The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

What about it specifically sounds awful? My ears aren't savvy enough to pick up on anything glaring.

To my ears, what sounds awful is the fact that there is hardly any top-end, and that the high strings are barely audible-it sonnds like the violins and violas were recorded in another room altogether. The sound of the high-end strings is reminescent of the placement of the same in the J.G "2001"-they just don't sound as though they belong to the same recording. This is hard to explain, I know, but, to my ears, it is just wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I invited a collegue to come over at my house and chat a little, he is studying musical composition and a little into filmmusic too. so we were having dinner and in the background I had the stereosystem, playing ROTJ from the Anthology box, in shuffle mode. And when "Through the Flames" playd he jumped out of his seat and yelled: "Hey cool thats Max Steiner's King Kong! You have that?!" and I was like.. "WTF?"

He was referring to the beginning of that cue and he claims that the "3 descending notes-King Kong theme is in there"

He hummed three descending notes and again a litle higher.. tahts the classic Kong theme he said

I am not familiar with that score, do you know what he means.. can you hear a similarity??

I will say this, Return of the Jedi has my least favorite of the three classic Main Titles.

I think it's my favorite of the three. It's the most rousing, I think. I missed the main titles having any kind of distinction in the PT as with the OT. Damn it!

"Hey cool thats Max Steiner's King Kong! You have that?!" and I was like.. "WTF?"

...you don't!? :nod:

He was referring to the beginning of that cue and he claims that the "3 descending notes-King Kong theme is in there"

He hummed three descending notes and again a litle higher.. tahts the classic Kong theme he said

I am not familiar with that score, do you know what he means.. can you hear a similarity??

Interesting observation. I never made the connection, but it's clear what he means. It's the same theme JNH quotes in the PJ version by the way.

Yesterday I invited a collegue to come over at my house and chat a little, he is studying musical composition and a little into filmmusic too. so we were having dinner and in the background I had the stereosystem, playing ROTJ from the Anthology box, in shuffle mode. And when "Through the Flames" playd he jumped out of his seat and yelled: "Hey cool thats Max Steiner's King Kong! You have that?!" and I was like.. "WTF?"

I understand what he means and can see how he might mistake Williams' cue for King Kong but it is a bit of a stretch.

I listened to "Defeat is only Momentary" from the new King Kong OST and I heard what he means, but it really is a littlebit of a stretch. But I find it funny that he heard that cue and immediatly thought of King Kong :)

It shouldn't be a surprise then that today's Hollywood in Vienna, which starts out with a Steiner focus (although apparently Barry made sure that the second half will definitely be his own), will also feature The Throne Room. :)

It shouldn't be a surprise then that today's Hollywood in Vienna, which starts out with a Steiner focus (although apparently Barry made sure that the second half will definitely be his own), will also feature The Throne Room. :P

I think they only play Casablanca...

If I would have time :) I would love to hear Seven Years in Tibet live... sad sad Esther...

To the best of my ability, the only Indy 4 pieces that have been performed have been "Irina's Theme," "Adventures of Mutt," and "Marion's Theme (new concert version)."

Here's a new one: I own the OST to both WoK and TMP. I now also own the FSM complete release of the former, and the 20th Anniversary expanded edition of the latter. Is there any reason to keep the OSTs?

Here's a new one: I own the OST to both WoK and TMP. I now also own the FSM complete release of the former, and the 20th Anniversary expanded edition of the latter. Is there any reason to keep the OSTs?

For Khan, nope. I'm not familiar with the TMP OST but I assume it's all on the 20th anniversary release.

For Khan, nope. I'm not familiar with the TMP OST but I assume it's all on the 20th anniversary release.

All tracks are on both releases, with one track (Genesis Countdown?) slightly longer on the new TWOK c.d. Personally, I NEVER get rid of any of my soundtrack c.d.s, as they complete the set.

To the best of my ability, the only Indy 4 pieces that have been performed have been "Irina's Theme," "Adventures of Mutt," and "Marion's Theme (new concert version)."

Oh, well... Thanks anyway.

And how about the Ark Theme? Has that one been conducted by JW live?

As always, thanks in advance.

As far as I know, that has never been performed live, not with John Williams conducting, anyways. The Indiana Jones pieces that are performed in concerts are:

Raiders March (usually with Marion's Theme as an interlude of sorts)

Parade of the Slave Children

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

Occasionally Indy's Very First Adventure (retitled to "Circus Train Chase" or something like that). Regardless of the title it assumes, it is never played that often, which I think is unfortunate.

