The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

14 hours ago, karelm said:

For someone who has never watched Game of Thrones, I am told it is something I would absolutely love.  What is it about this show that captivates its audiences into such ravenous fandom?  Basically, I need a sort of crash course on why it's great without too many spoilers.

It has boobs and little people, what more do you need to know?

Oh, and if you liked DS9, it's aces because Alexander Siddig is the star.

Most of the excessive shots of tits and ass are in the earlier episodes anyways, so if you like either, start at the beginning. If you're a prude, stay away from this show and watch Touched by an Angel instead. Besides, watching Game of Thrones from the beginning gives you the character motivations for what everyone is doing now. Some of their machinations would make less sense otherwise. 

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Have you ever seen Verhoeven's Flesh + Blood? It's just like that!

Yes I have, and I like it, although I prefer Roxy Music's FLESH+BLOOD :lol:

All together, now:

#my friend's flesh and blood.

streetwise, for her time.

you'd nail her, if you could

but she says "love me for my mind" #

4 hours ago, karelm said:

No, I haven't seen that either.  Is Game of Thrones serial so it's hard to jump in mid way through?  Basically, like Lost you had to watch each episode in order otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

You absolutely must watch  in order and from the beginning. It's highly serialized, basically one long continuing story. There are no self contained, one off episodes. 

Does an extended version of BATMAN FOREVER exist? I've read that the original cut was 160 mins, or something like that. I've been checking-out the deleted scenes (is Rene Auberjonois trying to look like Tim Burton? :lol:) and they look good. 

• 2 months later...

So you mean something more "folksy" than ye olde swashbuckling orchestral pirate music sound?

There is a little bit in my favourite Cutthroat Island, but admittedly not a whole lot.

Actually, that element is probably the only thing that the first PotC film score has (to some slight extent) that DOES indicate it is for a pirate movie rather than a generic action film.

And Up is Down from the third film has a somewhat similar idea on woodwinds.

Master and Commander has a more "period appropriate" approach to its music.

The Master of Ballantrae by Bruce Broughton has a bit of a Scottish variation on it as well.

I haven't listened to Pirate's Passage by Andrew Lockington yet but it might fit the bill too.

And perhaps some of The Pirates: Band of Misfits by Theodore Shapiro.

And the track Silver Leaves from James Newton Howard's Treasure Planet comes pretty close.

The main composer for the Pirate game project I used to be involved in (see my signature) is also a great fan of using a more accurate historical influence for its music.

So there are a few tracks from that which you might like.

I do have a rather large list of seafaring music that you can find here:

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/pirate-film-music.11723/page-7#post-539138

Of course there is a very wide range of styles in there and not all of them are equally good.

But it might be of some use to you.

On 12/11/2016 at 1:04 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

So you mean something more "folksy" than ye olde swashbuckling orchestral pirate music sound?

Yep. But I'd also like something that shares the same "spirit", the same feel as the track I posted above (it's pretty vague, sure, but that's the best way I can describe it!).

And Up is Down from the third film has a somewhat similar idea on woodwinds.

Yep, that's a good one, though in that track, that sound is meshed with the more epic bombast of the full orchestra, unfortunately.

Master and Commander has a more "period appropriate" approach to its music.

Yeah, this one does that have some folksy music. However, it doesn't have the same feel as the track I posted above.

The Master of Ballantrae by Bruce Broughton has a bit of a Scottish variation on it as well.

Not familiar with th. Will have to check it out!

I haven't listened to Pirate's Passage by Andrew Lockington yet but it might fit the bill too.

I listen to that one some time ago, but it has barely any pirate-like music in it.

And perhaps some of The Pirates: Band of Misfits by Theodore Shapiro.

Nope, this one doesn't have what I'm looknig for. Good score, though. Recommended, if you haven't listened to it!

And the track Silver Leaves from James Newton Howard's Treasure Planet comes pretty close.

Not bad, but again, doesn't have teh same feel as the track I posted above, unfortunately.

The main composer for the Pirate game project I used to be involved in (see my signature) is also a great fan of using a more accurate historical influence for its music.

So there are a few tracks from that which you might like.

I do have a rather large list of seafaring music that you can find here:

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/pirate-film-music.11723/page-7#post-539138

Of course there is a very wide range of styles in there and not all of them are equally good.

But it might be of some use to you.

Will check this out. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Oh, and here are two other tracks that are somehow similar to what I'm looking for in terms of feel:

And the beginning of that one is a bit similar to what I'm looking for (though not quite it):

So something more "drunk" and Tavern-like then?

That's admittedly a tricky one because I myself have always been on the lookout for the more orchestral stuff.

There's a bit of influence from that in Williams' "Haddock Takes the Oars" from Tintin, which I like rather a lot.

And I can also recommend Fort Ross by Yuri Poteyenko

Very maybe, there could be some of it in The Buccaneer by Elmer Bernstein as well.

Other than that, you get away from the mainstream movies and more towards video games like you've already noticed.

The following ones may have some tracks that fit the bill:

Destination: Treasure Island by Olivier Derivière

Pirate Master Theme by Russ Landau

Pirates by Guy-Roger Duvert

Treasure Island (1990) by The Chieftains

There are some nice Tavern tracks in Pirates of the Caribbean by Yuri Poteyenko as well (this is completely sonically unrelated to the films).

