What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

It's this maneuvering which stopped me from bothering to debate him anymore years ago. It became far less tedious to switch it up and just poke fun at him instead. This is before the days of BloodBoal, or GreyPilgrim. All the old guard know exactly how it works with Alex. 

My last memory of talking movies with the dude was a pages long dispute over 'Jewish Curse' film A Serious Man. A film I'd seen, which he had not. The worst thing about it is I'll never get that time back. Still, it's an amusing 'classic Cremers' story, for anybody who's interested. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Classic!

Doesn't change the fact that the reluctance that some people have to recognize the influence of Twin Peaks is fairly strong. Last week it was Fargo, now it's True Blood.

You didnt recognize that that was a humorous call-back to an earlier discussion about True Detective and Twin Peaks?

Well, I certainly can't be blamed for that. Perhaps you didnt remember properly, or understood the context, since that discussion had quite a lot of Quintus comments.

Oh well....

wwTj579.png

Season 1. Consisting of an optimal 10 episodes and better again with each instalment coming in at a conveniently brisk 30 mins in length, this serialised modern soap opera or sincere 'Jewish farce' (this took me some time to realise) from Amazon is simply brilliant. Jeffery Tambor is obviously the main draw for many trying it out, but really there's a superb ensemble here each with their own well fleshed out characteristics and personal storylines, it's all thoroughly drawn across the board of the five main members of the Pfefferman family. The first few episodes revolving around Tambor's 'Mort' gradually coming out to each of his utterly self obsessed children (the worst yet absolutely captivating bunch of chronic narcissists ever to grace a television show) about his secret and lifelong transgender disposition, or up to now at least, his preference to dress like a woman; what follows afterwards I actually found quite difficult to pin down, which early on is automatically worthwhile to me.

Judging by the first episode, I thought it was to be a rather gritty and serious family drama with an undercurrent of always present uncomfortable humour, which at times it very much is like that, but then the next episode might feature something so ludicrous and even unbelievable that I was quite taken aback and I had to readjust. I didn't like some of the turns actually, but in hindsight I now understand the sort of feeling the female creators were going for, and it's good. Other times there are unexpected flourishes of dreamy impressionism, a wedding occasion sees the scene suddenly change to a party taking place in 1934 Berlin, for example, such sequences are abstract and strangely affecting, but these moments are left to the viewer to attach whatever feeling or importance to them themselves, nothing is spelt out, never does it pander to expectation.  And then there's the aforementioned farcical nature of the dramatic set-pieces, the mishmash of storytelling approaches and the absurdity of everything here really shouldn't work, but bloody hell it does. Never a dull moment in this show! Two seasons left to watch and a fourth coming later this year, it's nice at last to not have to rely just on Vince Gilligan for excellent, original writing in my TV fix anymore. 

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

wwTj579.png

Season 1. Consisting of an optimal 10 episodes and better again with each instalment coming in at a conveniently brisk 30 mins in length, this serialised modern soap opera or sincere 'Jewish farce' (this took me some time to realise) from Amazon is simply brilliant. Jeffery Tambor is obviously the main draw for many trying it out, but really there's a superb ensemble here each with their own well fleshed out characteristics and personal storylines, it's all thoroughly drawn across the board of the five main members of the Pfefferman family. The first few episodes revolving around Tambor's 'Mort' gradually coming out to each of his utterly self obsessed children (the worst yet absolutely captivating bunch of chronic narcissists ever to grace a television show) about his secret and lifelong transgender disposition, or up to now at least, his preference to dress like a woman; what follows afterwards I actually found quite difficult to pin down, which early on is automatically worthwhile to me.

Judging by the first episode, I thought it was to be a rather gritty and serious family drama with an undercurrent of always present uncomfortable humour, which at times it very much is like that, but then the next episode might feature something so ludicrous and even unbelievable that I was quite taken aback and I had to readjust. I didn't like some of the turns actually, but in hindsight I now understand the sort of feeling the female creators were going for, and it's good. Other times there are unexpected flourishes of dreamy impressionism, a wedding occasion sees the scene suddenly change to a party taking place in 1934 Berlin, for example, such sequences are abstract and strangely affecting, but these moments are left to the viewer to attach whatever feeling or importance to them themselves, nothing is spelt out, never does it pander to expectation.  And then there's the aforementioned farcical nature of the dramatic set-pieces, the mishmash of storytelling approaches and the absurdity of everything here really shouldn't work, but bloody hell it does. Never a dull moment in this show! Two seasons left to watch and a fourth coming later this year, it's nice at last to not have to rely just on Vince Gilligan for excellent, original writing in my TV fix anymore. 

Finally someone else watches the Amazon stuff. This, 'Fleabag' (and 'Feud') got me through the especially heinous Berlin spring. And how long it took me through dig through piles of middling shit to find it.

28 minutes ago, publicist said:

Finally someone else watches the Amazon stuff. This, 'Fleabag' (and 'Feud') got me through the especially heinous Berlin spring. And how long it took me through dig through piles of middling shit to find it.

I watched the first two seasons of Transparent. Quality stuff.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

I searched Fleabag after you mentioned it here the other day, but on the UK Amazon streaming service the show isn't included as part of Prime. Bosch, however, is. Isn't that procedural crime though? 

