rpvee

The Quick Question Thread

Just now, Richard said:

I would agree, after all he "fixed" both DIE HARD 2, and TOMB RAIDER.

I just don't see his work in R1. What I see is some apeing his style.

Perhaps this was the best he could do with the material and the schedule he was given?

Question time. I am looking for a program, free or not, that would accurately convert Hal Leonard's JW signature scores to MIDI. Right accents aren't important, notes are. Is this possible at all with today's technology?

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Question time. I am looking for a program, free or not, that would accurately convert Hal Leonard's JW signature scores to MIDI. Right accents aren't important, notes are. Is this possible at all with today's technology?

There are programs that scan a piece of sheet music and convert into digital notation that have existed for about a decade, but I never really looked into them to see how reliable they would be.

Apparently there's a new app called Playscore for phones and tablets that looks like it might be the simplest option (no scanner machine required), but again, I checked no reviews. Maybe there's a demo version available?

Well, I did check some reviews and my personal conclusion was that you either find software developers praising their own apps and users who say it only works with very simple music. I'll look into PlayScore.

I looked for such software over many years, but have not for a while. The conclusions I came to then was that no free software existed that would do that error free, and I was not going to take a chance on buying software that might not do what I needed.

At the time, I needed to engrave a pretty sloppily handwritten score, so I used an older copy of Finale. It was a very slow process, taking a few hours a day over weeks. But I knew there would be no way to scan the pages into a computer and trust its reasoning. 

There may be programs now that have no issues reading and converting engraved scores into midi. After all, we have phone apps that translate languages on the fly and read Amazon gift card codes without needing to type them. 

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

What, if any, are JW's major works, for piano? Has he ever composed a piano concerto? My guess is "no", but I could well be wrong.

You are not wrong.  for some reason, John has never written a Piano Concerto.

He has written two major concert works for piano, however.

One is the Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra from 2014

The other is a work for solo piano, Conversations.  Here is one movement:

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm just listening to The Flying Sequence from Superman and there's a really weird sound at around 6:48 (2008 set). Anyone know what this is? It sounds like a random bass guitar note, but it seems really out of place.

It's in the original OST too.  Probably stage noises which aren't that unusual.  I really don't think it's a musically intended noise.  Could also be a defect in the master tapes.

For those of you who have been asking for Conan The barbarian transcribed for organ, your wait is over.  I bring you this music to accompany your quest to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women! ...

On 9/13/2018 at 5:43 PM, bollemanneke said:

I'm just listening to The Flying Sequence from Superman and there's a really weird sound at around 6:48 (2008 set). Anyone know what this is? It sounds like a random bass guitar note, but it seems really out of place.

It’s the sound of a wire which breaks. You Know, Superman doesn’t really fly...

:sarcasm:

On 9/13/2018 at 10:43 PM, bollemanneke said:

It's the sound of a slapped bass guitar, playing (I think) an E.