What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

On 09/10/2016 at 4:59 PM, Stefancos said:

Another element in it's favour is it's dogged refusal to grow up and become more sensible. The show was never much for political correctness and has in some circles been blamed for the rise of UKIP. (the appeal of Farage being very similar to that of Jeremy Clarkson). And while there may be some point to that. It was part of what made the show fun to watch. That slightly subversive edge (as subversive as BBC guidelines allowed anyway). There's nothing more boring then TV that's trying to be all-embracing and trying to please everyone.

Exactly right ... that air of them bumping up against (or crashing into and destroying?) what the BBC considered 'acceptable' was a large part of the appeal. But on Amazon Prime (a viewing platform that threw money at them to sign up and that subscribers specifically choose to pay to watch), that element's lost ... not much 'thumbing your nose at authority' there.   

House of Cards S2E11. I'm seriously thinking about not watching any more. I don't know if the series is intentionally doing this, but I find myself actively disliking Frank and Claire. First he wants Jackie because of her pragmatism, then she's being pragmatic and he suddenly hates her. And Clair is really a hateful bitch: first she loves Adam, then she'll bury him. Is this just bad character writing or something else? I also hope there's more to that threesome of sorts between them and Meechum... And then Doug's creepy Rachel obsession, urgh... I'm preparing myself for a cruel Tusk exit, but I want him to remain in the game because he's just a cool guy. I don't want Frank to become what I know he will become. How he dealt with Freddy was disgusting too.

Well, that was season 2.

I'm so glad Doug got what he sort of deserved. I realise he's a troubled character, but his sick visits to Rachel needed to end.

And Frank... Well, I'll settle for the love-hate relationship I have with him: he's ruthless and at times unbearable, but you have to respect him in some way as well.

The president wasn't a convincing character. I thought he was incredibly stupid not to suspect Frank, and then when he finally does, it all goes too fast. The ending isn't convincing either: first he doesn't like him, and then suddenly he appears to forgive him while it doesn't take a genius to realise what he's really up to, but in the end, he was largely responsible for his predicament.

And poor Raymond... I hope I'll see more of him in season 3. I didn't expect him to just surrender like that, but then again, his pride would have prevented him from going to Frank's side, I suppose... Really liked him.

CqMCH8jXYAAQXeH.jpg (1200×800)

Black Mirror 3x01 Nosedive

Aw yea - Black Mirror is back, baby!  This episode was as terrific as expected based how consistent the show's been so far.  Bryce Dallas Howard was TERRIFIC here (I hope she gets an Emmy nomination) as a women in a society where your social network ranking determines everything you can get in life.  I never really want to discuss the plots of these because its because its the kind of show where its best to go into each episode knowing nothing and letting it unfold naturally.  Alice Eve from Star Trek Into Darkness has a good role too as her childhood friend.

I also really enjoyed the music and production values of the show as always (nice setting where all cars are electric, and seemingly all roads have been moved to be above everyone's houses).  Each of the three acts here was better than the last, I loved the awkwardness racheting up as the nosedive unfurled.  If you can criticize anything about this episode is that it's a bit predictable perhaps, but that didn't really matter to me, as

Lacie totally blowing the speech and losing all her points is certainly more entertaining then her redeeming herself and coming out ahead.  In fact, the whole point here is that the 4.5+s are all probably suicidal inside and Lacie will be happier being a 1.shit with her new cellmate)

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 7.56.48 PM.png (759×401)

This one was directed by Joe Wright (Pride & Prejudice, Atonement, Hanna, Anna Karenina, Pan) and written by Rashida Jones & Michael Schur (The Office).  Great stuff all around!

The return of the The Walking Dead this week probably saw the most sustained violence scenes in all of tv history, it was incredibly brutal - and zombies weren't even responsible. 

The first victim I was sorry to see go, but the second surprise victim had been a long time overdue and I won't miss the person. 

This new Negan chief villain is already getting on my nerves though, it's really getting stupid now. 

