What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

50 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

In honour of Star Trek's birthday I watched The Way Of The Warrior. the season 4 opener of Deep Space Nine, which functions more or less as a second pilot for the show.

Really an excellent script/story based on the universal idea of paranoia, and how it makes people and especially governments behave.

Sisko is finally bald, there are the usual excellent character scenes and Worf makes a fine addition to this motley crew of misfits.

That was the first episode we watched in our new place back in June when we resumed our binge watching. We finished the last eight episodes of the final season Friday night into wee Saturday. Sad it's over but happy to have seen it complete. Last time I watched DS9 it was divx downloads in 2002 so I missed a few key episodes so I didn't understand how Starfleet created the changeling virus in the first place, for example. 

The only thing we neglected to watch was Insurrection in its proper place in the seventh season episode chronology when Worf steps out for two episodes. It's not on Netflix and my DVD is five hours away. It adds nothing major to the DS9 storyline beyond a name drop of the So'Na and conversation about ketracel white facility between Weyoun and Damar. It's watchable if weak. 

Next is Voyager, I guess. I can just play computer and pay less attention. There were a few episodes I missed years back. 

HOC S2E1.

So Soe Barnes finally died. The effect was somehow muted because someone had already told me about that four fonths ago, but still a neat murder.

I just LOVED Frank's final note to the viewer. He has my sympahty again!

Well what can I say, I've watched 7 episodes of Man in the High Castle in a week now and seeing it grow and move with the assured canter it is finding for itself in these later installments has been a bit of a revelation for my evening TV sofa habits with the missus. Along with Better Call Saul season 2, this marvelous Philip K. Dick adaptation is absolutely the most enjoyable and purely entertaining TV I've seen this year. The unfolding mystery in this thing is a beast, I'm dying to get to the last episode. 

I hadn't even heard about about the thing till last week, so somehow I've missed the critical reaction. After a very quick google I went in pretty much blind. 

I'm sure you're okay with mainstream stuff aren't you? It's not one of these cleverclogs type shows if you know what I mean, it isn't anything like Lindelof TV. It's better than that. High Castle is a Hollywood serial in every sense. It reminds me of Indiana Jones, broadly speaking, but it's not something for the children either. Remember the old spy movies? It's like that. It's WWII pulp on a very capable budget. 

Man in the High Castle is an old fashioned thriller refreshingly lacking in trendy pretensions. It has rather two dimensional characterisation, a no nonsense style and even little plot holes which I've come to expect from the genre (the minor sort which irk the anal retentives something rotten but don't bother me in the slightest). These are its greatest strengths, because for me this show has been all about the grand operatic mystery which drives the overarching story, that is what I have gotten hooked on (much more than it social commentary smarts). In that way I've found it to be the perfect adventurous antidote to other "sophisticated" TV which is currently all the rage, and which I've seen a lot of. 

Finished The Man in the High Castle and from start to finish, 10 episodes, I absolutely loved it. The finale was as good as I was hoping it might be, the closing shot in particular being somehow marvellously satisfying and deliciously puzzling at once and in a way which utterly captivated me... it made me thirst for moar - yet they could comfortably leave it at that and it'd be perfect. "Castle", as I've seen it referred to online, is an epic new benchmark for streaming only mainstream targeted TV and Amazon mean business judging by the quality of production, casting (for the most part it is ideal) and assured cinematic sweep seen so far here. This is my new priority watch now, above everything else I'm keeping up with. Luckily for me I only need wait till December for the season 2 to begin. Populist drug overlords, charismatic cannibals and tv detectives, your time is up: 2016 has been the year of great new original television sci-fi. 

SbaRGYq.jpg

Started The Man In The High Castle on the (repeated) recommendation of Quintus.

Two eps in, so far it's good. Great premise of a USA that lost the war and got divided in 3 parts. There's an air of disturbing mystery slowly developing around a reel of film that's seems to be the centrepiece of everything. Yes only a few glimpses are shown, and it's exact meaning is as yet unclear.

