What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Nearing the end of Mad Men season 4, Don's daughter turned up at his work, poor girl, and the US government is asking about Draper after the North American Aviation contract needed to get security clearance on him. Holy crap this is amazing.

Lucifer (not by choice). Basically a police procedural, which I'm already inclined to dislike, with Lucifer as the main character. Of course he has a British accent, and somehow Neil Gaiman surprisingly is involved with this thing. Just awful. The kind of slick TV with completely unbelievable characters acting in completely unbelievable ways that I pretty much loathe.

I'll finally cue up Stranger Things season 2 tonight.

Wrapped up the Mad Men season 4 finale. Hmm. I have mixed feelings about it, but I'm going to wait and see how they flesh it out in the next season before I pass judgement.

Finished Silicon Season 4. Still funny, but not as funny as the first couple of seasons. What it matches the earlier seasons though, is how it still is cyclical and recyclable as fuck. Have any of the characters progressed at all from season 1? Has the story changed at all? I don't think so. This isn't a necessarily a bad thing, but when the quality of the comedy falters it does seem easy to fall back on this (valid) criticism. It also makes the show feel quite disposable. 

I liked T.J. Miller as Erlich, and was disappointed when I read he wouldn't return. But come of think of it, his character was wearing thin (but not worn out yet) and it was probably a good idea on his part to depart. Actually, the same can be said of all the main characters... Especially in the last few episodes of the season where a certain staleness set in. I'm sure season 5 will still be good, but this is a series that's at risk of drifting off into nothingness. 

Yeah Jason raised some points about the formula which I understood, but personally have little issue with. Surely the big joke is how they're destined to always fail? Part of what makes Silicon Valley so watchable is the anticipation of the monumental screw up, it's always so maddeningly disappointing but quite spectacular in how the well laid plans fall apart. Hilarity ensues. And then the glimmer of hope appears for the next big idea... rinse and repeat. I'm okay with that. 

Assuming that is the intended formula, I don't think Silicon Valley is all that different to other TV comedy series. It's just sharper and more deliciously amusing than the majority of them. 

I watched probably 8 or 10 episodes and found it ranging from sometimes hilarious to much more often OK-ish. It's much too broad and tame in how it attacks its satirical targets to make it a required viewing. Which is a typical problem of shows aiming a the biggest possible audience. 

Very few comedies I consider "required", but I'll still tune into my investments for the opportunity to have another belly laugh or marvel at another farcical catastrophe. Where TV comedy is concerned, I'm an opportunistic participant. I only need one decent laugh to justify my 30 mins tuning in. I still regard Silicon Valley as being top tier anyway; indeed at the moment I only place Curb and Alan Partridge above it. I haven't seen Veep. 

Your thoughts echo mine, @Hurmm. I have no problems at all with comedies where the characters don't progress and it's like a reset button every week, but Silicon Valley seemed like it wasn't that kind of show for a while but season 4 showed that it really is. It's still one of the goddamned funniest shows being made, but I can't help but want the actual story they are telling to go somewhere.

Orville's actually getting pretty decent ratings and has already gotten a second season. I think I read it's the third most watched "drama" on FOX.  It may make it after all.

Curb Your Enthusiasm 9x09 The Shucker

Had some funny parts but not one of the best of the season.  I did enjoy how Larry and Bridget's relationship ended (Long Balls Larry was classic!), Steven Weber was great as the shucker, and Lin-Manuel Miranda was really great too.  The best part of the episode, or at least the part I laughed the most at, was when he gave Larry the classic Larry stare-down :lol:

The ending was predictable, and I thought it would be the end of Miranda's involvment, making him it a 1 episode bit.  I was surprised to see him again in the preview for next week!

Yeah decent episode but not many gags. If you ever watch the whole of Curb back, you'll find there's loads of similar episodes like this.

My missus was in tears over Leon and his scarf/pocket square same family line though. 

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I actually watched that too a while back.  It's got some beautiful sequences of animation but I found it dragged the story out unnecessarily.

Really? I thought it felt a little rushed at places. Especially near the end

Godless, the new Netflix western series.

Mostly brilliant, though with a somewhat spoilery qualification.

Spoiler

The final episode didn't feel up to the standard of the preceding ones (on a first viewing, at least). In particular, the climactic action sequence had some really cheesy stuff in it.

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Godless, the new Netflix western series. Mostly brilliant ...

Reveal hidden contents

Gave up on it after only 10 or 20 minutes! Every character looked like he/she was carrying the weight of the world on his/her shoulders. It might be the right medicine for Koray, though.

Didn't Fuller leave Discovery so he could concentrate on American Gods?

Huh.  Well this doesn't bode well. I had a mixed feelings about Season 1, but the show definitely had its own voice and style, and it was all Fuller.

That said, if it's true that the show ballooned to a GOT level budget, that just isn't sustainable unless you're as big as GOT.

Jesus Christ!  The best showrunner in the business can't keep a series to save his life!

Well, at least we got three sweet, sweet seasons of Hannibal

I still have to check that one out. American Gods was largely meh, with some occasionally interesting visuals.