And as indy4 said: Adventures of Mutt

Irina's Theme

Marion's Theme (new arrangement)

That is all of them, unless my memory failed me.

As far as I know, that has never been performed live, not with John Williams conducting, anyways. The Indiana Jones pieces that are performed in concerts are:

Raiders March (usually with Marion's Theme as an interlude of sorts)

Parade of the Slave Children

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

Occasionally Indy's Very First Adventure (retitled to "Circus Train Chase" or something like that). Regardless of the title it assumes, it is never played that often, which I think is unfortunate.

And as indy4 said: Adventures of Mutt

Irina's Theme

Marion's Theme (new arrangement)

That is all of them, unless my memory failed me.

Oh, that's a shame! How is it possible that the best McGuffin theme has never been conducted by Johnny? I wish that Frank Langella told him "Why you never play this theme?" and then JW says: "Ok, I'll play it tonight" and he arranges it a few minutes before the concert and... Tadaaa! :unsure:

I think "The Mine Cart Chase" would be a really good candidate for a concert setting. It features a couple of themes unique to the cue, and it's just flat a cool piece for the orchestra.

If they could accomplish it for the recording, it can be accomplished for a performance. Now, yes, you may limit how many orchestras could play it, but I don't think there's any inherent need to slow it down for a concert. Just make sure you go hear it performed by a good orchestra. ;)

An orchestra in performance always has a major disadvantage to an orchestra that was recorded, regardless of actual skill. The performing orchestra usually has a very limited time to rehearse the piece. They have a single opportunity in which they must be victorious, as opposed to a recorded orchestra's ability to record several times until they perfect the performance. Not only this, but the performing orchestra is more likely to screw up in their one opportunity due to the knowledge that they only have that single chance to succeed. A recorded orchestra benefits from having mixers who can perfect the music beyond the ability of the actual musicians. I doubt even an orchestra like the LSO could perform "Mine Car Chase" as good as the original, under usual concert circumstances.

I've heard the duel music from Adventures of Robin Hood performed live, at original speed, and it easily matched (or beat) any recording I've ever heard of the piece. Granted, that was the rehearsal, and it wasn't quite as flawless in the final concert, but still.

When we had the mini JWFAN gathering in Houston, the Houston Symphony played "The Creation" from The Bride Of Frankenstein and it felt like we were on the actual scoring stage.

Does anybody know what the piece of music played in Weight Watchers' "Momentum" TV commercials, featuring the orange Hungry monster? It sounds like it could be a real piece of classical music or 20th century jazz-type music, and I'd really like to hear it in a longer, isolated session.

well this sounds like special composed music/ or stock music. It is def. a sampled orchestra. allthough it has good samples

if you check the opther commercials on youtube you will notice it always has the same music but difgferent variations (some sound more smpled some less)

Can anybody help me? I want to buy a rather Microstereosystem - I have heard that some of those are really soundmiracles!!

so just by looking at this model, and the specifications, would you say it is any good (reg sound)? cause I am a technical noob..

http://www.amazon.de/JVC-Kompaktanlage-DVD-Player-UKW-Tuner-Lautsprecher/dp/tech-data/B001TE00GU/ref=de_a_smtd

As much as I would like to have a component tower - I don't have enough room/or enough money..

But if you can tell me a decentReciever/Amp - Cd player and 2 speakers for roughly 350€ I would be very thankful..

Last time I looked at that stuff was years ago, so I'm not of much help here. But if you have the room, I'd suggest still keeping your eyes open for components, too. The best solution is to find a small quality HIFI store that's closing or selling off stock. If you go for an integrated system, make sure it has the necessary inputs (and perhaps outputs) to connect other components. That way you won't regret your decision within just a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, people, I'm thinking of buying two 3-c.d. sets of "Star Trek TMP", and "The Swarm" "sessions". Does anyone have any of these, and, if so, what is the sound quality like? BTW, does anyone know if you can get hold of "The Eleventh Commandment"?

What did you order? Usually they get them out as quickly as possible. I usually don't get a shipping confirmation until my order arrives.

Hey, people, I'm thinking of buying two 3-c.d. sets of "Star Trek TMP", and "The Swarm" "sessions". Does anyone have any of these, and, if so, what is the sound quality like? BTW, does anyone know if you can get hold of "The Eleventh Commandment"?

