The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

I did the opposite and made a longer program featuring music from the fyc website :P

I agree the OST isn't the best selection of highlights from the full score.

On 11 May 2016 at 11:56 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Has anybody made an abbreviated playlist of Mission Impossible Rogue Nation?  The album feels a bit long and a bit too heavy on suspense music.

(cough, splutter) you want to edit a perfectly servicable, if ordinary OST???!!!! That's outrageous, I tell you!! Outrageous!!!!!!!

Continuing-on from my "The Abyss" question: are there any more inherent difficulties in mastering, for Blu-ray, a film shot in Super 35, as opposed to one shot in anamorphic, or Academy? Could this be why JC has not released "The Abyss", yet?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Continuing-on from my "The Abyss" question: are there any more inherent difficulties in mastering, for Blu-ray, a film shot in Super 35, as opposed to one shot in anamorphic, or Academy? Could this be why JC has not released "The Abyss", yet?

Absolutely not.  He's simply not made it a priority to sign off on new Abyss and True Lies BD masters yet.

On 5/9/2016 at 2:13 PM, Biodome said:

It seems to be a thread about stylistic similarities across Williams' scores. I was more interested in blatant re-use of themes, perhaps for fan service reasons, like in the E.T. Halloween Yoda moment, or maybe themes that are not presented as blatantly, but are still re-used (the hidden Emperor's Theme in SW:TPM). That's actually the only examples I could think of and I wanted to know if there are more of those. Maybe there are too few of them to warrant a separate thread, I'm not sure.

1941 references Jaws and Close Encounters!

The CE3K reference is not heard in either version of "1941", but it is on the 2-disc set.

"Escape From Peru" is quoted at the end of the interogation sequence in "IJ+TKOTCS".  "The Map Room: Dawn" is quoted as the door of Area 51 is opened, and as the Ark is glimpsed.

"The Imperial March" is quoted right at the end of the end titles of "TPM".

More to come, as I think of them.

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

"The Imperial March" is quoted right at the end of the end titles of "TPM".

More to come, as I think of them.

Can you really count that as a reference when it comes from the same musical franchise? Isn't that normal leitmotific usage as it isn't quoting any known variation of the theme for effect?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom quotes the Raiders' Basket Chase music verbatim during the finale's Thuggee chase for obvious comedic effect.

The Clash of the Lightsabers from The Empire Strikes Back is directly quoted in Revenge of the Sith (Anakin VS Obi-Wan), probably because as Lucas says, "It rhymes".

The snare drum motif which supports the main theme of JFK is used in Nixon for the footage of JFK getting off Air Force One on Lovefield Airport in Dallas.

I think you can, as the music is quoting a character who (as far as the chronology of the films is concerned) does not exist, yet, but I take your point. JWfaners could end up going around in circles, on this one.

Hey experts, talking about JW's music, is there many EDITED cues that became real arrangements?

The greatest example that comes to my mind is the Star Wars Main Theme. On the OST it appeared as an horrible edit... but it quicky became a real arrangement that was recorded many times... and continue to be played like that in concert.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Hey experts, talking about JW's music, is there many EDITED cues that became real arrangements?

The greatest example that comes to my mind is the Star Wars Main Theme. On the OST it appeared as an horrible edit... but it quicky became a real arrangement that was recorded many times... and continue to be played like that in concert.

Yes, it's happened a few times.

The Star Wars one you mentioned is probably the most famous.

Another famous one is Superman.  The track called "Theme From Superman" on the original 1978 LP is not a true concert arrangement at all, but actually a edit combining the opening of the original, unused prologue with most of the End Credits.  But its become a concert staple ever since.

"The March From 1941" on the 1979 LP is actually just a shortened edit of "The Finale" from the same LP; This edit of it then became a concert staple.

"My Friend, The Brachiosaurus" on the Jurassic Park OST is actually an edit combining the music for the triceratops scene with the brachiosauraus scene, and that was re-recorded by Williams for the "Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores" CD.

Also it seems that Duel of the Fates from TPM is actually a crazy edit of a bunch of smaller pieces, but we don't know for sure until the sheet music leaks.

2 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

Does Irina's theme count?

I thought about listing that one then chose not to.

The OST track called Irina's Theme is simply an edit of 7m56 End Credit, 3m28v2 Russians Reappear, and 1m4NR Irina Spalko.

However, in concerts JW never performed that; He wrote a new, original concert arrangement of her theme which is amazing and needs to be released legally.

Now I dunno if some Silva Screen CD recorded the OST version or not, but I'd still say even if they did it doesn't count.

Another question, one I apologize if I've asked before: does anyone know anything about the Star Trek main theme arrangement on the album Star Tracks? It's an absolutely phenomenal arrangement, but I've never been able to find any information on who arranged it, when, and for what purpose. Any ideas?

Does anybody recognize this presentation of the Star Trek theme?

https://webapp.zedge.net/searchResults/ringtone/4/Star%20trek?id=648054

It is startrekmaintheme1 at Zedge, in case the link fails to work. 

I don't recognize it from any of the movie soundtracks, though I haven't listened to all of the TOS box. 