ZZ146564BA.jpg (1200×746)

Black Mirror 3x02 Playtest

THAT WAS AWESOME!  Such a well directed, nicely paced episode with some pretty creepy elements.  Much like the season premiere, the entire episode is anchored around a single main performance, this time by a guy I never heard of (turns out he's Kurt Russell's son), who was great. I quite enjoyed all the supporting role as well, excellent casting all around.  Hard to talk about this one without spoiling it, so I'll just say to those that have seen it

I'm not entirely sold on the final twist, I suppose.... in a way, the twist that a phone call ruined his brain is fine, but I kinda wish there was a way to do that without involving a twist within a twist.  As it stands now, I suppose the entire premise about going into an old house with an earpiece is something his brain came up with and not real, and I think that'd be better to be what really happened.  I dunno.  In this episode,  the ride was more important than the end result, I think

Black-Mirror-Playtest-2.jpg (750×423)

I didn't know until it was over that it was directed by the 10 Cloverfield Lane guy, and the original score was by Bear McCreary.  I actually noticed the score a few times, the piano parts, some nice stuff.

Loving the new season so far!

Let's see...

After Broadchurch, I stuck to Scottish stuff and watched the first season of Outlander. Quite engaging once it gets going, with an excellent lead performance by Caitriona Balfe and fine music by McCreary (who sometimes sounds nearly like Horner here). Waiting for the second season to arrive on Netflix now.

Next, because Netflix advertised it to me showing Anna Friel, I watched Marcella. Also quite intriguing, although it gets a bit too cliffhanger-y at the end of the season.

Then, Ascension, which I had on my watch list for a while. I like the concept. Some performances were on the odd/wooden side, and for something a mini series that ended up not getting continued, it brings up too many twists at the end. Watchable enough for its short length, but not a must see.

After that, Jessica Jones. I mostly try to stay away from the Marvel stuff, because there's just too much of it and from my limited experience with the films (I've never read any of the comics), most of it doesn't really convince me. But David Tennant's participation and good reviews had me interested in this, and as it turned out it's really, really good. Very good lead performance by Krysten Ritter, and Tennant is great fun in what he plays more or less as a super villain version of his Doctor. Enjoyable score by Sean Callery, too. I started it late last week and finished it yesterday by binging the last 6 episodes.

Now I've started Black Mirror, which I hadn't heard of before until very recently everyone on the net seems to strongly recommend it. The first episode certainly was impressively grotesque.

In other word,s Netflix is the death of my productivity.

I generally enjoy all of those series. But they have one thing in common --- they're all too long. Those stories should take 8 eps max and still not lose any essential info or characterisation. And as they stand, everything is too repetitive.

Karol

Crisis In Six Scenes

Finally got around to watching this one. I really loved how it felt almost like a vignette despite being 3 hours long. Very briskly paced and doesn't move around too much in terms of plot and setting. Allen grounds the story almost entirely in one location, so it gives off a nice theatrical vibe. It's meta in Allen's traditional sense. He plays an advertising writer that has failed to make it as a great author and is currently struggling to pitch a TV series. Miley Cyrus plays a radicalized political activist on the run from the FBI that ends up using his home as a safe house. Great performances all around, with my favorite coming from Elaine May, who apparently hasn't acted in anything in 16 years! Inconsequential among the grand scheme of things, but quite enjoyable if you're a fan. The climax in Episode 6 is fantastic, with all the characters and stories coming together in a really funny way.

Been watching the new season of Black Mirror lately. It's still in brilliant form, with the flash of Netflix's cinematic production values. Will write more about each episode later, but loving it so far.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

http://paulsemel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Morobito-Guardian-Of-The-Spirit-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray-And-DVD-main.jpg

Slow burn show that starts out of the gate but then settles in for a long stretch until its energy intensifies toward the conclusion and wraps up nicely.  I felt more appreciation for the middle section after it was all over.

Sword Art Online

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/D05HGuuPVp0/maxresdefault.jpg

First season, which is split into two distinct parts, tells the story of a not-too-distant future world where people can dive into a full-sensory virtual reality experience and play inside massive and expansive online multiplayer worlds.  The first part (14 episodes) is extremely solid, and I liked the somewhat-vignette style of the episodes.  Each one had the main character(s) meet new people and going on different adventures despite the constant of a singular moving plot.  The second part is also good, but there isn't as much at stake, and there is a weird incest story line that felt misplaced and unnecessary.  The shorter episode count (11) worked in its favor.

