What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Season 1 of The Office in the bag (a rewatch), and all these years later it's still spectacular. It's easy to take Gervais' creation for granted now, but this was a seminal moment for British TV comedy, and it has lost none of its showstopping cringeworthy potency.

Boxing off season 2 of Mad Men, it's top five material. January Jones is a damn fine actress.

On 9/11/2017 at 9:29 AM, Stefancos said:

It looks shit. Saw promo's for The Good Doctor, which also looks shit.

It looks cute.  But it could turn bad. The kid has Sheldon down. 

34 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Season 1 of The Office in the bag (a rewatch), and all these years later it's still spectacular. It's easy to take Gervais' creation for granted now, but this was a seminal moment for British TV comedy, and it has lost none of its showstopping cringeworthy potency.

Boxing of season 2 of Mad Men, it's top five material. January Jones is a damn fine actress.

I think Lee's lower brain made that last comment. Fine looking absolutely fine actress absolutely not.

I haven't commented on barely anything I've been seeing because I don't connect with the big American dramas that are most popular, but I haven't seen so many tv shows one after another in years, so I might try one of these days.

I've seen some parts of the season 7 of GoT out of curiosity. I think, out of those, it's the one I've tried hardest, and I actually loved the first season, but it lost me after that. But I've been hearing good things about Black Sails so I might try that.

Incidentally I've also fallen behind of Doctor Who, but I'm lazy about catching up

I saw this thing about a month and a half ago, which is apparently rather well-known and famous and everything.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica / Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Studio Shaft, 2011. Gen Urobuchi (writer), Akiyuki Shinbou (director), Ume Aoki (character designer), Gekidan Inu Curry duo (more design and animation), Yuki Kajiura (music), Aoi Yuuki (“Madoka”), Chiwa Saitou (“Homura”), Emiri Katou (“Kyubey”), etc

(Note: people who moan about “gay politics” in fiction abstain from this show)

I have a thing for the mahou shoujo genre and its variants.

The show is a fairy tale, of the kind where the fairies might steal or eat children. It also contains soft cosmic horror elements. Madoka Magica loves its own genre and it’s got everything and the kitchen sink condensed in it through 12 episodes (it points to Cardcaptor Sakura particularly, but also others). People love calling it a “deconstruction”, but I don’t think it’s that. It’s just a strong entry.

However not everything is perfect. The central arc, while solid, goes way too fast, and it might as well be because if it didn’t and the characters interacted more, it might logically have gone somewhere else than it does. The inmediate next part of the story (beginning episode 10) might have benefited from being much more detailed. Episode 10 itself originally contained material to fit 45 minutes. Alas, it was not to be.

I need to talk about desiiiiign. The show does this funny thing of drawing its already young characters in a style that makes them seem even younger, which actually does serve to get the point across. The contrast between cuteness, the different art styles used to represent magic, and the “not quite right” feeling of the non magical environments all align to transmit this suggestion of dread (and maybe a bit of hope, with the cuteness). Kajiura Yuki’s music also plays with all of this. It’s near perfect.

I don’t need things to be perfect though. I want works with strong personalities that leave a mark on me. And in general, Madoka Magica just happens to click with a toooon of stuff I like, even the trippy ending stuff (pointing everything out would be overlong), so in retrospective it’s no surprise that I ended up a fan of this.

(I might talk about the film continuation someday. It essentially cranks up to eleven the arthouse mindfuck, asks too much of the viewer, and it’s an hilarious counterpoint in an age where we complain about cloned Marvel superhero movies. Then the film somehow manages to fuck it up in the last fifteen minutes)

puella_magi_madoka_magica-08-kyubey-incubator-shaft_head_turn.jpg

On 11-9-2017 at 4:41 PM, publicist said:

Narcos S3.

Solid.

Solid indeed. In fact, it's very suspenseful from episode 3 onward but sadly S3 has to do without the magnificent performance of Wagner Moura (Pablo Escobar) and therefore never reaches the same height.

4221396001_5531708550001_5531700374001-v

This scene at the barber shop was one of the highlights.

Outstanding Drama Series

The Handmaid's Tale

Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid's Tale

Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us

Outstanding Limited Series

Big Little Lies

Television Movie

Black Mirror: San Junipero

Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie

Nicole Kidman, Little Big Lies

Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

Riz Ahmed, The Night Of

Outstanding Comedy Series

Veep

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Donald Glover, Atlanta

Variety Talk Series

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver

Directing for a Variety Series

Don Roy King, Saturday Night Live ("Host: Jimmy Fallon")

Writing for a Limited Series or Movie

Charlie Brooker, Black Mirror: San Junipero

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series

Reed Morano, The Handmaid's Tale ("Offred"/Pilot)

Reality Competition Program

The Voice

Writing for a Comedy Series

Aziz Ansari, Lena Waithe, Master of None ("Thanksgiving")

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Ann Dowd, The Handmaid's Tale

Writing for a Variety Series

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver

Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

Alexander Skarsgård, Big Little Lies

Directing for a Limited Series or Movie

Jean-Marc Vallée, Big Little Lies

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Alec Baldwin, Saturday Night Live

Writing for a Drama Series

Bruce Miller, The Handmaid's Tale ("Offred"/Pilot)

Variety Sketch Series

Saturday Night Live

Directing for a Comedy Series

Donald Glover, Atlanta

Outstanding Supporting Actress in Limited Series or TV Movie

Laura Dern, Big Little Lies

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

John Lithgow, The Crown

So I watched the first episode of Westworld after seeing them all listed on the Box Set channel, so I taped them all.

Not bad. I miss Yul Brynner wearing his Magnificent Seven wardrobe. Evan Rachel Wood is a cutie, especially when she's in the nuddy.

And that's another thing, how do they get away with showing all these naked people on tele? I mean I don't mind seeing ERW and that hooker lady, but they show men's doodles too. No one wants to see a man's poopy old bum, it's disgusting! Imagine being an extra in one of these shows, they musn't be shy I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

What's the difference? I watched it on a TV.

It means HBO isn't like CBS. It gives you adult drama, a genre no longer existing in cinema.

Hope this helps,

Alex

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

It's vision being televised. All the same.

The vision of CBS is for idi ... Sorry, Jay might be reading this, and he doesn't like that word.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

For some people there's no difference between NCIS and Westworld, Alex.

I haven't seen Westworld but it's HBO, right? That means it's not for moro ... I mean,  it's better than The Mentalist or Hawai-Five-O. 

Anthony Hopkins was utterly impressed with Breaking bad. Suddenly he's doing TV.

I guess he was not so impressed with The B&B or he would have made the move to TV much earlier.

Very happy to see The Handmaid's Tale and Elizabeth Moss win.  Also glad that Lithgow won for The Crown.

In what universe is San Junipero a TV movie?  It's an hour-long episode of an anthology series.  I mean, I don't really care, it's just kinda funny the silliness these producers will pull to give their shows better Emmy win chances (since it wouldn't have had a chance in limited series/drama categories).

Yes it makes no sense why San Junipero was in the TV Movie category, since its an episode of an anthology TV show (Black Mirror is kind of like a modern day Twilight Zone in many regards).  But who cares, it was the best hour of television of all of 2016, and it won!  I'm quite pleased!

Doesn't matter.  They're all episodes of a show, not movies.  It was equally dumb that Sherlock episodes were in that category