Good looking show too.With a nice mash up of American/Nazi German and Japanese iconography. The US flag with the Swastika replacing the stars especially is a thing of beauty.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Started The Man In The High Castle

On TV? Netflix? Blu-ray? How?

Funny, I reported about this series several times but no one cared. And now it's the best thing ever? Sigh!

On 1/20/2015 at 3:10 AM, Alexcremers said:

And now for something completely different ...

Untitled-578x300_zpsef54c3e6.jpg

wwjxv2h0azrsnnh5pfp71-578x300_zps28512fd

The Man In The High Castle is getting very positive reviews! Color me intrigued!

On 11/24/2015 at 3:16 AM, KK said:

Anyone tried the new The Man in the High Castle series yet? Been hearing good things about it.

On 11/24/2015 at 3:29 AM, Alexcremers said:

BTW, I'm also very, very interested in The Man In The High Castle. I definitely looks promising but how is the writing?

Alex

On 12/19/2015 at 2:55 AM, Alexcremers said:

The Man In A High Castle gets a second season.

On 12/19/2015 at 3:27 AM, Stefancos said:

Is it good?

On 12/19/2015 at 3:30 AM, Alexcremers said:

Apparently it's currently one of the best TV shows.

On 12/19/2015 at 11:16 AM, Taikomochi said:

The Man in the High Castle is not very good. I watched the whole thing. It is exceedingly boring.

On 12/19/2015 at 7:28 PM, KK said:

I watched the pilot. I was really looking forward to it, but wasn't too impressed. I'll stick through it and see how it goes.

And that's the extent of conversation about the show on JWFan until Quint brought it up again.

24 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Funny that it ran out of gas back then as both people who actually watched last year didn't care for it, and yet everyone watching it now is having the opposite reaction.

I guess everything is good after Stranger Things.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Alex didnt care for it?

Hurray!

I never saw it, you buffoon! I just reported about it. I was there at the very beginning!

It's been clear from the beginning of the show that Frank is bi, and that Meechum is in love with him.  What's the big deal?

Binged through both series of Broadchurch (or as Tennant says, "Brawdchech") over the past week. Compelling stuff and an excellent cast. Can't wait for the final series.

Meanwhile it seems I'm about to give Outlander another try, after picking up both soundtrack CDs for cheap.

Finished Narcos S2. Still very entertaining with Paulina Gaitan as Tata Escobar probably giving the most believable performance of the show. She's pretty as well so she's probably going places.

pabloandwife.jpeg

Wait! There's going to be a Season 3? Without Pablo?! Get the frack out of here! He was the show!

Alex - now watching the Showtime's highly acclaimed The Affair 

491074817_640.jpg

On 23/09/2016 at 6:57 PM, Jay said:

It's been clear from the beginning of the show that Frank is bi, and that Meechum is in love with him.  What's the big deal?

The big deal is that he's the fucking P of the U S of A, and its all gonna come round and take several large bites out of his ass!

Anyone else here seen Silicon Valley?

So, this is what Mike Judge has been up to all these years since Beavis and Butt-head - creating the recent benchmark for razor-sharp wit on television. It's X-rated Big Bang Theory, and so much more. There simply isn't a single weak moment or bad line to be had, the scenarios we find the ace ensemble of characters in being completely realistic yet ridiculous at the same time, it has that cool trendy farce vibe down to a tee, but you don't ever feel like a hipster c*nt for getting all the jokes (the fact is anyone with a smartphone will feel pretty much right at home). 

Another watch on a whim after vaguely recalling someone on the radio last week saying how good it was (possibly Steve Wright), we blitzed through the eight episode run of the first season in a few days and was relieved to find out there's still another two to watch. YES! 

Absolutely brilliant, and very funny. 

APW0kM2.jpg

We've been watching since it premiered - it's great, but be warned that each new season is not as good as the previous.  Also FYI, the actor playing Peter Gregory died in real life midway through filming season 1, and they had to write him out of the show, and the show suffered for it - not that you can blame anyone for that, of course.  The new character they introduced in season 2 to replace him is funny in her own right, though.  

