, it had a combined value of $10 declared on the package. If only that was what I'd actually paid for it...

I did send an e-mail! Basically, it's the SAE-system for limited editions, and full value for some other more regular soundtracks.

I got my Star Trek from them; I won't risk another customs rip-off again after ordering Timeline & Great Train Robbery from Varèse years ago; and SAE unfortunately charges an extra amount for multiple discs. After the already additional "Deluxe" amount, that was a bit too much :D

But I've heard good things about moviemusic.com so looking forward to the 'experience'.

I personally don't like Cat Dancing. I thought it would be similar to the other Mark Rydell Williams scores based on the samples, but I found it overall to be a very tedious listening experience. It's a bottle cap.

So basically, you are The Man Who Didn't Like Cat Dancing.

Ok, I just need a little clarification. I always hear discussion of James Horner's danger theme, and I am pretty sure what it is, but could somebody maybe give me a few definitie track times/examples? That would be helpful...

Ok, I just need a little clarification. I always hear discussion of James Horner's danger theme, and I am pretty sure what it is, but could somebody maybe give me a few definitie track times/examples? That would be helpful...

It's the first thing you hear in "Surprise Attack" from WoK.

It gets a robust workout in the opening track to Willow.

One of my "favourite" variations on it is in the opening track of Enemy at the Gates at around 6:00-minute mark. Maybe because of the massive chorus or maybe because it's barely audible beneath it. ;) Anyway, the most extensive use of this motif can be found in Troy. Ironically, this score doesn't irritate me at all. On album, at least. I'm not counting the song at the end. But, truth be told, all Horner's songs are horrible. And yes, I mean all of them.

Karol - who is now more keen to forgive Horner for being Horner (probably because the bar in film scoring is now set incredibly low)

It's the first thing you hear in "Surprise Attack" from WoK.

M'kay, that's what I thought it was. I guess I got confused because I had seen elsewhere other people referring to the exact same part as the "Khan Theme" and then going on to say Avatar used both the Danger Motif and the "Khan Theme", which didn't make sense to me because I thought that part was the Danger motif.

Thanks, though.

Wish I knew...sorry!

As for my own question: does anyone have any theories or information on how the bit after the opening drum feature in POA's "Buckbeak's Flight" is supposed to go? The actual track and the version in the credits are slightly different in the beginning, even though the bulk of the cue is the exact same recording. Specifically, the bassoon/bass clarinet passage before the violins come in is slightly longer in the credits version, and there's a harp glissando and cymbal crash not heard in the main track. At least one of the two versions contains an edit 1.35 seconds before the violins come in - everything's identical from there on out (though the film version uses the ending of that other unreleased cue, of course).

What's really interesting is that this beginning passage is almost identical in the film and album versions of the credits...but right at that same moment, 1.35 seconds before the violins' entrance, at least one of the two seems to have been edited, but the edit only lasts a moment. They sync up again a split second later. The length, cymbals, and harp are all the same, though they're mixed a little differently.

Anyway, I suppose the only way we'll know for sure is if either the original sheet music leaks or a complete soundtrack is eventually released. But at least one of these versions does not reflect the way it was originally recorded, and it annoys me not knowing! :rolleyes:

I know of three concert recordings of 1941 music on CD: the March, Battle for Hollywood and Swing, Swing, Swing. Are there any others?

Not sure if the March is on "By Request", and, if it is, if it is different to the version on "Pops On The March".

Don't forget the film version of SSS-it does not have a string section, or the film version of the End Title-the cannons are slghtly different (jeez, I'm anal!).

I had a question pertaining to the Close Encounters soundtrack albums prior to 1998 Collector's Edition. I don't own one of those, but are they worth picking up, are there good concert recordings, etc. on them?

The Varese disc? It's OK. I believe the differences are editorially created, rather than concert arrangements. Nocturnal Pursuit is an example. The Conversation seems to be a different take, though. I consider the sound quality to be a bit inferior to the 1998 version. You also get the disco version at the end, which is fun. I'd say it's only for completism's sake really. But if you can find it for a few bucks, it's worth owning.

I like the old CE3K album. It's a standard JW original soundtrack--not the complete score, alternate takes, out of order, cues interpolated. Plus, yeah the sound quality is not that great (though it's by no means poor). I like it when I'm not in the mood for the CE. It runs about 40 mins. I would recommend it.

What is up with the shark on the back of the Jaws 3-D CD?

jaws3dimage.jpg

I'd never seen this image before. Does anyone remember it being used for promotion of the film? It's bizarre.

I've always wondered that. Perhaps it was part of the original promotion/concept for JAWS 3, PEOPLE 0. Can't imagine it having anything to do with the actual JAWS 3-D film.

Jaws 2 question: Does anyone know specifically what scene the second half of "Brody Misunderstood" was meant to underscore? (after the panic on the beach scene where Shaun helps Brody pick up the shells, the cue continues into some delightful and sensitive territory.)

Jaws 2 question: Does anyone know specifically what scene the second half of "Brody Misunderstood" was meant to underscore? (after the panic on the beach scene where Shaun helps Brody pick up the shells, the cue continues into some delightful and sensitive territory.)

Perhaps after he gets fired, and Hendricks comes over?

I did a breakdown of Jaws 2. I believe the music was probably meant to continue scoring the next sequence or was dropped from another part of the film.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14277

If you don't own the CD "Williams On Williams", you could buy the 5 Hook tracks from it as mp3s

http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Classic-Spielberg-Scores/dp/B000002C0F/

If you want some non-film score music, The Limousine's debut song is only available digitally:

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Busy-People-Explicit/dp/B00270CL5I/

Stone Temple Pilot's best album is on sale for $5.99 as mp3:

http://www.amazon.com/Purple/dp/B001OGPTZ0/

As is Muse's most popular album:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Holes-Revelations-Updated-version/dp/B002CNST10/

Throw in a few more bucks and you can get Dream Theater's best album:

http://www.amazon.com/Images-And-Words/dp/B001AXNGX4/

What is up with the shark on the back of the Jaws 3-D CD?

jaws3dimage.jpg

I'd never seen this image before. Does anyone remember it being used for promotion of the film? It's bizarre.

I suppose one could ask over at the Intrada forum.

I went ahead and asked.

On 11/06/2010 at 2:23 PM, Jason LeBlanc said:

If you don't own the CD "Williams On Williams", you could buy the 5 Hook tracks from it as mp3s

http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Classic-Spielberg-Scores/dp/B000002C0F/

If I've got the OST and the "Flight to Neverland" concert suite from the John Williams: Greatest Hits, would you recommend the tracks from the Williams on Williams album?

ABSOLUTELY.

The concert arrangements of HOOK material he made for that album are brilliant! They expand on the themes from the score in new ways not heard on the OST (or in the film). Great stuff

ABSOLUTELY.

The concert arrangements of HOOK material he made for that album are brilliant! They expand on the themes from the score in new ways not heard on the OST (or in the film). Great stuff

Don't forget though that the original Hook album already contains plenty of concert pieces. The tracks on Williams on Williams are fine, but my favourite on that album actually turned out to be E.T.'s Flying. The performance has a wonderfully light feeling to it.