What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Watched it for myself?  Huh?  What?  I watch it with my wife, and I literally just said it wasn't that good.  I'm confused....

What shows are for me?  Are you asking me what comedies I watch, or what dramas, or both?  Haven't we already had that conversation multiple times?  If I must say it all again:

Currently airing shows I like:

Better Call Saul

Black Mirror

Mr Robot

Fargo

The OA

Stranger Things

Game of Thrones

Search Party

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Silicon Valley

Wet Hot American Summer

Angie Tribeca

Last Man On Earth

Brooklyn 99

Modern Family

Sherlock BBC (season 4 is garbage though)

No-longer airing shows I liked:
Twin Peaks
Carnivale

Breaking Bad

Six Feet Under

The Sopranos

True Detective (Season 1 only)

Dollhouse

Boardwalk Empire (later seasons weren't as good as the earlier ones though)

Sons and Daughters

Arrested Development

Scrubs

Parks and Recreation

The Office

Currently airing shows I don't think are that great:

Homeland (seasons 1-2 were OK)

Santa Clarita Diet (waste of time)

Kimmy Schmidt (Season 1 showed potential)

Vice Principals

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Orange Is The New Black (had potential but kind of slowly devolved into being just OK)

All the Marvel/Netflix shows (they are too similar to each other)

No-longer airing shows I don't really recommend

Dexter (seasons 1-4 were good, seasons 5-8 were terrible)
Weeds (Started out good, quickly turned to utter garbage)

True Blood (Season 1 was genuinely good, then each seasons got worse and worse until it was outright terrible)

How I Met Your Mother (good potential squandered by a final season and episode that was a big F U to fans)

Community (Early seasons showed potential, but the show was never consistently great for me, way too much up and down)

Shows I want to watch, but simply have not yet started

The Wire

The Man In The High Castle

Mad Men

The Americans

Bates Motel

The Affair

The Leftovers

Cool. 

Well, you asked, so I answered.  Unless I misunderstood what you wanted to know.  If so, please re-phrase your question.

Unless, of course, you messed up and don't want to admit it.

In a good mood today, despite the rainy atmosphere and overwhelming amount of work I have to do today and this weekend

The heat turned on in the house yesterday for the first time in like 2 weeks.  We had a gorgeous streak of amazing weather and now its back to rainy and cold

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The heat turned on in the house yesterday for the first time in like 2 weeks.  We had a gorgeous streak of amazing weather and now its back to rainy and cold

We had 20 Celsius less then 2 weeks ago. 2 days ago i biked to work in 1 degree above freezing.

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

Shows I want to watch, but simply have not yet started:

The Wire

The Man In The High Castle

Mad Men

The Americans

Bates Motel

The Affair

The Leftovers

Wow, I've seen all these shows except for The Man In A High Castle. (and I don't see as many shows as you do)

I finally binged Deadwood a few years ago.  The first season I thought was quite good, but I remember being sort of disappointed by the time season 3 rolled around. It was definitely a solid show and in many ways ahead of its time...I'm not sure if you'd call it pre-golden age or one of the first golden-age shows, but the kind of top shelf quality we take for granted now was definitely present in Deadwood. Though again, I don't think I was taken with it as others, and I don't think I'd watch it again...though certainly I'd check out a movie. Needless to say that show was all about McShane and it wouldn't have worked without him.

I remember liking Rome better, and that's a show I think I'd like to watch again.

Oh really? I did not know that.

Sopranos is one of those huge cultural things I missed, probably because I was living in Russia when people were going crazy about it. I've also never seen a single Fast & Furious or Transformers movie.

