What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Past Tense part I & II

Season 3 two-parter of DS9 which was doomsday sci-fi two decades ago, and seems far less so these days.

Sisko, Bashir and Dax accidentally get transported to 2024 North America. 

The two colored men get shipped to a sanctuary district where America puts its unemployed, homeless and the mentally ill.

While white pretty wasp Dax gets to spend time with a Steve Jobs type.

Great Clinton-era 90's "important" TV sci-fi with loads of familiar faces, (Dick Miller, the dad from that Corky the Down-syndrome kid show) a strong Trek message in the Bell riots and it's fall out and some fun TOS references.

Currently at the second episode of Shaka Zulu on Netflix. Very impressive production for an 80's TV show, overall there is some really well done stuff on the show, particularly the material regarding Shaka himself. And it feels balanced in its portrayal of both sides of two very different cultures, so far it feels like it presents both the good and the bad of both sides.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if Netflix isnt doing it to protect their self-produced shows from basically getting a visibly bad rating on their own app and website. Perhaps after the backlash from that Iron Fist show.

Netflix has all the viewing data they need to determine whether a show is doing well.  They're just including the thumbs up/down feature to make people feel like they input in lieu of removing it altogether.

On 3/16/2017 at 7:39 PM, nightscape94 said:

Is this another show where she's basically playing herself?

I mentioned this over in the Fox/Marvel thread, but she's seriously great in this!  What I said in the other thread is that as much as I loved her on Parks and Rec, any film I saw her in afterwards she was kinda the same character.  However, in this show, she's finally different, and seriously great!  At least so far (I'm only 3 episodes in)

29 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Netflix has all the viewing data they need to determine whether a show is doing well.  They're just including the thumbs up/down feature to make people feel like they input in lieu of removing it altogether.

But it's far less specific, so limits the audiences influence. It's very corporate.

The interface on our Firebox changed a few months ago and we got used to it pretty  much right away

On 3/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, KK said:

It is something isn't it [Legion]? It's so strange, and at times, I'm still not sure if I particularly like it. But I certainly admire it, and think it's definitely worth checking out for those who are on the fence. It's nothing like any of the Marvel/DC flicks at all.

Wait till you get to the fourth episode!

Fourth episode was awesome, including what has to be the most epically chilling shot of a dog ("King") in any film or TV show ever. I'm now up to Episode 6, which I think is the most recent...

Another thing which must be said about this show: it's bloody scary!

I can get used to this, but I don't like it. The episode titles and descriptions have tiny text and it now does the Netflix thing of skipping ahead to the next episode during the end credits, cutting off the glorious Star Trek music. Fucking pieces of shit.

Star Trek: Voyager: "Life Line"

This is actually another one of the best Voyager episodes and Seven of Nine is hardly in it. It gets mad props. The Doctor's program is conveyed to Earth, where he hopes to save the life of his creator. This is the second Dr. Zimmerman episode. The first was actually a Deep Space Nine episode, wherein he was pretty much of a sleazebag. While most men would probably excuse his behavior since he was trying to pick up on a naked Leeta, this one redeems his character regardless. He's still a dick, but that's part of the charm. A holo babe, Mr. Barclay and even Deanna Troi show up. It's overall very weird and cute. Most Doctor episodes are good. This one is no exception.

Troi and Barclay are amongst the reasons I kinda stopped watching VOY at around season 6.

Wait, your premise is having a ship 70 years from home, and you bring in TNG characters as semi-regulars?

Also, did anyone at any point ever tune in to TNG just to see Deanna or Barclay? She was consistently the least interesting character throughout and he was such an awkward "parody" of the Star Trek writers of what they think their fans were it's actually now becoming offensive.

Generally, I only tend watch TV stuff just the once. 

That there's seemingly no 'Official Star Trek TV Shows Discussion Thread' after nearly twenty years of JWFan feels like a bit an oversight, a bit of a Trekkie faux pas. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Generally, I only tend watch TV stuff just the once. 

That there's seemingly no 'Official Star Trek TV Shows Discussion Thread' after nearly twenty years of JWFan feels like a bit an oversight, a bit of a Trekkie faux pas. 

When I spent fourteen months binge watching the 21 seasons of 90s Trek, I was not interested in using my laptop to take notes. I just wanted to watch and relax. And unfortunately, I'm burned out on Star Trek for awhile and won't be rewatching them en masse for a decade. Maybe it'd be fun with a son or daughter. 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Troi and Barclay are amongst the reasons I kinda stopped watching VOY at around season 6.

