What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I don't think our Disco Stu would urge Drax to watch a Jane Champion like TV series.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's an incredible show and everyone should watch it.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:42 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Has anyone else around here watched Attack on Titan and feel utterly frustrated by it? I liked parts of it and I thought it had great ideas, but all in all it felt so clumsily executed that it kept frustrating me.

Loved the show.  There are elements in basically every anime that frustrate me, but nothing that prevented my enjoyment of the AoT.  I liked the characters, the concept, the energy, etc, and thought it was exciting and well told.  I plan on watching the first season again before I delve into the recently completed second season.  I was happy to hear that the third season is already being made and will be out next year.  It seems there will be 4 seasons total.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:22 AM, BloodBoal said:

Well, @nightscape94 did.

I can't even remember the last time I watched anime.  Not for me.

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Finally finished season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale.  It's an incredible show and everyone should watch it.

Not a fan of the needle dropped pop songs.  Didn't feel totally fitting.

Just finished it recently myself. It's very good. Sometimes it stumbles and has certain strange tonal choices (ex. the pop songs, some of the flashbacks, certain generic aesthetic choices), but overall, I was pretty happy with it. Good stuff. Will post a brief write-up soon.

I kinda of want to watch that entire show again before season 2 comes out next year

Patience children, all in due time!

And yea, the OA was an enjoyable experience, but not sure I'd want to sit through the whole season again, warts and all. I hope the 2nd season can build more on its more inspired moments.

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Finally finished season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale.  It's an incredible show and everyone should watch it.

Halfway through the book (not much time to read lately). Will try to find the series somewhere once I'm done.

18 minutes ago, KK said:

And yea, the OA was an enjoyable experience, but not sure I'd want to sit through the whole season again, warts and all. I hope the 2nd season can build more on its more inspired moments.

Is there going to be a second season of The OA?

On 2/8/2017 at 1:03 PM, Jay said:

AND just like that - The OA has been renewed for Season 2!

New Dirk Gently coming this autumn:

Stupid Facebook can't do links to posts containing videos. There's a post associated with the video that says "#DirkGently returns THIS FALL for an all new case."

On 7/6/2017 at 10:10 AM, BloodBoal said:

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (2015)

I wasn't a huge fan of the book this show is based on: Clarke's writing style wasn't really to my liking (especially her tendency to focus heavily on worldbuilding via overly lenghty footnotes that often take a whole page (more like "bodynotes", really) plus other digression throughout the story), it took an awful lot of time for both titular characters to actually appear in the story, a lot of the main events were not actually witnessed via the eyes of the main characters, but rather related by secondary characters... Yet, when a series based on the book was announced, I was actually quite interested, because I did like the overall story and the universe presented in the book (especially the way magic was handled), and I knew that a TV adaptation would definitely get rid of most of the stuff I didn't like to focus on the two magicians (which would have to be introduced in the first episode) and we would also get to be shown most of the events only told after the fact in the book. Basically, I was convinced I would like it.

And I was right: really loved that series. The one thing they really nailed is the impeccable cast, especially Eddie Marsan and Bertie Cavell as the titular characters, Marc Warren as the Gentleman, Paul Kaye as Vinculus, Vincent Franklin as Drawlight, John Heffernan as Lascelles and my personal favourite: Enzo Cilenti as Childermass (want to see that guy in more stuff!). They also found the right balance between humor and more melodramatic stuff, just like in the book. The production values are to be commended as well (solid special effects in there. Waterloo!). Groulx and Charest's score, while nothing truly remarkable, gets the job done and offers some nice highlights here and there (The Waltz, Horse Sands, Magic In The Cathedral...).

There's honestly not much I didn't like. If I were to nitpick, I'd say the last two episodes feel a tad more rushed (some events happening a bit too fast, not given the proper attention they deserved): maybe having just one more episode would have helped in that regard.  Wasn't particularly happy with the look they gave to the Raven King either (goth-mode overkill). But these are really minor quibbles, since on the whole, the series offers an excellent well-rounded experience. Recommended!

It's my favorite novel of this century!  I thought the show was probably as good as an adaptation could be, but it doesn't come close to the pleasures of the text for me.  Magic is just more....magical when read about, when kept a bit mysterious, than when you have to figure out a way to show it on screen.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

I do plan on giving the book a second chance, having really enjoyed the series and thinking I'll probably enjoy my second reading more, now having faces to put on the characters (it's something I always struggle with when reading a book that had no adaptation: I suck at imagining faces for the characters, and thus picture them in my mind!) and visual representations of some other stuff I had trouble really picturing in my mind.