Girls Season 6

Miserable ending to a miserable show.  It had potential when it launched but never reached it at all.  The biggest problem with the show is that the four main characters are all completely self-indulgent narcissists, and remain that way until the bitter end.  Hardly any of these characters show any growth at all over 6 years (though I guess the show only actually covers 2-3 years of their lives).  The biggest problem with the later seasons is including the more more interesting characters (Shoshanna and Jessa) less and less, in order to instead feature new characters that aren't as good (Elijah, Hanna's neighbors) more and more.  Marnie is insufferable and never learns any lessons, which is basically how you can describe Hannah as well (but at least she tries).  Shoshanna was great throughout primarily thanks to Mamet's performance) but the show never bothers to give her a really important storyline (her Japan season was a waste of potential) or worthwhile ending.  In fact, the biggest problem with the final season is that no one got an ending!  The final episode had no sense of finality to it; It was just another episode.  Which means retroactively the final scenes we got of all the characters that weren't in the final episode (So, everyone but Hannah, Marnie, and her mom) got in the episodes leading up to the final were their final scenes in the whole series, none of which felt like final scenes at the time, not remotely.  Maybe the showrunners were trying to say something about the fluidity of life choices and didn't want to give an ending to any of the characters, but it just leads to me feeling like "well what was the bloody point of watching these characters for 6 years if you have nothing to say about them and don't show them learning anything"?

I can't recommend anything about this show, unless someone makes a youtube cut of all of Shoshanna's best moments or something.

It wasn't hated for six years; Often shows have just enough potential that you keep watching to see where it goes, then when it goes nowhere or to a horrible place in the end (Dexter, How I Met Your Mother) the whole show becomes worthless in retrospect.  Also, my wife liked it, and we watched it together.  It's not like I sit there in rapt attention taking in every detail while watching a show I don't love; I might be on my phone or the laptop or folding laundry or whatever.  Haven't we covered this topic 2-3 time already?

No, but we've talked about not needing to absolutely love a show to be willing to watch it, especially if you significant other likes it and you like spending time with her, as well as the difference between shows worth focusing on with no distractions vs shows you can do other things during.

My wife watched all 6 seasons of Girls but I was so disgusted by it it became a show she'd watch while was way on the other side of the house listening to records or whatever.  I couldn't stand to even be within earshot of that garbage.

36 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, it's a show about vampires. Of course it sucks...

Well under that logic I guess you could argue that Interstellar, a movie about black holes, sucks as well.

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

So in other words, nothing sucks more than Interstellar

Clearly you haven't seen Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Star Trek Beyond.

17 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I watched True Blood, a show that sucked since the first season, b/c my s/o liked it. Comes with the territory.

Oh come on now, the first season wasn't that bad. Actually presented a decent murder mystery, and had some good world building. It all went quickly to shit after that, though. 

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

My wife watched all 6 seasons of Girls but I was so disgusted by it it became a show she'd watch while was way on the other side of the house listening to records or whatever.  I couldn't stand to even be within earshot of that garbage.

I gave up on Outlander after we watched the first few episodes together. Just not a show for me. You didn't miss anything by giving up on Girls, the main characters all remained insufferable narcissists until the bitter end. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh come on now, the first season wasn't that bad. Actually presented a decent murder mystery, and had some good world building. It all went quickly to shit after that, though. 

Sorry...that's what I meant, since (after) the first season, not including it. My bad. I thought the first season was pretty good. As you said, captivating murder mystery, world building, and I thought the whole thing had a nice Southern Gothic feel to it. It was with season two the show started to become ridiculous.  By the end it was just self-parody.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Sorry...that's what I meant, since (after) the first season, not including it. My bad. I thought the first season was pretty good. As you said, captivating murder mystery, world building, and I thought the whole thing had a nice Southern Gothic feel to it. It was with season two the show started to become ridiculous.  By the end it was just self-parody.

Ah, cool, yup totally agreed.  Self-parody is a good way to describe the silly depths the later seasons got into.

The first season was camp as well (in the beginning I really had to adjust to it before I could appreciate it) with a little bit of Twin Peaks thrown into the mix but the series increasingly suffered from the 'We need more of everything' disease. I gave up after three seasons, I think.

He literally pulls nonsense and fallacy about people out of thin air doesn't he, it's the dude's entire shtick here, it's been like that as far back as I can remember. I mean, he must still believe people are fooled by it, otherwise why would he do it? 

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I never said anything of the sort, that's a classic AlexCremers inference.

I'm relieved to hear that.  Well, Quint was all over the thread and because I don't see his posts I might have misinterpreted something. 

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So it's Lee's fault if you didn't understand something. Interesting....

It's always someone else who's to blame, innit?

You didn't understand my post? Okay. I didn't blame anything except for me not seeing Quint's posts. Don't know why you interpret that as me saying it's Lee's fault.