What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Fascinating history of Mrs. Columbo (the show) from wikipedia:

Mrs. Columbo, a spin-off TV series starring Kate Mulgrew, aired in 1979 and was canceled after only thirteen episodes. Lt. Columbo was never seen on Mrs. Columbo; each episode featured the resourceful Mrs. Columbo solving a murder mystery she encountered in her work as a newspaper reporter. Connections with the original Columbo series were made obvious: the glaring presence of Columbo's car in the driveway, Dog, and Mrs. Columbo emptying ashtrays containing the famous green cigar butts – all featured in the show's opening sequence. References were also made to Kate's husband being a police lieutenant.

There were also notable discrepancies between the two shows. Most visibly, Kate Mulgrew was much younger than was plausible for the role of Columbo's wife; only 24 when the Mrs. Columbo series aired, Mulgrew would have been 12 when we first saw Columbo talking about his wife in 1967's Prescription: Murder. Other discrepancies involved Mrs. Columbo having different interests and hobbies than had been previously described by the lieutenant.

Due to the negative critical and public reaction to the show, the producers made changes to Mrs. Columbo almost immediately. The spin-off was renamed Kate Columbo, followed by Kate the Detective, and finally Kate Loves a Mystery. The main character was likewise renamed "Kate Callahan"; all references to and ties with the original Columbo show were dropped. After this, a reference was made in the show to Kate's divorce: the character was no longer Mrs. Columbo nor was she meant to have any connection with him at all.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:57 AM, Alexcremers said:

I love the ancient Anthony Hopkins one. 

Can't wait for Westworld! Anthony Hopkins back to TV ... and it's where he belongs (because it's more interesting for actors these days).

Did you ever watch Tony Hopkins in "QB VII"?

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Jay said:

Hopefully season 4 is much better than season 3.

MUCH better.

21 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Nope ... B-everything!

B can be good!

Angie Tribeca 1x05 Commissioner Bigfish

Wow, were did they find Amy Smart from to be in this?  The screaming cop returned, that was random.  No Alfred Molina this week :(  David Koechner - I dunno about this guy.  He's completely hit or miss for me - seems like he usually gets hired to play the same role, and I don't really like that role, and this episode was no exception  - it was his same old tired schtick.  .  He's good on Another Period and The Office, though.  I liked the random twin brother of the chief and Angie's song!

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

Just started season 3 of The Sopranos.  Definitely liking it so far, quality TV.  Some of the writing/plotting is spotty, but the characters are really interesting.

It's a distant memory now, but I believe season 3 is the weakest by far (still solid). Don't worry, the sublime is still to come, it's a long show. 

I recall seasons 4-6 beaker weaker than the brilliant seasons 1-3.

But its been a long time (I watched it live as their aired from season 4 onward)

49 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Does it still pass muster today? Or was it just good compared to all the other stuff that was on TV at the time?

The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are the finest television I've seen. I might watch it again someday. 

Thinking about it, The Sopranos was my entry point into what is now the modern American television phenomenon. It was probably the point at which the English started using the term 'season' instead of 'series'. 

The Sopranos along with The Shield were definitely the start of the modern golden age of TV, as well as the age of anti-hero led TV.

Oz (1997), The Sopranos (1999), Six Feet Under (2001), and The Shield (2002) really kickstarted the current era of cable being where all the best writers went to and when the Emmys really started awarding cable shows for major acting awards

It's been almost 10 years since a network show (24) won an Emmy for best drama.  It's been 5 years since a network show was even nominated.  You'll probably never see another show like Law & Order/CSI/NCIS/Etc ever be nominated again.

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ofcourse we will. Every age ends.

There is zero chance that a procedural show tailor made for a broad lowest-common-denominator audience will beat out serious adult character drama from here on out.

Didn't see The Shield, couldn't stand Oz, but I did dig Deadwood. That was for me (personally) the beginning of The Golden Age of TV. That doesn't mean every new show since then is gold. After Deadwood I wanted to see more of that type of quality shows. And so I discovered Carnivale, The Wire, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, ... I couldn't believe that it just kept on coming. I'm really glad that TV has turned into what it is today because it's giving me what film no longer can (most of the time).

Alex

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I've never heard The Shield considered amongst those.

I seem to recall my goto TV guy friend watched it (he's abandoned film altogether) and said it was very good. That's always good enough for me, and usually means I'll at least look into a recommendation. 

It probably went on about a season or 2 longer than it should have,  but through the Glenn Close and Forest Whittaker seasons it was really solid.  I still remember that crazy money train heist

That's the thing, looking for TV show 'perfection' is a fool's game anyway. Every great show I can think of has at least minor flaws, or indeed weak(er) seasons. If we avoided TV productions based on their lesser parts the so-called golden age wouldn't even exist. 

Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are all over the place (the latter much less so these days), but I still watch them avidly each year. Because overall they are worth the investment. 

22 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are all over the place (the latter much less so these days), but I still watch them avidly each year. Because overall they are worth the investment. 

I certainly don't consider either of those "golden age" TV shows, but like many shows, you can certainly enjoy them without them holding up to serious criticism or being hailed as classic TV.  There's tons of shit from the 80s and 90s that I liked or loved that aren't "great" shows, not everything needs to be a masterpiece.

Star Trek: Voyager season 6

Fuck the Fair Haven episodes. I don't know what they were thinking. I guess back in that era, this stereotypical Irish bullshit was trendy, but it's still disturbing to see that crap creep its way into the Trek. The ship is in danger, but wait, lets not reroute power from the holodeck because we might lose the Irish bar! Some of the worst episodes ever. I'd still rather watch them than most anything else non-Trek, but still. Tom Paris yells a lot this season. Can we acknowledge that The Rock's acting career outside of wrestling began here. Thank God for Seven of Nine.

7 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I certainly don't consider either of those "golden age" TV shows, but like many shows, you can certainly enjoy them without them holding up to serious criticism or being hailed as classic TV.  There's tons of shit from the 80s and 90s that I liked or loved that aren't "great" shows, not everything needs to be a masterpiece.

While perhaps not the crown jewel, Game Of Thrones is definitely Golden Age TV. 

For a show that is nearly 50 hours long in total, it's impossible to be perfect from start to finish.  When you look at it, it's exactly what it needs to be, even though there may be some inconsequential blemishes if you hold it under a microscope.

41 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

For a show that is nearly 50 hours long in total, it's impossible to be perfect from start to finish.  When you look at it, it's exactly what it needs to be, even though there may be some inconsequential blemishes if you hold it under a microscope.

Of course not, but Golden Age TV has nothing to do with "perfect". It has more to do with mentality, approach, philosophy, ...

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

While perhaps not the crown jewel, Game Of Thrones is definitely Golden Age TV. 

Agreed.  Consider that Game of Thrones almost certainly could not have been produced before the golden age.  Not at that scope and budget.

For me Game of Thrones is all over the place and sometimes it's a complete mess, almost unwatchably so at one point. But when it's good it's fantastic, and there's nothing else like it in TVland. 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

For me Game of Thrones is all over the place and sometimes it's a complete mess, almost unwatchably so at one point. But when it's good it's fantastic, and there's nothing else like it in TVland. 

It needs to be fantastic more of the time though.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It needs to be fantastic more of the time though.

According to you and other Buffy The Vampire Slayer fans maybe, but others find it fantastic enough. 

P.S. I haven't seen the latest season