What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

19 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm talking about the last season on my Netflix. The one where Norman trashes the big LCD TV and tries to take his own life and that of his mother. 

bates-motel-006_0.jpg

And so the tragedy starts ...

This makes sense. That's season 4. And we are in agreement then. That's the show's best season.

I don't think you'll like season 5 (the final season) very much.

Back to Gotham.

The Penguin is gay? Alright. Here's an example of the "gay agenda" which might just seem bizarre and pointless out of context. It's actually brilliant. The relationship between Penguin and Riddler is perhaps the best on the show. For sure, Penguin is the best character. He's a better interpretation of a funny book character than most I've seen. Anyway, back to the gay thing. In this universe, for whatever reason, while everyone betrays the Penguin, the Riddler remains loyal to him up to this point. Ed screws over everyone. But not the Penguin. He gains Penguin's respect and they share perhaps the best friendship. It's adorable that Penguin's in love with him.

Been watching Mad Men lately, whenever I get the chance. Just got to the lawnmower episode in season 3. Totally caught me off guard!! I was cracking up!

Yea, this is my first time. I've had failed attempts committing to the first season before but decided to stick through with it. I was officially sold on the second season, and those dreamy last episodes. And now I'm really enjoying the third season's rhythm. 

Finally managed to finish Mindhunter.  Colossal waste of time spent on this boring, stupid show.

The main character is such an incompetent douche, it’s painful to watch.  And the story never really becomes anything interesting.

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Stick to Star Trek!

You thought where they took Holden's character was interesting?  You found the end of the season in some way rewarding?

I watch many of the critically celebrated shows, The Handmaid's Tale and Fargo, among many others, are particular favorites.  Mindhunter certainly is not.

It has its moments, and I enjoyed the finale. But in the end, it's a load of window dressing for a procedural without much to say really. I too prefer the other shows you listed there.

My experience of the last few episodes in particular was the show just rubbing my face in what a cowardly, incompetent fuckwad Holden was for no apparent reason.  There was no interesting point being made through him.  I don't think a main character being unlikable makes a show bad, but it certainly isn't a good thing in and of itself.

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You thought where they took Holden's character was interesting?  You found the end of the season in some way rewarding?

Yes, Holden is a very interesting character (he's completely open-minded but too obsessive and ambitious for his own good) and it was a very rewarding finale (when he finally realized, almost paying with his life, that he went in too deep). Mindhunter is one of the more intelligent TV series of the moment, certainly not something anyone can write. Love the cinematography and the music too, of course.

The music was in no way notable.  It does what all the prestige TV shows do these days.  A nerdy, too-full-of-himself music supervisor picks a relatively obscure *but not too obscure* classic pop song and they just stick it over some montage shots at the end of the episode.  Breaking Bad was king of that trope.

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, Holden is a very interesting character (he's completely open-minded but too obsessive and ambitious for his own good) and it was a very rewarding finale (when he finally realized he went in too deep). 

This was what they were going for, yes. But it was translated less successfully on screen. The finale was done well though. There should have been more rewarding character work like that final conversation.

However, where you see "intelligence", I see style over substance. But it is just the first season. I would be curious to see if they find their footing in the next one.

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The music was in no way notable.  It does what all the prestige TV shows do these days.  A nerdy, too-full-of-himself music supervisor picks a relatively *but not too obscure* classic pop song and they just stick it over some montage shots at the end of the episode.  Breaking Bad was kind of that trope.

That's how you experienced it. The music downplayed instead of dramatized the events. I love that. 

17 minutes ago, KK said:

However, where you see as "intelligence", I see style over substance. 

Why was the dialogue not intelligent (slick!) or the subject matter not intelligent? Not only did I think the show sounded mature and experienced, I also felt respected as a mature, experienced and intelligent viewer. :) 

And yes, it looks stylish (but never distractingly so), which doesn't hurt, IMO. 

Curb Your Enthusiasm 9x06 Namaste

Another really funny one!  Not as great as the outright classics of the last two weeks, but still very good, with tons of little funny moments throughout.  Funniest bit was probably the guy whose car Larry hit coming to his house and Leon answering :lol:  Really enjoyed Lauren Graham's character too.  

I wonder if they'll circle back to the Ted dating Cheryl subplot soon

The Orville pilot.

Holy shit that felt more like Next Gen era Star Trek than the latest actual Star Trek did. I mean, this blew Discovery away for sheer entertainment value!

And the cheesy full orchestral music in every scene... wow!

Really impressive stuff. Will finish.

If you liked the pilot for all those reasons, you're certain to like the rest of the season that's aired so far too, for sure!

BTW, you haven't posted any thoughts on this week's Curb yet, have you?

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

The Orville pilot.

Holy shit that felt more like Next Gen era Star Trek than the latest actual Star Trek did. I mean, this blew Discovery away for sheer entertainment value!

And the cheesy full orchestral music in every scene... wow!

Really impressive stuff. Will finish.

Discovery only did one attempt at a "fun, entertaining" episode so far. And it was quite nice. But yes, i'm sure The Orville will be far better casual TV entertainment. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

BTW, you haven't posted any thoughts on this week's Curb yet, have you?

After the wobbly two installments which followed the brill pilot, it has been business as usual ever since and this week's was no exception. As I said the other day, this is classic Curb from top bottom. I'm still amazed by that tbh, I can't get over how seamlessly this update slots in with the old shows. It's not supposed to happen. 

I hope Larry is already writing the next ten.

pilot?  A pilot is the first episode of a show, not the first episode of a season.

Yea, its been really really good.  Looking forward to more Funkhauser next week

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

pilot?  A pilot is the first episode of a show, not the first episode of a season.

Oh yeah I don't know why I typed that. But do you correct people about obvious things in real life too, Jay? I bet you do it all the time don't you.

Just watched the Suitcase episode in the 4th season of Mad Men. Immensely satisfying payoff for the Draper/Peggy dynamic. So far season 4 has been quite strong in the character work department.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

Just watched the Suitcase episode in the 4th season of Mad Men. Immensely satisfying payoff for the Draper/Peggy dynamic. So far season 4 has been quite strong in the character work department.

Lee?

14 minutes ago, KK said:

Blimey you have blitzed this recently. Last week you were early into season 3 and I was two into S4. Today you're one ahead of me! Superb season though.

Watched the suitcase episode myself this evening, it's a bit of sublime one. I thought Duck was gonna give Don a black eye! Hilarious, but pathetic. And quite moving, in the end. Peggy and Don together for a whole episode too, an engrossing treat.

The relationships in this are Jimmy and Chuck level.