It's one of those books where even though I love it deeply, one of my favorite pieces of culture of my life, I don't blame people if the pastiche style is too much for them.  It's one of those things you're either really on board with or it drives you up the wall.

I could have sworn I'd seen that show up on Netflix, but either I'm dreaming things or it's been removed. I remember it being on TV here, but I paid it little notice at the time because I'm a bit of a snob towards British stuff, particularly when I see period costumes. I admit I'm mildly intrigued though. 

Mushi-Shi and Mushi-Shi: Next Passage

mushishi.jpg

Really incredible show.  It's completely episodic, with each one being self-contained.  It involves a traveling healer named Ginko, who has a 3rd eye ability to see and help people who have been in some way affected by these things called mushi, which is life in its purest form, acting almost like a parasite.  They can interact with plant life and animals while still retaining the ability to stay hidden behind the window of reality on another plane of existence.  I'm not entirely sure I even understand it, but in a way that's part of what's fascinating about it.  From one episode to the next, we find out more about different types of mushi.  There are all kinds of endings; happy, sad, reflective, etc.

Because we know very little about Ginko's backstory, and because there is no major character arc for him,  there isn't truly any serious emotional payoff at the end, but the experience is still highly effective.  Every episode tells its own tale, and they all feel very original.  It wasn't a show I could binge several at a time, but when it was all over it was just as rewarding as many of the great anime I've seen, and I would easily put this near the top of my list and recommend it to anyone.

On 07/07/2017 at 6:41 PM, BloodBoal said:

On a sidenote: @KK should check that show. I think he'd like it. @Brónach too (if she's still there), and for some reason, @Marian Schedenig as well.

I'd never heard of it before, but those screencaps look intriguing. I'll keep it on my list.

Doctor Who: "Father's Day" (AKA the one where Eccleston takes off his jacket)

s1_08_wal_03.jpg

I've been watching the first season over and over again because it's just so damn fantastic. This one is pretty fascinating for a variety of reasons. It does show The Doctor traveling back in his own timeline, which is something he later says he can't do. I find it interesting that he even agrees to bring Rose back to her Father's death. When she alters history for her own benefit and the Doc becomes furious (and none of the other Doctors could emote fury quite like Eccleston), he immediately forgives her, despite nearly bringing about the end of the world. He must have really loved her. The storyline is just sort of ludicrous, but it's heartfelt. I maintain that while all the later Doctors were great in their own way, Eccleston was the best. The relationship between him and Rose was far more interesting than with Tennant, which was still cute, but was mainly just that.

I love the previous episodes as well. When Eccleston shakes Charles Dickens' hand and says "Nice to meet you, fantastic", it's more moving to me than the Van Gogh episode. It even looks like Billie Piper is responding more to Eccleston in that moment and just how great he is. When you think about it, the Van Gogh one basically ripped off that episode, except The Doctor just tells him his work lives on forever rather than taking him to the future. It's a great season from a great series.

It was DW episodes like "The End of Time" and Miracle Day that really made me ok with RTD leaving the show.  He could be amazing ("Midnight" being his best ever episode), but boy he could be the shittiest writer too.

Orange is the New Black, season 1. Pretty good. Really curious how things will unfold. Hope Alex and Larry will be written out of it soon and sad that the Christian fanatic probably won't say too much in the next episodes.

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It was DW episodes like "The End of Time" and Miracle Day that really made me ok with RTD leaving the show.  He could be amazing ("Midnight" being his best ever episode), but boy he could be the shittiest writer too.

Ah, yes. The one where The Doctor looks likes a fool in front of a group of people declaring this:

tumblr_msfznjhgvZ1s14cmno1_500.gif

Eccleston's Doctor was much better at rallying a bunch of strange humans as we saw in "Father's Day"!

6 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Ah, yes. The one where The Doctor looks likes a fool in front of a group of people declaring this:

All the nonsense with the Master in that episode.  None of it made any sense.  Dumb dumb dumb.

Season 2 of Vice Principals is coming Sunday September 17th

Season 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm is coming Sunday October 1st

We're watching Firefly again. I really have to say that these Firefly women never looked better than when they appeared in this series. How does Whedon do that?

7ed166d964e1ee291fd2771079d61dae7c0ec014

River+Tam.jpg

Zoe2.jpg

innara.jpg

2f8dd3a27577579c7f99728d68cd5115--firefl