Fleabag is a co-production between the BBC and Amazon.  It airs on BBC Three in the UK and Amazon Prime in the US.

It's available on Amazon here, but there's a cost. It isn't included, like Transparent is, with Prime. 

Maybe BBCi Player still has it on demand, but I doubt it. They remove content quickly so as to maximise resale potential, the gits. 

I was right there at the start, when it first aired on BBC2, in January, 1995.

It's still fun to watch, though. There's a real innocence, and sense of purpose, to the early stuff, plus Jerry Hardin was great. Do I need to mention Tooms, or even GA in her black swimsuit?

Riverdale - Episode 1

Production values aside, mostly insufferable. Don't think I'll be continuing.

Definitely see the Twin Peaks rip you were talking about though Lee. It's quite obvious really.

9 hours ago, KK said:

Riverdale - Episode 1

Production values aside, mostly insufferable. Don't think I'll be continuing.

It's for American teens. They stole the setting and story from Twin Peaks but it's not a child of Twin Peaks, far from it. It's more of a high school murder mystery for MTV. A show for teens who like to watch other teens.

I'm not sure how loosely the show really follows the comics, but the plot is basically Twin Peaks designed for horny teens who love their soaps.

I saw the first episode of American Gods. Very extravagantly styled. Perhaps a bit too much so for my taste, in fact, but it may well be that the book wouldn't work any other way. We'll see how it carries on.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I saw the first episode of American Gods. Very extravagantly styled. Perhaps a bit too much so for my taste, in fact, but it may well be that the book wouldn't work any other way. We'll see how it carries on.

Did you watch Hannibal?  It's from the same showrunner, and is also heavily stylized.  You kind of either get on his wavelength or you don't.  Kinda like Wes Anderson (not in style but in the 'love it or hate it' quality)

On 4/27/2017 at 0:55 AM, Quintus said:

It [Fleabag]'s available on Amazon here, but there's a cost. It isn't included, like Transparent is, with Prime. 

Maybe BBCi Player still has it on demand, but I doubt it. They remove content quickly so as to maximise resale potential, the gits. 

Yeah, it is still on the iPlayer. At the moment it says it will be available for the next few months, but they seem to keep extending/renewing it...

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I read about it but it sounded like much ado about (almost) nothing, storywise. 'Hannibal' i tried for several episodes but it seemed boring to me. Kind of like 'Homeland', where you have one or two memorable set pieces per season and lots of boring filler draped around it. 

24 minutes ago, publicist said:

'Hannibal' i tried for several episodes but it seemed boring to me. Kind of like 'Homeland', where you have one or two memorable set pieces per season and lots of boring filler draped around it. 

That's not how I would describe Hannibal at all. You quit the series too soon. Jay was right, it gets so much better and ... different.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2014/02/hannibal_on_nbc_is_the_best_thomas_harris_adaptation_to_date_better_than.html

Alex - looking forward to American Gods

I actually re-started it on S3 and didn't find it any better than the first two or three episodes i watched. Not my cup of serial killer.

I wouldn't like it either if I jumped all the way to the first episode of S3. That doesn't make any sense. It's not a episodic series, even though S1 starts that way.

It doesn't appeal to me, and i gazed through several episodes. Watching more wouldn't make that any better, especially if you don't like the drawn-out main angle of the story. I liked the corpses in the silo and that's about it.

POST_AIR_TL_301_BK_0116.jpg

The Leftovers S3E1 - The Book of Kevin

Ah, it's nice to be back. And the show appears to still be in top form! Although this premiere is far more subdued than what was thrown at you at the beginning of season 2, but its especially relevant to The Leftovers' familiar themes. I like how this episode takes it time, subverting our expectations, cleansing the setting and characters of all the heavy supernatural elements of the last season, like showing us the big secret to a good magic trick, and yet you know things are still not quite what they seem. And with the opening and closing, the show appears to be just as engaging as ever. I look forward to the remainder of the season.

outcast-season-1.jpg

presto-mr-robot-s2-cast.jpg

Anyone else watching these? 
Am catching Mr Robot as it goes out on Universal Channel here in the UK as opposed to on Amazon Prime (currently 3 episodes into Season 2) and Outcast on Fox as opposed to Cinemax (halfway through Season 2). 

33 minutes ago, KK said:

POST_AIR_TL_301_BK_0116.jpg

The Leftovers S3E1 - The Book of Kevin

Ah, it's nice to be back. And the show appears to still be in top form! Although this premiere is far more subdued than what was thrown at you at the beginning of season 2, but its especially relevant to The Leftovers' familiar themes. I like how this episode takes it time, subverting our expectations, cleansing the setting and characters of all the heavy supernatural elements of the last season, like showing us the big secret to a good magic trick, and yet you know things are still not quite what they seem. And with the opening and closing, the show appears to be just as engaging as ever. I look forward to the remainder of the season.

This is the final season, right? Might be a good time to start watching. By the time it's done airing I can go right through it. 

I still have to start watching the second season. I also watched the first few episodes of Outcast when it came out, but then kinda forgot about it. I should continue, if only to see more of Brent Spiner.