Overall, it's a pretty consistently funny show.  The Season 1 finale remains the highlight of the series to date, I assumed you liked that one a lot too.

Here are my other thoughts and some links if you're interested in reading

On 10/1/2014 at 1:08 PM, Jay said:

silicon-valley-cast.jpg

Silicon Valley Season 1

This is a very funny show! Created by Mike Judge, it is about five friends who start a startup company in Silicon Valley, and a race to market it when one of their former employers begin reverse engineering it. The cast is all great, especially Kumail Nanjiani and TJ Miller, who steal a lot of scenes. Biggest bummer about the show is that one of the actors (an investor in their startup) died in real life after filming 5 of the 8 episodes, so they had to kind of quickly write around that and Season 2 won't be the same without him, he was a breakout character. Looking forward to the new season regardless!

On 4/8/2015 at 11:51 AM, Jay said:

This is great

An Oral History Of That Ultra-Sophisticated ‘Silicon Valley’ Dick Joke

Can't wait for the new season to start on Sunday!

On 4/14/2015 at 1:59 PM, Jay said:
Silicon valley 2x01 Sand Hill Shuffle

Very very funny episode! I laughed out loud several times, probably more times than any comedy we've watched recently. It's very sad they had to write in the death of Peter Gregory since the actor playing him died, but it looks like its leading to some interesting storylines. And the way he death was told by Monica to Richard and Bachman was just hilarious! The new character that's now leading Gregory's company is interesting. She was fairly one-note in this episode but hopefully won't always be. Loved Gilfoyle and Dinesh's battle over the CTO title, and Bachman's taking over the negging to get higher proposals at the meetings. The funeral at the end was also pretty funny, and of course the expect last second cliffhanger was interesting too.

So glad the show is back! And already renewed for season 3!

On 6/6/2015 at 10:44 AM, Jay said:

Silicon Valley is great! The final ep of the first season needed that extended dick joke to really bring everything together and deliver a big extended comedy bit instead of the series of small ones they'd been doing to that point.

Season 2 is just as good as the first, its a really terrific show with a great cast. Only bummer is the real-life death of one of the funniest actors on the show.

On 6/17/2015 at 3:42 PM, Jay said:

Silicon Valley Season 2

Meant to write about each episode as I did last year but got lazy. Overall, a terrific followup season to the terrific first season. It's missing a moment on the level of that magic dick joke from the first season, but I suppose this season didn't really need it. I love all the characters and watching their ups and downs every week is always satisfying. It's still sad that Christopher Evan Welch passed away and they had to write his character off because he was so unique and different. But the new character of Laurie that replaced him was pretty unique and funny too. I'm a bit sad the Richard / Monica relationship wasn't really pursued this year, and loved the new character Carla and wish she was used more.

Already looking forward to season 3!

Looks like I never got around to writing anything about Season 3.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You seem to have an issue with Lee, Jason. What did he do?

He certainly didn't claim to have discovered this for JWfan. His first sentence actually states as much.

I seem to have missed something here? 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

We've been watching since it premiered - it's great, but be warned that each new season is not as good as the previous.  Also FYI, the actor playing Peter Gregory died in real life midway through filming season 1, and they had to write him out of the show, and the show suffered for it - not that you can blame anyone for that, of course.

I didn't know this, it is pretty sad and indeed a pity, because his strange presence was pretty hilarious. However, I'd also suggest he wasn't vital to the make-up of the show, he isn't in the main group of friends. So I can easily see how it can work without him. 

Yea, they do get on by without him, but his presence is missed.  He really was a pretty unique character, for sure!

My favorite moments are probably the times Gilfoyle and Dinesh go at it with each other, really funny stuff.  I started hearing Kumail Nanjiani pop up on podcasts after we started watching the show, and he's a really funny dude!  Just saw him the other night in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, and he was easily one of the best parts of the movie.

I also really like Monica and the budding relationship between her and Richard, shame it moves at a freaking snail's pace