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of QQs have been on my mind:

1/ does any JWfaner know why Dr. Chandra uses the words that he does, when he is rebooting HAL? Why those particular words? Are there any cunning linguists, out there?

2/does any JWfaner know of a hybrid of SUPERMAN II, a version of the film that combines the best of both the RL, and RD cuts?

On 5/24/2016 at 8:36 PM, WojinPA said:

Does anybody recognize this presentation of the Star Trek theme?

https://webapp.zedge.net/searchResults/ringtone/4/Star%20trek?id=648054

It is startrekmaintheme1 at Zedge, in case the link fails to work. 

I don't recognize it from any of the movie soundtracks, though I haven't listened to all of the TOS box. 

It sounds like a digitally slowed down (you can hear lots of artifacts in the processing) and pitch shifted performance of the original series end credits.  It isn't the one of the show but could be either an outtake from the series in that box set or an amateur performance.  It is about twice as slow as it should be so the processing artifacts are heard and the pitch is a semitone too high.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

A couple of QQs have been on my mind:

1/ does any JWfaner know why Dr. Chandra uses the words that he does, when he is rebooting HAL? Why those particular words? Are there any cunning linguists, out there?

2/does any JWfaner know of a hybrid of SUPERMAN II, a version of the film that combines the best of both the RL, and RD cuts?

1. I recall the book said those words were used to train Hal the basis of speech patterns by recitation. 

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Good question, but I guess that it might depend on how the information is decoded.

Assuming we're talking about lossless encodings, the decoding process shouldn't matter. And since the whole thing seems entirely material based, it's obviously not about the encoding process either:

SHM-CD is a digital optical disc data storage manufacturing process. It is an improved compact disc product with the greatest change being a different polycarbonate material that allows more precise physical representation of stored bits during pressing and less laser scatter during reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Calling all Bond fans!

I have a "TLD" question:

How did Necros know that Bond and Kara were in Vienna? Was there a deleted scene that explained this?

Also: given his successes with the LSO, why did JW record TOD in Los Angeles?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, there is a Trinity/Neo theme, something that's sort of like a "One" theme, a motif for Smith, a motif for the Sentinels, and the mirror chord thing which is a "something cool is happening in slow motion" motif.  Those last two are more just recurring structural elements in the music rather than specific dramatic things I guess, and there are a number of other elements like that.  That's where the real unity of the score is, and it means you have to approach it from a more classical perspective.  I think it's part of what makes it so special. 

There could well be other overtly thematic ideas as well that I haven't picked up on, but I don't think Davis intended to be deeply operatic in that regard. 

Here you have several.

At 2:50 is what I interpret as a "One" theme, and that segues into the Trinity/Neo theme.  They're similar in shape.  And then at 3:44 is a variation of the Smith cluster - you never really hear it the same way twice.

At 1:19, a more extended appearance of the One theme.

More than most multi-film scores, Davis' Matrix scores definitely feel like one massive classical work.

I also like this theme, which I suppose represents persistence, and is all over all three scores.  There are more clearly defined examples but that's the first one that sprang to mind.

Why all the crew say "Aye" in Star Trek II Wrath of Khan?

Since I watch Outlander, I know that Aye is Yes in Scottish.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I believe that It's a nautical term. Meyer wanted to make Starfleet more like a military organization - like a navy.

This is correct. Fifty point to Gryffindor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aye_aye,_sir

I've noticed that basically every digital music store has two versions of the Memoirs of a Geisha OST, the 2005 master and a newer "remaster" that apparently came out in 2012. Anyone know what that's all about?

Edit to speculate: Could it be the master used for Yo-Yo Ma's 90-disc "Out of the Box" set that came out in 2009?

9 hours ago, amh1219 said:

I've noticed that basically every digital music store has two versions of the Memoirs of a Geisha OST, the 2005 master and a newer "remaster" that apparently came out in 2012. Anyone know what that's all about?

Edit to speculate: Could it be the master used for Yo-Yo Ma's 90-disc "Out of the Box" set that came out in 2009?

Possible.

On my copy of "Yo-Yo Ma plays the music of John Williams" there's a mention in the back "remastered for Yo-Yo Ma: 30 years outside the box".

The album may have been remastered... but between 2005 and 2012, what the hell the difference can really be, if very subtile?

Remaster an album 10 times, you will have 10 different remastertings...

• 2 weeks later...

Did Williams arrange "Bess, Oh Where's My Bess" on the Jazz Beginnings album? It seems to follow the structure of "Hello" and sounds remarkably similar in style (contrary motion, chromaticism, fast arpeggios, highly contrasting phrases, similar harmonic progressions).

45 minutes ago, Jilal said:

Did Williams arrange "Bess, Oh Where's My Bess" on the Jazz Beginnings album? It seems to follow the structure of "Hello" and sounds remarkably similar in style (contrary motion, chromaticism, fast arpeggios, highly contrasting phrases, similar harmonic progressions).

I doesn't look like it was.  The album lists the ones he arranged and shows that one was from George and Ira Gershwin but I see its a re-release so maybe the original album showed him to be the arranger. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, let's say I have an audio file in which the music sounds really distant. What would be the best tool to use in an audio editing software to try to "improve" the quality as much as possible (if there is any)?