What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

GOT S7 E4. Holy mother of God, what an episode! A rew random observations:

- Bran is still annoying.

- How are the Lannisters paying the Iron Bank back again? Where did the money come from?

- Why on earth was Tyrion at the battlefield? And is my Westeros geography failing me, or did Dany get abnormally fast to (was it) the Red Keep?) Isn't that a bit far away from Dragonstone?

- Also not quite sure why Arya and Brienne's 'fight' suddenly seemed so real, as if they had a bone to pick with each other.

- I really hope Dany and Tyrion won't 'split up'.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:
Spoiler

- How are the Lannisters paying the Iron Bank back again? Where did the money come from?

Spoiler

Higharden.

Shouldn't everything be put between spoiler tags, since this is not the thread to talk specifically about the show?

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

They took gold from Highgarden (the Tyrell castle) after capturing it last episode.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

And is my Westeros geography failing me, or did Dany get abnormally fast to (was it) the Red Keep?) Isn't that a bit far away from Dragonstone?

I think this battle was supposed to take place near King's Landing (or at least on the way from Highgarden to King's Landing) which is actually not far at all from Dragonstone.  Dragonstone is at the mouth of the Blackwater Bay, so it's really just a hop and a skip to King's Landing

Really glad Ann Dowd finally won an Emmy. It's a shame that The Leftovers didn't get its due recognition.

Big Little Lies was good stuff, but BCS was better. And Carrie Coon should have taken home a statue as well.

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

GOT S7 E4. Holy mother of God, what an episode! A rew random observations:

- Bran is still annoying.

The money they took from Highgarden made it safely inside the walls of King's Landing before Dany attacked their loot train.

- Why on earth was Tyrion at the battlefield?

Why wouldn't he be?

And is my Westeros geography failing me, or did Dany get abnormally fast to (was it) the Red Keep?) Isn't that a bit far away from Dragonstone?

The Red Keep is the name of building inside the city of King's Landing that the King (or Queen) lives.  The loot train attack happened on a field near King's Landing.  King's Landing is close to Dragonstone.

- Also not quite sure why Arya and Brienne's 'fight' suddenly seemed so real, as if they had a bone to pick with each other.

It was to show their contrasting fighting styles, and also was done to have Baelish observe it so he would recognize that Arya has been trained by the Faceless Men.  Also, Brienne killed (as far as Arya knows) The Hound, who she had a kind of love/hate relationship with.

- I really hope Dany and Tyrion won't 'split up'.

He hasn't been a very good battle tactician so far, has he?

Mad Mad season 2, epi 11, the one where they go to California. Wow! This is one of the most stunning depictions of dreamy LA society I have ever seen. And then Dick Whitman returned once again and the layers peeled back further. Mesmerising.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Instead of letting us visually experiencing things, the final episode was about people sitting on a porch, explaining things.

But there was no "real" explaining at all, was there? The finale wasn't about the big mystery, it was about the intimacy of the characters themselves.

After the opening scene, the whole episode played like a short film of sorts, a love story outside of the Departure. I found it a very poignant way to close the show.

In the good episodes we followed the characters and experienced what they must have experienced (like the priest finding a solution to save his church). In the last episode they talked and talked and talked. It really was a downer for me. In the first season they hardly talked about the event. In the third I thought that was all they were doing. I suppose, now that time has gone by, they have given it a place, but that doesn't make it interesting (IMO). Learning how to deal with a new world (the loss) was the best part of the concept.

I checked out the first eppy of the Emmy Award winning The Handmaiden's Tale  but sadly the tone (and probably the subject too) doesn't sit well with me. Damn! What a bummer! So is everybody else loving it? 

It's good, but not entirely consistent. Sometimes the showrunners make some rather frustrating choices, but the great cast carries you through it.

1 minute ago, KK said:

It's good, but not entirely consistent. Sometimes the showrunners make some rather frustrating choices, but the great cast carries you through it.

Yeah it's definitely not flawless.  But overall a great accomplishment, and yeah the cast is the highlight.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

In the good episodes we followed the characters and experienced what they must have experienced (like the priest finding a solution to save his church). In the last episode they talked and talked and talked. It really was a downer for me. In the first season they hardly talked about the event. In the third I thought that was all they were doing. I suppose, now that time has gone by, they have given it a place, but that doesn't make it interesting (IMO). Learning how to deal with a new world (the loss) was the best part of the concept.

In the end, the third season came down to its broken characters finding a way to redefine themselves, and episodes like the priest one (on the boat), Laurie's ("Certified") and "The Book of Nora" all do that beautifully. It was never about the big "Doomsday" conceit, it was always about its central characters.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah it's definitely not flawless.  But overall a great accomplishment, and yeah the cast is the highlight.

