What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Damn! I was interested in American Gods. Amazing Stories doesn't sound like Fuller (then again, neither does Star Trek).

What do you mean?  Fuller is a devoted Trekkie who was a writer/producer on both Star Trek Voyager and Deep Space Nine?

Here he is cosplaying in a Trek uniform.  Giant Trek nerd.

bryan-fuller-nerd.jpg

Charlize Theron was the guest star of the Orville episode I watched last night (didn't Star Trek at one time do big name guest stars?). It was yet another decent installment, a predicable outcome for sure, but the romance was so corny I was captivated just enough to ignore how improbable it was simply because I was entertained by the jokes and the characters' interactions throughout in this very undemanding of TV shows. The scenes and storylines are so easy to relax and veg out to in this, even my other half who generally hates sci-fi is happy to tune in. 

The repetition in the score can air a bit too much on the side of cloying at times (I'm sure it's by design), but other times the music is really good! There's was another set piece cue in this episode which was a bit of a whopper, surely inspired directly by Williams' own Asteroid Field from TESB. It was cracking good fun to hear, and just bloody refreshing actually to hear such spirited and unfashionable underscore in a modern TV series. Mixed loud, the music really goes for it. It's very obvious that MacFarlane is big on his orchestral soundtracks. 

I enjoyed Charlize's performance very much!

Almost made me want to finally watch A  Million Ways To Die In The West!

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

(didn't Star Trek at one time do big name guest stars?)

Not really. Loads of TV/film character actors, but not a lot of big name movie stars. The 60's and 90's werent really the decades for that sorta thing.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Not really. Loads of TV/film character actors, but not a lot of big name movie stars. The 60's and 90's werent really the decades for that sorta thing.

Whoopi Goldberg is the exception that proves the rule, and she was more like a recurring character anyway, but still, she was at the peak of her movie career when she deigned to appear in a television show.  I'm trying to think of high profile guest stars of TNG... and it's funny the highest profile one I can think of was Leonard Nimoy, famous for Trek!  There were a few that went on to be famous after.

I guess MacFarlane is a cooler draw to actors that Roddenberry was. Also, Jonathan Frakes directed the episode. 

Who knew then that Star Trek would return, but under the MacFarlane name! 

Haha, I forgot about Liam Neeson!  He was good, as always.  Charlize and Rob Lowe do very well, too

I've been loving the Orville and all these guest stars. Charlize Theron is multi-talented; she always works well in comedy (Arrested Development!), excels at action and of course can do excellent dramatic roles too. And I was impressed by Rob Lowe in the Orville too!

Anyone else watching The Punisher on Netflix? I'm half way through. I adore Jon Bernthal but I'm feeling this suffers from similar flaws to pretty much every other Marvel Netflix show and I'm struggling with getting totally into it.

On 12/1/2017 at 8:26 AM, Stefancos said:

I guess James Cromwell doing a viewscreen cameo in Enterprise counts.

You're forgetting that by the time James Cromwell reprised his iconic role as Zefram Cochrane in the Enterprise pilot, he had already appeared as Hanok in the Deep Space nine episode Starship Down, and had two different part in TNG. He played Jaglom Shrek in the two-part episode Birthright, and Prime Minister Nayrokin The Hunted.

---

Here are 70 famous people who guest starred in the Star Trek franchise. Even if you disqualify the movies for, Um, not being television shows (goodbye Kirstie Alley, Christian Slater, Christopher Lloyd, Kom Cattrall, etc.) you're still left with a very impressive list. 

http://www.warpedfactor.com/2014/11/25-famous-people-who-guest-starred-on.html?m=1

Heck, this list ignores Professor Moriarty, aka that guy from The Nanny, and his Countess, aka the doctor from seaQuest Season 1. Oh well. 

Now if someone wants to dissect this list into people who were famous before they appeared on Star Trek (like Kelsey Grammer and Kurtwood Smith) and people who used Star Trek as a small role early in their career before their big break (Teri Hatcher, Ashley Judd, Kirstie Alley, etc.), be my guest. But Voyager was a revolving door of guest stars. 

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I didn't forget at all. But all those performances are before Babe, which made Cromwell a well known actor.

Babe was before First Contact.

