What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Hey @JoeinAR, I got into Guillermo's TV show enterprise, The Strain, after you mentioned it on Facebook a while back, and whilst being dead slow to get going at first, I've quite gotten into it with a couple of episodes left in season one. It's good B-grade thriller material, and an easy stand-in for The Weakening Dead. It's my new bedtime watch to fall asleep to! (just after it finishes really, but you get my meaning ;) ). Enjoyably gross in places, the schlock style of the production, but with some solid special effects, really reminds me of those old nineties Stephen King adaptations. Only a lot better. As vampire fiction goes, it's much more my kind of thing than Diaries and True Blood are. This feels more like a grand epic than any of those sexy teeny ones. 

But I have a question - does the constant on screen location text in every single scene ever let up in following seasons? It really gets on my nerves, it's so superfluous and irritating. It's as if the makers were trying to excite all the New York taxi drivers or something. 

Biggest laugh I've had in recent history was watching an episode of Gotham when Alfred suddenly punches a chick and starts shooting guys with a gun. So unexpected! I'm liking this show overall.

Lee I dont really remember.  Ive not watched the final season. Got all the episodes saved to binge watch on vacation in 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It looks rubbish.

Its not but BFG is.

On 10/9/2017 at 8:30 PM, bollemanneke said:

GOT S7 finale.

Spoiler

What was Baelish's ultimate master plan?

Spoiler

I don't think that Littlefinger had a master plan so much as a modus operandi.

The essence of his overall motives can be gleaned from two things that he said early in the show. One is his assertion (made to Varys) that "The climb is all there is". The other is a declaration that he made (to two of his employees) regarding the noble classes: "I'm not going to fight them; I'm going to fuck them". His modus operandi was covertly to instigate conflict between other players leading to a state of chaos (and the downfall of many of those others) within which his talent for improvisation allowed him continually to improve his own status.

The opportunity to expand his sphere of influence into the North (through Sansa) ran into problems when Jon was named King, and his subsequent moves designed to sway the Northern lords towards Sansa in Jon's absence were imperiled by the unexpected return of Bran and Arya, both of whom were impervious to Littlefinger's manipulation. Perceiving Arya as a particular threat, he set about helping the pre-existing antipathy between the sisters blossom into full-on conflict, presumably hoping that this would at least nullify Arya's influence and, at best, see her removed from the picture. He said that he was a betting man; unfortunately for him, this particular gamble didn't pay off. 

Several episodes in to Bates Motel. I still like it. Norman Bates has got these hot babes throwing themselves at him and it's like he doesn't even care. What a legend.

Every TV show I watch these days is about murder and crime and general immorality. Even Archie comics. We are truly a sick demented people. And we freak out when this stuff becomes reality. Sick fucks.

Anyway, back to watching. The deputy has the girl locked in the basement and the brother involved with guarding the pot field is the closest thing to a good guy.

Norman has the hots for that horrible blonde, then that chick with the oxygen tank becomes a serial pest, and then his teacher starts throwing herself at him! What the fuck? I always thought Norman's problem was his mother was so possessive, she deprived him of relationships and intervened so heavily, he wasn't allowed to have sex. But Vera Farmiga is pretty sexy herself, so she lets Norman get away with whatever. Even she's aware he's mad.

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Every TV show I watch these days is about murder and crime and general immorality. Even Archie comics. We are truly a sick demented people. And we freak out when this stuff becomes reality. Sick fucks.

I did notice recently that a lot of "Glden Age" type tv revolves around picking acting like dicks or doing awful things.

Even Star Trek seems to be kinda like that now.

It's a trend I'm starting to tire off.  I don't want to watch any more shows about criminals for a while, I think I want something more sci-fi next

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I think I want something more sci-fi next

I can recommend The Expanse as solid pulp sci-fi mystery viewing. Not a masterpiece, but very entertaining. Also very dark though. I'm kinda tired of Dark.