Sometimes it hits some chilling beats and displays some striking visuals, but it also falls into some generic pitfalls tonally. 

I'm looking forward to the next season. But after GOT's display of post-source material writing, I can't help but feel a little cautious.

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

... and yeah the cast is the highlight.

I've seen good acting or great casts before. Give me something else! 

14 hours ago, KK said:

but it also falls into some generic pitfalls tonally. 

Maybe that's one of the problems for me.  Yes, I was quick to judge (I didn't even make it to the end of the first episode) but there was literally nothing that stimulated me to keep on watching. With other words, I was bored. It's like with the move Children Of Men, everyone thinks it's brilliant, but somehow it doesn't speak to me. Maybe that the theme of 'infertility' is simply not my thing, but I'm pretty sure it's the ponderous tone that doesn't appeal to me.

Alex

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But that last scene is exactly that... learning how to deal with the loss. Its the culmination of the characters. After all their struggle they figure out how to be happy and move on. 

The exact same ending as LOST ;)

What on earth is this:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams-impossible-planet-trailer

Just managed to catch a TV spot for it on the telly now.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-09-17/electric-dreams-tv-episode-guide/

Bryan Cranston? Hmm, I might tune in.

Channel 4 have put some good stuff out over the years, but they just don't have the marketing budget of a station like HBO or AMC. This will rely almost entirely on word of mouth if it is to do well.

Watching the fifth season of House of Cards now. I'm on episode 5 right now. It is all enjoyable, probably moreso than expected. But they need to wrap this thing up.

Karol

Star Trek, Original Series, episode 1.

Decided to start watching this because I figured it made on sense to continue with the films while missing background information. Really liked this one, much better than any of the films so far. Hopefully, seasons 1 and 2 will be enough for me to pick up the most essential character details as I can't get more of them with audio description. It is not logical, but there you have it.

I've watched Star Trek Voyager on Netflix - finally. I caught the first three and a half or so seasons back in the 90s when it first aired on German TV, until I lost interest due to the lack of strong characters and strong story arcs (especially compared to the dense and lengthy plotting of DS9 in particular).

There's some good stuff in it. Lots of mundane stuff, especially in the first few seasons (though nothing as abysmal as the first two TNG seasons) and again around the final season when it was running out of stream and the writers fluctuated a lot, resulting in more varied and perhaps at times more original, but less poignant stories. In between, it had a good run, with more interesting characters than earlier, Seven of Nine in particular (the role have been created to get a sexy character on the show, but she also got strong character development, and Jeri Ryan played her well). Bryan Fuller did good stuff for the show, and is probably responsible for several of the strongest episodes. And, unexpected to me, the series does have a small number of standout episodes that are up there with the best the Trek universe has to offer.

One thing I could never warm up to was the Janeway character, or perhaps the way Mulgrew portrayed her. I applaud the producers for putting a strong female character at the helm of a 90s TV show, but perhaps the generally unsympathetic nature of her character (not helped by Mulgrew's annoying over-use of gestures) is partly responsible for that being (as far as I noticed) one of Trek's lesser successful attempts, as far as audience reaction goes, at promoting equality. Mulgrew did have some good moments, but they were mostly when she was (deliberately) acting out of character.

Some surprisingly good and (for TV Trek) notably thematic (or at least motific) scores in there as well. I'm now interested in the LLL set.

Yes. The show had a good premise, and started out with a great cast and great production values.

Now most of the most interesting characters have been killed off or rarely appear anymore, often due to the actors getting better jobs else here.

But really, the biggest problem is that it was simply more fun watching Frank trying to become President than it is watching him be president.

On 23/9/2017 at 5:36 PM, Jay said:

It's the best season in years for most of it, then becomes the worst season of all at the end.

I really dug the first "half" of the season, but I ended up abandoning it because of how fast it went downhill.

Westworld (all episodes)

Tits, bums, fannies, dicky doos. Geez this show leaves nothing to the imagination. Makes me think people really do look better with clothes on. Just thank god we didn't get to see Anthony Hopkins in the noodle, that would have been more traumatic than anything these glorified blow up dolls had to endure.

Oh and the show, yeah it was alright. Had all that "robot discovers sentience" bullshit that science fiction storytellers like to milk for all it's worth. Only this time it's done with a weird hybrid of Abrams/Nolan branded complexity and stylisation. Is this thing really telling me anything I haven't seen before in other crazy-robot-on-the-loose classics?

It's an engrossing show nonetheless, but in future I think I'll stick with a short circuited Yul Brynner hunting guests for kicks.