I couldn't get past the fourth episode of SAO. The first episode showed a lot of promise, but it just kept falling and falling as it went by.

Classicaloid, on the other hand, keeps getting better and better...

Finished Black Mirror. How come I never even knew about this until very recently? Some of it is just good, some of it is very good, and quite a bit is rather outstanding. Great writing, great casts, top notch direction and production values. And quite a few episodes would do very well as standalone films. Mandatory viewing.

I guess I'm free now to start Westworld.

black-mirror-dance-bonding.jpg (740×338)

Black Mirror 3x03 Shut Up And Dance

Well, that was dark!  Damn, another fine episode though that sticks with you.  I love the misdirection of the opening - A women, clearly scared, in a garage, parks a car and hides the keys... turns out she's not even the main character, but this scene takes on a whole new spin once the context is all revealed!  Our main character is actually a teenage boy, Kenny, who gets a walware on his laptop that records him masterbating through the webcam one day.  When he gets a text on his phone indicating the video will be shared with all his friends and family if he doesn't comply with their demands, a terrific tense nailbiter unfolds.  Soon he learns he is one of many being black mailed and each of the other victims give fine and varied performances, especially Jerome Flynn from Game of Thrones.

The one thing that bugged me while this was going on was that it seemed like at some point possibly around the bank robbery if not before, that Kenny would just stop following their demands and let the video be leaked - its just masterbating after all, something everyone does.  Of course I should have had faith in Booker, of course there was another twist coming.  The fact that Kenny was actually a pedophile is a gutpunch and completely explains everything.  The fact that the blackmailers leak everything despite everyone complying is a perfect Black Mirror dark ending.  I already want to  watch it again to see what clues I may have missed - for example, Kenny giving the doll back to the girl and admiring the child's drawings take on a whole new meaning now!"

2016-10-25-black-mirror03.jpg (950×535)

In the end, this episode does somewhat retread the same themes that White Bear explored (another episode about someone's punishment far exceeding their crime), and even White Christmas too.  Still, its done in a completely different way so is completely worthwhile.  This season's on fire!![/quote]

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, that was dark!  Damn, another fine episode though that sticks with you.  I love the misdirection of the opening - A women, clearly scared, in a garage, parks a car and hides the keys... turns out she's not even the main character, but this scene takes on a whole new spin once the context is all revealed! 

Perhaps I missed something: What's the new spin?

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sorry, bad wording. I meant to say it gets explained later / connected to the main plot 

I see. It's just that there was some comment on IMDb that also seemed to imply that a big picture was revealed by a final twist, but I found the plot on the whole pretty straightforward, with smaller twists (like the p... thing) helping it a long the way, of course.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

black-mirror-dance-bonding.jpg (740×338)

Black Mirror 3x03 Shut Up And Dance

Well, that was dark!  Damn, another fine episode though that sticks with you.  I love the misdirection of the opening - A women, clearly scared, in a garage, parks a car and hides the keys... turns out she's not even the main character, but this scene takes on a whole new spin once the context is all revealed!  Our main character is actually a teenage boy, Kenny, who gets a walware on his laptop that records him masterbating through the webcam one day.  When he gets a text on his phone indicating the video will be shared with all his friends and family if he doesn't comply with their demands, a terrific tense nailbiter unfolds.  Soon he learns he is one of many being black mailed and each of the other victims give fine and varied performances, especially Jerome Flynn from Game of Thrones.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, that was a really good one. Dark stuff that ruminates with you well after the episode has ended.

Sword Art Online II

http://ib1.huluim.com/show_key_art/18871?size=1600x600&region=US

In many ways, this show will never match the intensity of the first arc, but without holding that against it, this is a solid sequel and continuing of the story.

Death Note

http://www.geekgirlauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Death-Note-1.jpg

I've wanted to watch this for a while now and meant to start it a couple of months ago but it vanished from Netflix suddenly, then it reappeared in my instant queue a few days ago, presumably the result of the license was being reworked.

Regardless, I'm a handful of episodes in, and although I feel it's moving a bit too fast story-wise (not sure how they managed 37 episodes of this concept at this rate), it's very intriguing and well designed/animated.