Edit: Nevermind misinterpreted what you were saying.  You meant his DS9 and TNG appearances were before Babe, which is correct

1cSgO7G.jpg

This appeared on the front page of my Netflix tonight, apparently it's the first German language 'Netflix Original' and was made available Dec 1. The promo image had me sold instantly, I'm not gonna lie. I'll probably watch this next week now instead of Stranger Things. 

Any Amazon original series you guys recommend? I downloaded the Prime Video app to my PS3 and watched the first episode of Woody Allen's Crisis in Six Scenes (first ep was free). Just want to know what I'm in for if I commit to the service.

20 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I've got that on pre-order at Amazon.

Be careful, Drax, Season 3 of Twin Peaks isn't about pleasuring the fans of the original series. It isn't simply an 'encore'. Lynch is aiming for something different here. The soap feeling (let's face it, the reason why you probably like the show) is mostly gone. A warned man is worth two! (a Dutch and Flemish proverb).

Alex

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Be careful, Drax, Season 3 of Twin Peaks isn't about pleasuring the fans of the original series. It isn't simply an 'encore'. Lynch is aiming for something different here. The soap feeling (let's face it, the reason why you probably like the show) is mostly gone. A warned man is worth two! (a Dutch and Flemish proverb).

Alex

I liked Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive, so I think I have an idea of what I'm in for.

12 hours ago, KK said:

Saw the trailer for that. Looks like a German mix of the OA and Stranger Things

High production values but the first two episodes i found only so-so (you tagged the prototypes already). Concept stuff like this requires tight writing and engaging characters to prevent you from looking under the hood too closely to see the machinations at work and both are lacking here (also another case where the overly eclectic use of music is a huge mistake, as it distances you from the proceedings instead of drawing you in).

There is a brilliant recent german series, though. It's called 'Babylon Berlin' (Tom Tykwer had a hand in this). It concerns itself with 'Berlin, the epicenter of political and social changes in the Golden Twenties', as IMDB puts it. Don't know if that landed in foreign streaming services yet but it's the real deal.

12 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Any Amazon original series you guys recommend? I downloaded the Prime Video app to my PS3 and watched the first episode of Woody Allen's Crisis in Six Scenes (first ep was free). Just want to know what I'm in for if I commit to the service.

Dunno if it differs from country to country, but in the US you can see the first two seasons of Mr Robot and Schitt's Creek on it, those are good. We haven't watched any shows they've made themelves yet.

Curb Your Enthusiasm 9x10 Fatwa!

Pretty good ending to a pretty good season.  The wedding scene with the interpreter was finally when I started laughing out loud after more subdued amusement up until then.  The Fatwa! music number that opened the episode was a pretty great interpretation of what a Lin Miranda actually into this as a play would come up with, and he was really good throughout the whole episode.  Casey Wilson as the stand in was great too, actually all the guest actors were really on point this week (Nick Offerman as Cody, the weird swinger couple, etc).

The very last scene was pretty good too.

The only thing I don't get about the season at all is the pairing up of Ted Danson with Cheryl.  I assumed when they initiated it, it would have some kind of payoff as the season progressed.  But no, nothing at all.  How odd.

Overall, feels like they'll be coming back for more in a year or two, I figure.

It was sparingly good here and there and there was one very big laugh during the Funkhauser over-apology (absolutely hilarious), but I thought it was a substandard episode overall and actually a particularly bad finale to a season. Lin-Manuel Miranda was difficult to stomach (he was no Michael Jay Fox, Ricky Gervais or David Schwimmer). The last episode was poorly put together which in the end felt very underwhelming by the last send-off scene. Oh well, hopefully it'll be back next year, because Curb delivered overall when you look at all the ten episodes. I think there were three weaker installments, which had their minor highlights, and I doubt I'll watch anything else this year that I find funnier. 

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

I doubt I'll watch anything else this year that I find funnier. 

I can't think of any other show I watched in 2017 that I laughed more at than Curb, for sure.

Schitt's Creek and the third season of Angie Tribeca are closest

Black Mirror does Orville ;)

Although of course this looks to be more an actual Trek parody (which everyone thought the Orville would be and isn't).

This being Black Mirror I'm sure it will subvert the Trek style in some fucked up way

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel episode 1

The missus and I finally got to this last night and I'm so glad we did.  I loved it so much.  Great, great pilot, can't to watch the rest.  We're both huge Gilmore fans, though.  Anyone who loved Gilmore Girls or Bunheads needs to watch this.