The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Then why doesn't Monkey Shines have that cover? ;)

Image result for monkey shines david shire

Though I'd argue Monkey Shines doesn't count because it isn't crappy, I like the other two aforementioned movies (and scores), so I'm in no position to be contrarian.

11 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Image result for link jerry goldsmith

I have never seen or heard of this movie, but that cover is legitimately terrifying.

How are music recordings not filled with the sound of pages turning? Are the pages arranged and printed in a way to minimise it, is it removed/diminished afterwards in mixing or is it nixed by a special recording setup?

When I (as a European) sign up at amazon.com it is mentioned that in addition to the price of the product and the shipping costs there could be an extra toll for shipment overseas. Does this apply to something as a single CD?

I guess it depends on your country's laws on customs. though I never ordered anything from a store outside Europe, so I'm not the expert.

51 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

When I (as a European) sign up at amazon.com it is mentioned that in addition to the price of the product and the shipping costs there could be an extra toll for shipment overseas. Does this apply to something as a single CD?

I already bought a CD on ebay, I pay for shipping fees (US to Canada)... and I had to pay others fees to get it at my local Post Office.  Of course, I gave the seller only 1 star as review. He did'nt chose the right shipping method, he chose a cheaper one and he put the money in his pockets... burglar.

Normally, Amazon will charge you the right shipping fees, you'll don't have to pay additional fees when getting the parcel.

But, I don't know, maybe it depends if you buy from Amazon directly or from the markeplace. At least, they notice you it could happen.

55 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

You have to pay taxes when the value stated on the package is above a certain value, and that value depends on the country you're living in. In Norway, it's approx. €37 (including shipping charge) at the current exchange rate.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You have to pay taxes when the value stated on the package is above a certain value, and that value depends on the country you're living in. In Norway, it's approx. €37 (including shipping charge) at the current exchange rate.

So, when the seller doesn't state the value of the package, I wouldn't have to pay?

Anyway, how much do you have to pay usually?

If I remember correctly, when Bolle bought an album for about 40€ including shipping from Varese, he had to pay an additional 45€ or something to recieve it. That's just insane.

My advice is: if you really love John Wiliams and want to collect his albums, move in America. 😀

8 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

So, when the seller doesn't state the value of the package, I wouldn't have to pay?

Anyway, how much do you have to pay usually?

If the seller doesn't state the value, the customs guys use some standard rates.

If the seller states an incorrect value (to avoid customs), it usually goes well.

I have to pay value added tax (VAT) which in Norway is 25%, in addition to a fee which usually is significantly more than the tax.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

My advice is: if you really love John Wiliams and want to collect his albums, move in America. 😀

If you ask politely you might get to live in JW's house, like under the stairs or something.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If you ask politely you might get to live in JW's house, like under the stairs or something.

... and wait to be saved one day by a kind of Hagrid?

Com'on show John Williams how you really love him. Move in his country. What are you waiting for?

It's not about John Williams, it's about Jerry Goldsmith in this case. Sadly, I cannot shown him any more, how much I love him. Anyway, he would have hated me, because I'm a bottlecapper.

Turns out I've had Close Encounters of the Third Kind all this time. More specifically, grandpa's had the Arista album with 26 tracks.

I've never really delved into this score before. How's this album? 

It sounds a bit wonky, but it's a better listen than the hastily slapped together '77 OST.  Disc 1 of the 2017 LLL edition is way better than it, both in sound quality and presentation of music.

Anyone have any idea how much music from the film is missing here (if any is missing at all, I'm assuming there's some stuff missing just to be safe)? 

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B0013JK6A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530045312&sr=8-1&keywords=peter+pan+soundtrack

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Turns out I've had Close Encounters of the Third Kind all this time. More specifically, grandpa's had the Arista album with 26 tracks.

I've never really delved into this score before. How's this album? 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It sounds a bit wonky

Wonky? It sounds fantastic!

