What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Well it will be, with the upcoming seasons. Hopefully that means they cut the meandering filler.

Wise words, and uttered by someone to someone else with a very "unique" taste who was asking others if he should buy a Blu-Ray box set of a show he had never seen.

Don't see how it applies in the current situation, though, where someone is simply asking someone else his thoughts on a show, and which won't affect his decision to watch said show.

James Hurley and his blonde bint have exited Twin Peaks and I'm on the final six episodes! It hasn't been all that bad really (there are gem moments in every episode), but the Diane Keaton helmed episode is the absolute worst of the entire thing, it's horrific. Ben Horne is past his civil war phase too, so it's only on the up from here. Well, apart from Billy Zane and Heather Graham. 

Ben Horne's mental breakdown was the most watchable thing during that part of the show, if I remember correctly. Is that right before Windom Earle becomes a big character.

Season 2 isnt bad all the way through, but it does go down hill after Fox Mulder's transvestite leaves and the Windom Earle stuff kicks into high gear.

Windom Earle plays too much like a 60s Batman villain for me to take seriously as a psychotic "genius", it's pretty risible to me. The Ben Horne breakdown I remember enjoying first time around, but it became a drag on a second viewing, I'm glad it's done with. The Josie Packard (underrated character) subplot I have gotten into again though, particularly the drawer knob demise which happened last night. Because it means Bob and the Black Lodge are front and centre again at last (the show pretty much abandoned them for many episodes), and the more mystical aspect of the story gets the attention it deserves. 

Windom Earle is a broad, almost farcical comedy villain. And doesn't have anything of the creepiness and mystery of the Laura Palmer murder stuff. But after going though a part of the show which had no direction, it feels like an improvement. 

Josie is awful.

I think she fits the kitschy profile of the Twin Peaks universe. A character that is so wet and bland it can only be by design. Her storyline is one of the more watchable ones in season 2, albeit mainly due to the surrounding characters. 

14 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Thoughts?

That one has been on my "To watch" list since forever.

It's pretty wonderful.  Unlike a lot of anime, this one is episodic, even though there is character background and information, there isn't an overarching story.  Although I've gotten through half of it.

Definitely recommended because of the style, designs, animation, atmosphere, stories, and music.

There's a show called Samurai Champloo by the same manga artist that has the same sort of style as well, I believe, but I've never seen it.

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I remember correctly (only 25 episodes or so, and a movie, right?).

26.  But along with the movie, that's it.

Can't wait, the previous two seasons were really good.

In the meantime, I've finished the first season of Deadwood. Fucking brilliant, as good as television shows get. It's like a western version of The Wire. a Ian McShane is just a delight.... in the most vulgar of ways.

Karol

maxresdefault.jpg

Legion - Chapter 7

So the dialogue is sometimes on the weak side, and Dan Stevens' ham-fisted American accent wears thin and occasionally the plotting has some mis-steps, but boy does this show make up for that in its unrestrained visual and stylistic bravado. Clearly Hawley had no interest in the superhero myth itself (as clearly shown in the dismissive way this episode fills us in on the main character's origins). Rather, he uses the idea of "superpowers" to play as much as he could with narrative and forms of storytelling, and that's why you have this psychedelic, and often thrilling product. The climactic, silent-film, sequence was fantastic and done with the same absurdist wit that made Fargo's second season such a hit. Aubrey Plaza is just delightfully evil in this show. Only real downfall is the rushed ending, but I look forward to the season finale next week.

Oh and the score is good stuff. There are parts of it that retain the Fargo-esque vibe. It seems Jeff Russo may be joining the likes of Greenwood as talented rock-crossover composers.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's like a western version of The Wire

Karol

I find the two quite different but in both series the writing is brilliant. 

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

In the meantime, I've finished the first season of Deadwood. Fucking brilliant, as good as television shows get. It's like a western version of The Wire. a Ian McShane is just a delight.... in the most vulgar of ways.

Karol

Sadly the levels sunk really fast since 2006. We still get quality product now and then but the tv market is saturated with too much hastily produced escapism (and seldom on the level of Milius' soapy but great 'Rome' from around the same time).

37 minutes ago, publicist said:

Sadly the levels sunk really fast since 2006. 

To be honest, I don't think Rome is up there with the best of them. Yes, it's good but it's not that great when you watch it again. I loved Deadwood the first time around but when I watch it again years later I declared it one of the best series ever made. True, a show like Deadwood doesn't come around every year, but we still have high quality compared to before the renaissance.

The best ever:

I, Claudius

The Wire

Deadwood

Heimat

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

The Sopranos

Six Feet Under

I see no Rome in my list.

Alex

45 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I see no Rome in my list.

I also do not see a huge line-up of much worse and less entertaining 'historical' series, so there.

51 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

All of JWfan must watch it. Do the Americans even know about it?

It has been broadcast a couple of times in the US.

On 21/03/2017 at 11:35 AM, Stefancos said:

And is there something wrong with that?

You have a strong Cremers like tendency to put down people who are into things that you find a waste of time. Just a little whiff of pompous arse.

I guess it's where the Brexit "we're better than them" part comes from.

I think you attribute far too much to Brexit mentality. Snobbery is universal, when it suits. 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

All of JWfan must watch it. Do the Americans even know about it?

You may be surprised at the amount of British programing we Americans are aware of.

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

Parks & Recreation S02E24. A total snorefest. I'm going to give it one more chance. ONE more chance. The first episode of the third series better be gold... 

Honestly, if you've watched two full years of this show and haven't been convinced that you enjoy it, then I don't see how that's going to change.  The show is pretty consistent as what it is for its 5 year run.