What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Yea, finally had some time off, so I did some binging over the weekend. 3rd season had me pretty hooked.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

The relationships in this are Jimmy and Chuck level.

Yes! If anything, season 4 seems to be a testament to that. Aside from the fresh new and sleek setting, all the characters seem to be pushed to edges we haven't seen before. Draper's drinking affecting his cool composure at a pitch meeting after winning his award was a great example.

And Hamm's clearly a real pro as Draper, Elisabeth Moss' Peggy Olsen has been the real revelation here.

Been catching up on Game of Thrones. Just finished episode 6 of the latest season... The one where the group of warrior are stranded on ice and surrounded. Well the production values are there in full swing now and you can see loads of money were spent on CGI. But by God the writing for this episode was terrible. It's like time and distance mean nothing. 

The first 3 seasons were immaculate in how entertaining the pulpy power play drama was. It's been downhill and the occasional sideways stroll since then. It's still entertaining for sure, and once in a while it cooks up a fantastic episode. But am I the only one who doesn't actually want to see winter coming? I mean what's there to see? It's just another zombie apocalypse. Much better entertainment value when they stuck to brothers plotting against brothers and brothers fucking sisters. 

Was season 4 where they began diverging from the source material? Because that was when it started to lose its shine. 

20 minutes ago, Hurmm said:

Was season 4 where they began diverging from the source material? Because that was when it started to lose its shine. 

No.  The first 4 seasons adapt the original trilogy of books from the 90s, the original 3 novels that were tightly paced and well received.  His bloated books 4 and 5 got heavily modified and adapted as seasons 5 and 6, and this current season you're in is now very far past where his published books have ended.

The second episode of The Orville wasn't as snappy with the laughs as the pilot this time, but it was still a quality episode nonetheless due to the sharp parody writing which totally succeeds in apeing Star Trek with remarkable accuracy (even down to the tedious musical swell on the ad break dilemmas) and in creating genuinely novel plot ideas with smart commentary insights running alongside. There's a real skill to the way these satirical storylines unfold, the cheesy cliches and the knowing nods to standard Star Trek tropes working completely naturally together, a lot of care has been taken to get the pitch and pacing just right, so that when the payoffs inevitably come they're satisfying precisely because they were predictable - but not without some comical surprises either.

If it keeps up like this then I hope this thing runs for years and years.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

The second episode of The Orville wasn't as snappy with the laughs as the pilot this time, but it was still a quality episode nonetheless due to the sharp parody writing which totally succeeds in apeing Star Trek with remarkable accuracy (even down to the tedious musical swell on the ad break dilemmas) and in creating genuinely novel plot ideas with smart commentary insights running alongside. There's a real skill to the way these satirical storylines unfold, the cheesy cliches and the knowing nods to standard Star Trek tropes working completely naturally together, a lot of care has been taken to get the pitch and pacing just right, so that when the payoffs inevitably come they're satisfying precisely because they were predictable - but not without some comical surprises either.

If it keeps up like this then I hope this thing runs for years and years.

You're a closet Trekkie, mate.

I don't know if I can be bothered to continue on with Netflix's Star Trek. I left it about a week ago mid way through episode four after succumbing to sleep. The Orville is the more entertaining Star Trekish show anyway.

19 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I watched my fair share of random TNG episodes at tea time back in the nineties, usually because I'd already sat down to eat and left the remote on the arm of the other chair.

So the truth is starting to come out at last.

I thought I'd mentioned this to you a couple of times in the past tbh. In the years after I left school Star Trek or The Simpsons dominated the tea time TV slots in the UK for a good decade. Passive watches for all.

I'm not going to watch this show, but I just watched this clip and man Freddie Highmore is a terrible actor.  I know he has, ahem, enthusiastic fans here on the board but this is truly awful.

I've never been able to take him seriously as an adult actor though.

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Different strokes, I thought he was pretty bad in that.  One of several reasons I quit that show.

(I do concede he could have gotten better after halfway through season2 when I quit)

You thought Freddie Highmore was pretty bad in Bates Motel? Ooookay ..

Selina & Drax will eat you alive!

I missed an episode of Criminals Minds from several weeks back. Alex feel free to critcize but also tell me why my little pea brain doesnt understand the reasons it is such a bad show? Im sure your superior intelligence can simplify it for me and set me on a course for betterment. 

Curb Your Enthusiasm 9x08 Never Wait for Seconds!

Pretty good!  I was enjoying all the plots, and then when suddenly they brought back the Fatwa plot in a big way, it was great!  When that guy was interviewing old characters like Krazee Eyes et all, it was gold!  Such a great surprise, glad it wasn't ruined ahead of time.  The tribunal was pretty good and I expected Larry to mess it all up, it was funnier that he made it out and then messed up with the driver with the whole tip thing.  Good stuff once again!

The two-scene joke with him not wanting to see people making out didn't really connect to anything else.  Did I miss something?

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I missed an episode of Criminals Minds from several weeks back. Alex feel free to critcize but also tell me why my little pea brain doesnt understand the reasons it is such a bad show? Im sure your superior intelligence can simplify it for me and set me on a course for betterment. 

Alex secretly likes The Bold and the Beautiful anyway.