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Sounds fantastic, and is an amazing listening experience. One of Williams' absolute best albums, it flows so incredibly well. 

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I thought it sounded fine at the time, but the 2017 remix is much better than the 1998 remix I'd say. The choir is so much more prominent on the LLL edition, and the Dialogue track is really messed up on the 1998 CD. It just doesn't sound right, and doesn't even feature the Jaws bit. 

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Can I order 6 CDs directly from La-La Land without being apprehensive of extra fees/customs? (I'm living in Germany.)

Did anyone who is living in Europe buy directly from La-La Land already and knows how they handle it?

Recently a member of this forum sayed what I suspected, that the sound quality of the original vinyl of Dracula is far superior than the sound of the 1990 CD reissue.

So I look for a good WAV rip of a mint copy of this vinyl. I will digitally restore it and then we'll be finally able to finally compare.

I started a new thread dedicated to his fan-made restoration project --> 

Who here has confidence transferring a spinning hard drive to an SSD for seamless startup? What software would you recommend? I'm upgrading my laptop. 

44 minutes ago, Wojism said:

Who here has confidence transferring a spinning hard drive to an SSD for seamless startup? What software would you recommend? I'm upgrading my laptop. 

I have had this done before - let me see if we are saying the same thing.  My main drive was failing and needed to get replaced.  I had a 2 TB SSD as the replacement try.  I went to a local computer repair guy who I trust and he did a bit by bit copy from one drive to the next.  When you do that, the SSD thinks it is the old drive.  Is that what you mean?  I have a lot of iLok software and you have a few added steps - like you need to pause iLok apps before the transfer and re-enamble after otherwise your software will lock up.

Speaking of The Burbs, I'm wanting to take the Deluxe Edition and recreate the album presentation (but keep some cues from the DE), but the cue titles are different on each release. Any help as to which cue is what?

18 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Speaking of The Burbs, I'm wanting to take the Deluxe Edition and recreate the album presentation (but keep some cues from the DE), but the cue titles are different on each release. Any help as to which cue is what?

1. Main Title = Night Work (Main Title)
  2. Welcome to Mayfield Pl. = The Window / Home Delivery
  3. New Neighbors = Good Neighbors
  4. Klopek House = Let's Go
  5. Storytelling = The Sentinel
  6. Neighborhood Watch = My Neighborhood
  7. A Nightmare in the 'Burbs = The Dream
  8. Brownies? = Snooping Around
  9. The Assault = Hot Wires
  10. Ray Peterson, Neighbor from Hell = Something Is Moving
  11. Runaway Ambulance = My Skull / The Gurney
  12. Vacation's End = Pack Your Bags
  13. End Titles = Square One (End Credits)

Substantial omissions from the OST are Bad Karma, The Wig, Walter's Home and The Trunk.

Because Horner's score for Avatar was a masterpiece, one of his finest, and it's important to be cautious in choosing who will be handling/expanding upon the original film's musical legacy.

I personally think James Newton Howard is the perfect man for the job. He's a very versatile composer.

Personally, I'd guess at "neither". 

Jazz is said to be the USA's one indigenous music-form. Since Debussy died 100 years ago, he probably didn't get to hear much jazz. That being said, it's entirely possible that his music was beginning to some jazz idioms, whether he'd heard jazz, or not. Law of coincidences, and all that.

27 minutes ago, TGP said:

Both.  It was a feedback loop, same with Ravel, Stravinsky, Milhaud, etc. 

Shame that a lot of times things came back around, composers would make some real cheeky, riki-tiki music.

15 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Anyone else like the Modern Jazz Quartet?

I thought they were a little too stiff and self-conscious when I heard them. Composers like Duke Ellington, John Williams, Wayne Shorter, Gil Evans, Charles Mingus, and Lalo Schifrin offer a far more compelling, authentic, internalized synthesis of musical worlds than so many self-proclaimed "Third Stream" musicians.