Yea it's been on my shortlist for a while. With Mr Robot coming back last night and Mindhunters dropping tomorrow might be a bit till we get to something else

Characters that are often off putting like that  can make their show tedious to watch.

All shows are soaps. Some like Mad Men and Breakimg Bad are just more obvious.

Btw Will and Grace is already hitting its stride in just its 3rd episode.

I recently started Takahata's Anne of Green Gables. I actually like it a lot. It's kind of annoying trying to read the subtitles and pay attention visually though, cause Anne talks so freaking much. The animation is pretty good, and the show makes use of the fact that it's animated when Anne daydreams in non intrusive but unique ways. I'm excited to watch more.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

All shows are soaps. Some like Mad Men and Breakimg Bad are just more obvious.

Btw Will and Grace is already hitting its stride in just its 3rd episode.

You see people talking and you think it's a soap. You don't know what soap is, Joey. Look it up, will ya. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bold & beautiful

Wrong about Breaking Bad; it is a Shakespearean epic. Mad Men is absolutely a soap opera though, I'm watching it at the moment. The only slight distinction is MM is really about one character, Don Draper. But the standard soap opera tropes are otherwise all over it, and it's often casually implausible, like serialised soap operas are. No other soap has the style, visual flair and swagger of Mad Men, though. It's basically the ultimate refinement of the glossy soap opera. 

So only Steffy remains, the girl on the right. The guy on the left played Thomas, but he's been replaced by a new actor. The older woman with the bad facelift, Hunter Tylo left ages ago. And of course Ridge, played by Ronn Moss in that image, has been replaced by Thorsten Kaye.

You need to update the image!

I think the non-soap TV series with the strongest soap elements is probably Game Of Thrones. Check it out, Drax, you might like it more than you think. It's The Bold & Beautiful but with higher production values and vistas.

22c0103a00187b2e9f4613b5d4b383b9--game-o

You can even buy dragon eggs of soap.

36 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I think the non-soap TV series with the strongest soap elements is probably Game Of Thrones. Check it out, Drax, you might like it more than you think.

He tried. He didn't understand what was going on.

2 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I didn't like it.

Jealous that a fellow little person got such a prominent role?

Dinklage is proud of his height. So should you be.

Soap, dragons, chicks and vistas ... What's not to like, Drax? The only thing that bothers me sometimes in GOT is characters telling stories. However, for you, it might be the series' saving grace. 

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Soap, dragons, chicks and vistas ... What's not to like, Drax? The only thing that bothers me sometimes in GOT is characters telling stories. However, for you, it might be the series' saving grace. 

It's too popular, too widely liked, and too many people watch it. I don't want to conform to the crowd, and the show's boring.

2 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

It's too popular, too widely liked, and too many people watch it. I don't want to conform to the crowd, and the show's boring.

A few years ago you said you didnt really understand it. It was too complicated.

16 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Says the man who thinks Westworld is pure Golden Age TV gold. :sarcasm:

You can't even remember what you posted yesterday, let alone an obscure post I made years ago!

I can remember many things very well! Usually only trivial and unimportant stuff though.

Westworld is better than Game of Thrones.

I'm sure it is to the average viewer who prefers regular network TV. That person would feel right at home with Westword. Personally I think it's way beneath HBO. Really, Westworld feels like a CBS  or NBC show. 

46 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm sure it is to the average viewer who prefers regular network TV. That person would feel right at home with Westword. Personally I think it's way beneath HBO. Really, Westworld feels like a CBS  or NBC show. 

But...but... Hopkins and Harris? JJ and Nolan!

Just now, Stefancos said:

But...but... Hopkins and Harris? JJ and Nolan!

Well, a few people tried to warn me and said I could watch it for Hopkins. But even Hopkins is almost a caricature of himself. Personally the only character that I bought into was:

58458d7e65edfed50a8b4dc3-1920

Without Dolores the show would be LOST.