What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

9 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Apparently Narcos is good, but I'd probably feel like I was going through the motions. 

Indeed. This is largely the reason I've been hesitant about checking out shows like Narcos or The Night Of, despite repeated recommendations.

Will probably check them out eventually though, when I'm more desperate for new television.

After actually taking the time would you believe it to skim through this recommendation the other day I decided to suck it up and go with it tonight and offer to watch this:

ZkLpw1F.jpg

with my gf (largely for the brownie points).

I am anti romcom. And bear in mind this thing has songs. Nevertheless I sat through 3 episodes. 

I heard that one was good.  Or maybe I'm thinking of Jane the Virgin.  Or are both supposed to be good?

Finished my Gilmore Girls rewatch a few days ago. Still great. The first few seasons must be some of the wittiest stuff ever put on TV, and the rest still holds up, too. Even the last season, when the creator and original show runner had left, seemed was fine this time around. Lauren Graham is outstanding both for the comedy stuff and the occasional heartbreak. Can't wait for the revival.

Since then, I've seen Stranger Things. Really enjoyable, very well acted and admirably sincere in its 80s-ness. Except, to some degree, for the music. On its own, the synth score is nice and authentic enough, but given the series' closeness to films like E.T., CE3K and Poltergeist in particular, it's the one element that seems off, and not half as effective as I imagine an all out 80s style lush orchestral score would have been. Bonus points for mentioning Sagan's Cosmos in one episode.

I didn't think Winona Ryder was bad in the first episodes, by the way. I've encountered people like that. They make me uneasy and nervous, and so did her performance, but that doesn't make it bad. It annoyed me, but in doing that it seemed genuine to me.

We'll see if the story is strong enough to carry another season - the cast and crew certainly are.

Next up: Another go at Black Sails. I watched the first few episodes when it first aired and then lost track.

Well, The Night Of finale was last night.  Being able to see the entire arc of the series looking back I'd say my opinion has improved somewhat, but it's still a miniseries that started out amazingly strong and lost steam by the end.

That said, it had very clear points it wanted to make about the American criminal justice system and I think it made them reasonably well.

Spoiler

It's a pretty bleak ending, unsurprisingly.  You get the distinct feeling it won't be too much longer before Naz is back in jail, having been in prison for a year or whatever it was supposed to be, he is firmly an ex-con having never been a "con" in the first place.

It's also no surprise that Stone's eczema is back and worse than ever given its place as a symbol of the rotting judicial system and his place back at what he does, churning out plea bargains for minor felonies.

Basically, I don't think it was a waste of time and I'm glad I watched to the end.  It just wasn't the home run I expected it to be back in July.  I've also seen some complaints calling the ending "unsatisfying."  I don't get this.  There's no way for this show to have a satisfying ending that wouldn't undermine the themes at the heart of the show.  I didn't go into this expecting satisfaction.

EDIT:
I was just reading a good review of the finale and came across a sentence I think sums up the show pretty well without spoilers:

This, ultimately, seems to be the message of The Night Of: The criminal justice system will whirl you around and leave you right back where you were — but churned up inside and ready to throw up. You’re the same, but different, and the "different" is usually bad.

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/29/12688534/the-night-of-finale-recap-the-call-of-the-wild-verdict

I watch an episode (or two) of Star Trek: The Next Generation every week. One thing is certain right off the bat --- this is better than the movies. The first four episode feel very much like TOS but slightly updated.

Karol

20 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The first season of TNG is horrid and worse than the worst bits of all the movies combined.

Most are crap but a few good ones stand out. Encounter at Farpoint is great just for all the Q moments and character baselines. Where No One Has Gone Before, The Last Outpost, Hide and Q, The Big Goodbye, Datalore, 11001001, Heart of Glory, and The Neutral Zone are all good. All the others range from mediocre to unwatchable. 

Watched 2 first episodes of Stranger Things today. Loved it, especially the kids and that 80's nostalgia. Not sure the direction it took in the end, will watch more tonight... Who the hell are those brothers directed this?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Star Trek TNG should be on Netflix soon all over Europe 

Noticed this morning we have TOS already 

We have TOS, TNG, Voyager, Enterprise, DS9. The Animated Series, Insurrection, First Contact, Generations and Into Darkness.

And yeah, I'm watching the first season.

Karol

1 hour ago, Lonnegan said:

Is Black Sales an opulent production? I've thought about giving it a go before. 

Black sales are very opulent. Day after Thanksgiving is how most stores make their profit. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Apparently all the Star Trek series will be on Netflix pretty much world wide this year

And I think they'll move to CBS streaming by year's end in the US. Bollocks. 

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, The Night Of finale was last night. I've also seen some complaints calling the ending "unsatisfying."  I don't get this.  There's no way for this show to have a satisfying ending that wouldn't undermine the themes at the heart of the show.  I didn't go into this expecting satisfaction.

I liked the ending. Almost noir and Turturro and the retired police guy i could watch for ages. The only thing that pissed me off was that they gave him his heinous skin disease back. Gratitious punishment for nothing.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Apparently all the Star Trek series will be on Netflix pretty much world wide this year

The whole world will be forced to watch Star Trek. Think of how many new followers it will generate. The Church Of Nolan is nothing compared to this ... 

After Marian insisted for years that I should watch BSG, I recently got the blu set and started watching it. So far (middle of season 1) it's enjoyable and interesting, with an intriguing premise, but still has to really grab me (I know, many series take some time to really hit their stride, many favorites of mine included). Also it's still a bit difficult to really get invested in something new, after bingeing Outlander the week before left me an emotional wreck for days (McCreary had a part in that, so I'm confident BSG is not that bad of a follow-up ;)).

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

A very different style of storytelling. I know Nolan basically ripped off a TNG episode when he did Interstellar, but that hardly makes him suitable.

Perhaps Nolan doesn't understand Trekkie values?