Wait, your premise is having a ship 70 years from home, and you bring in TNG characters as semi-regulars?

Also, did anyone at any point ever tune in to TNG just to see Deanna or Barclay? She was consistently the least interesting character throughout and he was such an awkward "parody" of the Star Trek writers of what they think their fans were it's actually now becoming offensive.

She was only briefly in two episodes of Voyager. Barclay wasn't in it that much either. Seems like pretty much of an overreaction on your part.

Troi was in three episodes of Voyager: Pathfinder, Life Line, and Inside Man. 

Barclay was in those plus three more:

"Projections" (As a Hologram) (Season 2)

"Author, Author" (terrible self-parody of the show) 

"Endgame"

I did not have a problem with using these TNG characters on Voyager. It allowed the writers to show their plans of ending Voyager's journey by showing Alpha Quadrant efforts to find them, that many thought they were still alive and could be reached after the Hirogen satellite network collapses. 

Barclay was frequently shown as being an underachiever or comic fool on Picard's Enterprise. How he didn't get drummed out of Starfleet is beyond me. So now he gets a chance to be a hero, which is nice. 

By Season 6 of Voyager, DS9 is over and the Dominion War is won. Miles is at Starfleet, Worf is with the Klingons, and Bashir isn't interested in such things. There's really nobody else to use from that show to feature as looking for Voyager. It's also not something that the Enterprise E crew would pursue if they were still flying with Picard. Data, Geordi, nope. How about the guy that worked with the Traveler? He was an idiot. Maddox? Same. Shelby? We wish.

So it's conceivable that Barclay leaves the Enterprise after the Borg temporal incursion and starts a different project. He's an established character with a popular, recognizable actor. Otherwise Voyager would waste more episodes establishing a new audience surrogate with Project Pathfinder.

The only other characters that would make sense to want to find Voyager would be Maquis survivors, but they're not equipped for deep space searches, and they were exterminated by the Dominion. 

Seriously, the moment that Barclay prevails and Admiral Paris first speaks to Janeway is one of the happiest moments in all of Star Trek history. 

Is it possible that Starfleet had similar Project Pathfinders for the Equinox? We never see. 

Troi's appearances in Voyager are useful to show that even though Barclay has a new quest and purpose, he still has the same fallacies as the old bumbling Reg we saw on The Big D. It also permits the writers to correct the mistakes of the last two years of TNG, when they cast Riker aside and had Worf pursue Troi. This relationship seems useful only to set up a conflict in Q's alternate future, because it is discarded in Generations and never mentioned again when Worf moves to DS9. Otherwise it goes nowhere and slaps the Imzadi story in the face. Voyager fixes this by reconnecting Troi with an offscreen Riker, after Insurrection establishes that they never kissed when he had a mustache, and then they wed in Alaska. 

It's Enterprise that truly sins by setting its finale inside the Pegasus episode with Riker everywhere. 

About two-thirds into Iron Fist. My god, it is dull.

But I'm going to finish it. Cause I have to.

The best thing about it is the appearance of Rosario Dawson, Colleen Wing and the creepy Faramir himself David Wenham.

Karol

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Has Netflix jumped the shark? Is the Golden Age over?

Problem with all those series, without exception, is that they're all too long.

At least The Defenders will be only 8 episodes. And it has pretty much every single characters from all the others. AND Sigourney Weaver.

Karol

56 minutes ago, crocodile said:

About two-thirds into Iron Fist. My god, it is dull.

But I'm going to finish it. Cause I have to.

Gun pointed to your head? 

I can't imagine how you find the effort to burn so much energy on hours of different variations of the same plot on TV, with exceptions, I'm sure.

Do you plan on checking out Legion crocs?

Season 2 was actually pretty good @Stefancos. I enjoyed it.

To answer your question, @Quintus, I generally enjoyed the previous three mini-series. They generally are so-so in terms of quality. Getting points for more down-to-earth graphic violence and darker themes. But they also often miss the mark often and preach too much. I'm looking forward to watch The Defenders later this year and some elements will be surely brought together, as with the films. So that is why I'll finish it. But it isn't really very impressive. Daredevil at least had a cool Batman on budget kind of feel, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage both played on their somewhat topical themes (in a heavy-handed fashion but still). This one doesn't really have much to explore. And the main character is just dull.

Karol