And I do still stand by Hearts of Oak which has a fair few enjoyable ones.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

So something more "drunk" and Tavern-like then?

Yeah, that's a good way to put it, I suppose.

There's a bit of influence from that in Williams' "Haddock Takes the Oars" from Tintin, which I like rather a lot.

Yes, excellent example!

And I can also recommend Fort Ross by Yuri Poteyenko

Very maybe, there could be some of it in The Buccaneer by Elmer Bernstein as well.

Other than that, you get away from the mainstream movies and more towards video games like you've already noticed.

The following ones may have some tracks that fit the bill:

Destination: Treasure Island by Olivier Derivière

Pirate Master Theme by Russ Landau

Pirates by Guy-Roger Duvert

Treasure Island (1990) by The Chieftains

There are some nice Tavern tracks in Pirates of the Caribbean by Yuri Poteyenko as well (this is completely sonically unrelated to the films).

And I do still stand by Hearts of Oak which has a fair few enjoyable ones.

OK, will check all that!

Thanks again for the help!

The Scarlet Buccaneer? That doesn't sound familiar to me; I only know The Crimson Pirate!

And which Robinson Crusoe TV series are you referring to?

The only Crusoe I've got is for this animated film with music by Ramin Djawadi.

What I heard of that sounded entertaining for sure, but more Caribbean than "drunk Tavern".

A couple of suggestions from me that might fit the bill are, firstly, Gorgo by Angelo Francesco Lavagnino.  Check out tracks such as the Main Title and On The Island, for example, that feature a lovely accordion solo (an excellent rerecording is available from Monstrous Movie Music).  What's not to like about a monster rampaging through London and destroying Tower Bridge?

http://www.mmmrecordings.com/Audio_Samples/audio_samples.html#More Monstrous Movie Music Sounds

I would also thoroughly recommend the film music of Clifton Parker, who wrote some wonderful music for films about the sea.  Listen to the main title music for Treasure Island on the excellent Chandos CD.  It might not be exactly what you are looking for, but surely inhabits the same archipelago!

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 10279

Actually that whole CD is superb.

It's not pirate music, but rather belongs to the (also wonderful) genre of British seafaring music, and it's not a soundtrack, but perhaps there's something for you in the quieter parts of Goodwin's Drake 400?

And how about Nantucket Docks from Gordon's Moby Dick, which I can't find on YouTube?

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I once knew a girl from Nantucket!

who crossed the sea in a bucket, 
and when she got there, 
they asked for the fare, 
so she pulled up her dress and said "fuck it."

On 12/10/2016 at 3:11 PM, BloodBoal said:

I'm looking for scores/tracks that offer music similar to the one heard during the first 20 seconds of Burger Beard Starts To Read The Story from Debney's Spongebog Movie score (basically stuff that (at least to me) sounds like pirate music in its purest form).

Anyone can help with that? @Pieter_Boelen, perhaps, given pirate music is his thing?

Already familiar with Monkey Island (which has some material similar to that), so no need to suggest that one.

How about this orchestrated by yours truly.

3 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

This might not be that quick of a question, but what exactly transpired between Jackson and Shore when working on the first Hobbit film? Like, how much is known for certain about what actually happened between the two? 

What are you talking about? 

Does anyone know if Apple is going to update the iMac line anytime soon?  I understand they've not been updated in some time but was expecting it would get a refresh along with the laptops last month but they weren't.

8 hours ago, Richard said:

What's the real reason that JW didn't score GOF? Does anyone buy that "scheduling conflict" stuff? I heard that Newell hated JW music. Is this true?

How in the world would it have been possible to score GOF AND Munich AND Geisha when all three opened around the same time? There's your answer. 

On 12/17/2016 at 10:16 AM, karelm said:

Does anyone know if Apple is going to update the iMac line anytime soon?  I understand they've not been updated in some time but was expecting it would get a refresh along with the laptops last month but they weren't.

Just came across this:

Apple hasn’t upgraded its Mac Pro in more than 1,098 days, according to MacRumors, which lists it as a “don’t buy” in its buyer’s guide. Similarly, the site says the iMac hasn’t been updated in more than 400 days, again a “don’t buy.”

Either Apple thinks it’s going to turn the desktop computer market on its head, it’s really finished altogether, or it’s just approaching it in a much more lackadaisical manner. Maybe Apple knows Macs aren’t in as high a demand as they once were, given that consumers put a premium on portability, but there’s still a large audience of pros who prefer desktop-class processors and graphics capabilities. Microsoft is moving full steam ahead with its new Surface Studio, and Windows 10 PCs are becoming more appealing by the day. Will Apple sit by and let Microsoft eat its lunch?

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/12/21/apple-is-lost/

59 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Other than Abzû, are there any video game scores from this year worth checking out?

There are some scores for next year that were recorded this year worth checking out.  ;)

Sorry, I realize I worded my question wrong so just reworded it.  I know there's Full Throttle remastered coming, I was asking if they would re-orchestrate and re-record the music like they did for Grim Fandango