What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

The trouble is, my little boy is utterly enamoured with everything Marvel and DC, he's obsessed. And I do take a lot of enjoyment out of seeing his face light up at the sight of those characters, even if I've outgrown them. I'll probably still see the better movies at the theatre, with him. 

6 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I was vaguely aware of this "superhero" show Legion, but hadn't paid any attention to it until a few days ago when I realised that it's a Noah Hawley creation. On the basis of how great Fargo is (especially the second season), I thought anything else that he's behind should be worth a shot. I've watched the first two episodes of Legion so far and thought they're excellent, with some real brilliance; I can't wait to see more.

It is something isn't it? It's so strange, and at times, I'm still not sure if I particularly like it. But I certainly admire it, and think it's definitely worth checking out for those who are on the fence. It's nothing like any of the Marvel/DC flicks at all.

Wait till you get to the fourth episode!

6 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

As to whether it's tiresome to have another show in the superhero / mutant genre, I wouldn't know because I haven't seen the other ones...

Likewise. I've stayed away from them all, but was curious about this because of Fargo's Noah Hawley, and a preview I saw looked interesting as well.

I've seen Doctor Who, yes. But not sure what you're talking about.

EDIT: Oh, after looking it up, I think you're talking about Jessica Jones. Nope. Never seen it, or any of the other Marvel shows. Steef and Jay have, I believe.

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Jessica Jones, that's the one! I believe I managed three episodes. I just cannot abide the formula (they all have that formula). 

Yea, this is why I've largely stayed away. As much merit as they might boast in production, cast or whatnot, they all eventually end up being variations of the same thing.

Legion, from what I've seen, seems to be a different kind of beast altogether, at least when it comes to psychedelic inner conflicts.

Legion - Chapter 5

Okay, I'm convinced. This psychedelic, drug-induced, occasionally campy and often confusing mayhem is well worth the ride. Aside from your most basic parameters (that your main characters have superpowers), it's anything but a "superhero" show. I think it took the first 2 episodes for it to find its groove, but this and the last episode (Chapter 4) seem to have hit the sweet spot for me. If you can get past the occasional shoddy acting and pacing issues, this show can be a real treat.

10 hours ago, KK said:

I've seen Doctor Who, yes. But not sure what you're talking about.

Funny that someone (Quintus, I believe) happens to mention Doctor Who during the Legion conversation because that's exactly what I think each time I see a Legion promo on TV. It's got that same cheap, plasticky look.

Alex

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm mostly keeping my distance from all this superhero stuff, because it doesn't particularly interest me and there's just so much of it. But I really liked Jessica Jones.

I was disappointed because I really wanted to like it, the central premise and the macguffin that was the mystery of the Tennant character was genuinely intriguing. But Jessica Jones herself I found really irritating. That's a barrier. There is an undercurrent of "sexiness" that a lot of these newer shows have about them too, and I always lose interest when you begin to be able to time the rhythms of the encounters. The air of predictability turns me off.  

All three of the Marvel Netflix shows (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage) are really nothing to write home about.  They all have a bunch of really cool moments, but they are so repetitive and cyclical; Ideas are repeated not only within each show, but across shows.  Similar origin stories, similar character arcs, similar villains, similar supporting characters.  And they go way overboard trying to show how "edgy" they are with extreme ultraviolence that is completely unnecessary.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 12

A pretty decent little season here.  I really enjoyed that there was a lot of episodes that didn't feature the bar at all (or only briefly) - in fact I think the first 5 in a row didn't.  The waitresses' yearly episode was one of the better ones too, and its nice that Mac finally came out after all these years - his dildo bike was pretty funny!  I don't think the show will ever reach the heights it did in its early seasons, but to be churning out stuff as funny as it does 12 years later is pretty impressive.  I'll be back next year!

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "Ties of Blood and Water"

It's a Kira episode! These seemed to be few and far between as DS9 chugged along. It's a good one. It starts out fairly light but turns very heavy with Kira caring for her faux Cardassian father as he reveals all of his secrets on his deathbed. All the while, there are flashbacks to the death of Kira's real father during the occupation. Dukat and Weyoun stop by the station for some very weird but memorable encounters with both the Major and Sisko.

7 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "Ties of Blood and Water"

It's a Kira episode! These seemed to be few and far between as DS9 chugged along. It's a good one. It starts out fairly light but turns very heavy with Kira caring for her faux Cardassian father as he reveals all of his secrets on his deathbed. All the while, there are flashbacks to the death of Kira's real father during the occupation. Dukat and Weyoun stop by the station for some very weird but memorable encounters with both the Major and Sisko.

I rather like that one!

It's been 3 whole episodes since the big season 2 reveal of Twin Peaks occurred, and the show is still strong, it's still on form. WTF is going on? I've misremembered??

The part where Coop was made a Bookhouse Boy...  :crymore:

Okay another episode, and the unravelling is now underway. Yet it's still more enjoyable than this year's Walking Dead. There's still good stuff in there, there's little gem moments that shine! Nadine and James need to be blasted from orbit though. The blonde love interest is seriously ropey, and I'm not even referring to her acting. 

Side note: Piper Laurie had the most striking vocal tones (plural) in her day. Her articulation and expressive poise was absolutely stunning, her speaking voice was really a thing of beauty (I realise she's still with us).   

20 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

That show is the Milli Vanilli of geek culture.

My theory is genuine geeks don't much like it because it is not an authentic depiction of geek life, they can't relate to the success and relationships the characters in the show enjoy. It is dishonest to them therefore it is rejected (geeks tend to take inaccuracies very seriously). Meanwhile, Big Bang is huge with mainstream audiences because it allows them to 'get their geek on' for 30 minutes in a way which feels comfortable. 

I forgot the idea to watch the entire series, so I watched these four episodes on Netflix (in french canadian genuine 60's dubbing). Entertaining. :)

That was confusing to see the (future) father of Spock as a Romulan!

91bYOk9F0PL._SL1500_.jpg

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So are you an authentic geek, Lee?

I certainly like some geeky things about our culture. But I think I dip my toe compared to the proactively geeky among us.