I wouldn't buy them because they are bootlegs.

What did you order? Usually they get them out as quickly as possible. I usually don't get a shipping confirmation until my order arrives.

I wouldn't buy them because they are bootlegs.

I hear what you are saying, Mark, and there's the rub. I wouldn't want to get involved with an activity that is, perhaps, immoral at best, and, at worst, against the law. In my defence I will say this: to paraphrase Sarek; "My logic is uncertain, where John Williams, and Jerry Goldsmith are concerned." I have heard some bootlegs, and they vary in quailty from "C.E.3.K.", and "I.J. + T.L.C." (bloody awful), to "Far And Away" vol. 2 (not bad), to "factory pressed "A.I." 2-c.d.(brillant!),

The question is, IMO, undoubtly a moral one-stick with the offical c.d., and lose the possibility of hearing all that lovely rare music, of give in to temptation, possibly break the law, and willingly give your money to goodness knows what all! It is not a question that will ever be answered soon, but I would be very interested to read what other people think.

As much as I would like to have a component tower - I don't have enough room/or enough money..

But if you can tell me a decentReciever/Amp - Cd player and 2 speakers for roughly 350€ I would be very thankful..

I suggest you something like this.

Onkyo is a very good choice. I bought the CS-315 model a couple of years ago (now out of catalogue) and I'm very satisfied. They're good, lovely minisystems, with great sound. It's a real bargain.

Dark Of The Sun - Loussier

I see I'm not the only one who decided he needs this. <_< It'll be part of my next SAE order. (Still waiting for that Morricone from Play btw... once again they shipped a wrong CD)

I hear what you are saying, Mark, and there's the rub. I wouldn't want to get involved with an activity that is, perhaps, immoral at best, and, at worst, against the law. In my defence I will say this: to paraphrase Sarek; "My logic is uncertain, where John Williams, and Jerry Goldsmith are concerned." I have heard some bootlegs, and they vary in quailty from "C.E.3.K.", and "I.J. + T.L.C." (bloody awful), to "Far And Away" vol. 2 (not bad), to "factory pressed "A.I." 2-c.d.(brillant!),

Oh, I think you understood Mark wrong. The question isn't so much one of getting or not getting it, but rather one of paying for an unmentionable or getting it somewhere else. The general idea being: Buy originals, find the others.

If you have to pay for something that you can't buy through SAE, Amazon, or a private label -- and actually never, ever had the opportunity to do so, either -- there's probably something you can do differently.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jason.

So now to give her props for the song in my <gulp> iTunes, I would tag her with John Williams as Artist, and make John Williams the AlbumArtist for Hook. Is that the best way? Absolutely none of my music files use AlbumArtist.

Hmmm, you could ignore Album Artist and keep the Artist as "John Williams" like everything else from Hook, but for the song title you could do "Childhood (with Demi Fragale)"

I would just make Williams the artist or else it will put the cue out of order.

If you put Williams as the Artist and Composer and put her as the Album Artist for her cue only, then you'll have to go in and put Williams as a the Album Artist on the rest of the cues.

Hmmm, you could ignore Album Artist and keep the Artist as "John Williams" like everything else from Hook, but for the song title you could do "Childhood (with Demi Fragale)"

This sounds like the better option. I'll adopt that tactic for the majority of the Horner scores, where he wrote the music for the end credits song, to avoid putting Diana Ross and Celine Dion in the artist tags.

I thought Album Artist represented the disc, and Artist could be used to break apart each individual song credit? That's the jist I get from the iTunes forums. And changing Album Artist using MP3Tag or MediaMonkey is easy, since I'm putting album art into my files and converting back to ISO tags anyways.

Take "O Brother, Where Art Thou" as an example. AlbumArtist would be be "Various Artists" and Artist would be each individual singer/group. Right?

I dunno, I just use the Artist and Composer fields.

One of these days I may re-visit filling the rest in. I may have gotten Artist and album Artist backwards.

It's only a big deal on the mixed soundtrack albums with different contributors, or something like a tribute album. I don't listen to the hiphop genres that consist of Artist A featuring Artist B.

Take "O Brother, Where Art Thou" as an example. AlbumArtist would be be "Various Artists" and Artist would be each individual singer/group. Right?

Right. That's exactly how it's supposed to work.