What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Binging Stanger Things. Finished S1 in the wee hours, now into S2. 

I'm amused that damn near every pop or rock song is from the 80s, like the only music heard at any given time is what's contemporary. Okay, now that Winona Ryder is making out with Sean Astin, that's an oldie. Never mind. 

I have this strange craving for Domino's Pizza. I feel like if I don't order it now, life might pass me by. 

Watching a Documentary on Stalin.  What an evil man, and not the smartest man in the room with Churchill and Roosevelt. His criticism of the British navy was laughable. 

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm currently watching the new Netflix's Lost in Space.

But... is it...real... music that I hear in this series?  Real music with a melody... and not just background ambiance music?

Oh wow.  :o

Watch The Orville, it has actual music everywhere.

The Orville is great!

The first 2-3 episodes don't reveal how good it is, they were subpar.  After them it gets real good real fast.

LhfT145.jpg

Started watching a couple of months ago, didn't get into it. Almost written off by me as being another "edgy" teen drama, it was a bit ponderous and obvious with its commentary smarts (for anyone over the age of 25), but then its conveniently consumable form (at 20 mins per episode) saw it back up on our living room TV when I couldn't really settle on anything else.

That was lucky, because after a distinct but directionless opening, something happens later which fires a rocket up the story's arse and what follows is one of those great occurrences where one can feel a marked improvement with every subsequent episode. By the end (just 8 short installments), this comic book adaptation, overlooked on its initial run at Channel 4 but once again picked up by and earning itself a following on Netflix, was easily worthy of my time and I'd rank it favourably against other higher profile but lesser quality shows doing the rounds. 

A western in Surrey England, veering wildly between moments of humour, quiet and often cynical poetry (break out performance Jessica Barden as Elyssa narrates events with sharp and tragic insight) to sudden graphic violence, The End of the F***ing World is what would happen if Quentin Tarantino and Mike Leigh teamed up to remake Bonnie and Clyde.

4.5/5

gApipJh.jpg

Crazyhead. Very whacky, very British horror comedy by the Misfits creator. Gets a bit lost in its plot after the first two episodes or so, but I think they could still have made it work for another series if it hadn't been cancelled.

My kind of odd humour.

The Terror, first episode. Not great but watchable. Quite boring actually - 45 minutes felt like 90. Visually, it's all over the place, which I suppose is to be somewhat expected for a bigger budgeted maiden voyage (arf!) of a new show, but given it is an AMC production, I still expected better levels of consistency. The exterior shots are generally of a filmic quality, looking awfully handsome and expensive, but then we go back below deck and we're in daytime TV soap territory as the rambling leads disagree amongst themselves about the next plan of action (in a daring and doomed mission to find a sea lane through the Artic, while fending off the presumed psychological challenges that come with it). The differences in the quality of the photography from scene to scene are immersion breaking, but I'll overlook this aspect if proceedings improve in the next episodes - which I've heard they do, thankfully.

By the way, for those who haven't seen the show yet but have their preconceptions of what sort of show it is based on the title; well "The Terror" is actually the name of the ship. I liked that.

The_Terror_Feat.jpg

Best news of the year! Fincher is gonna keep on directing Mindhunter and he is going to be joined by Andrew (The Assasination Of Jesse James) Dominik. 

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Best news of the year! Fincher is gonna keep on directing Mindhunter and and is going to be joined by Andrew (The Assasination Of Jesse James) Dominik. 

Andrew Dominik who is the next Denis Villeneuve who is the next Christopher Nolan who is the next Spielberg?

Karol

On 19/4/2018 at 4:58 AM, Quintus said:

The Terror, first episode. Not great but watchable. Quite boring actually - 45 minutes felt like 90. Visually, it's all over the place, which I suppose is to be somewhat expected for a bigger budgeted maiden voyage (arf!) of a new show, but given it is an AMC production, I still expected better levels of consistency. The exterior shots are generally of a filmic quality, looking awfully handsome and expensive, but then we go back below deck and we're in daytime TV soap territory as the rambling leads disagree amongst themselves about the next plan of action (in a daring and doomed mission to find a sea lane through the Artic, while fending off the presumed psychological challenges that come with it). The differences in the quality of the photography from scene to scene are immersion breaking, but I'll overlook this aspect if proceedings improve in the next episodes - which I've heard they do, thankfully.

By the way, for those who haven't seen the show yet but have their preconceptions of what sort of show it is based on the title; well "The Terror" is actually the name of the ship. I liked that.

The_Terror_Feat.jpg

I tried reading the book years ago but it was so fucking boring.

So do you... ;)

On 6.12.2017 at 10:49 PM, Disco Stu said:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel episode 1

The missus and I finally got to this last night and I'm so glad we did.  I loved it so much.  Great, great pilot, can't to watch the rest. 

Indeed a great show! Can't wait for the second season.

PV_The+Looming+Tower_S1++++2018+Amazon.j

Just when you thought that 'House of Cards' and 'Homeland' were the upper limit of dramatized current politics, at least counting production values and visibility, 'The Looming Tower' happily gives lie to this notion. Depicting how the rivalry between the CIA and FBI inadvertently set the stage for the tragedy of 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan during a time when America was more concerned about White House interns giving the Prez blowjobs (then a scandal, now probably a job requirement), it has an ace cast (Jeff Daniels, Bill Camp, Peter Sarsgaard and Tahar Rahim, in particular, but it's really well casted all around) and a snappy, suspenseful rhythm - what's more, it's funny along the way, a huge plus in times of the leaden solemnity. It's also the first series Amazon pulled from their german channels because the dub was so bad that the audience wrote complaints in the thousands, so we got the original back.

• 2 weeks later...

The Terror, all episodes.

A phenomenal 'lost in the wilderness' thriller which becomes even more amazing when you discover afterwards, like I did, that this doomed expedition really happened. The supernatural monster which hunts the men may be fictional (this is an adaptation of a fictionalised novel which was based on the expedition), but pretty much everything else is established from discoveries made on subsequent search expeditions carried out over more than a hundred years to uncover what became of these lost souls. It's one of those stories where you research its history after watching, and feel your skin crawl in eerie morbidity as you read.

Two partnered Royal Navy ships, The Erebus and The Terror, tentatively picking their route through the uncharted frozen wastes of the Artic in search of a lucrative thoroughfare to the Asian markets, what becomes of their respective crews after becoming locked in the ice is a desperately grim drama of fear, camaraderie, mutiny, cannibalism and demise. But the characters and the cast are all of them absolutely superb; many of the regional accents of the British Isles are well represented here (laudable attention to detail from AMC), and the banter and interaction between them feels true and honest. As bleak as their prospects are, there's a forgivingly welcome kind of short hand in the way these officers and shipmates back one another up, at least until things begin to really fall apart.

Freezing temperatures are one thing, but as the mysterious and seemingly unstoppable creature on the edge of the frame stalks and thins their number, tensions are strained to unmanageable degrees and new, survivors alliances are formed. Watching the regimented hierarchy crumble over many long and harsh episodes is genuinely stressful, but you feel committed to it. There's a clever writing skill at work which offsets the hopeless viewing with "there's still a chance" in the form of characters which inspire a sort of resolute courage to continue in the men and the viewer albeit rather foolishly. But you understand it. The performances always convince, indeed it was so pleasing to see Mad Men's Jared Harris (the son of Richard) turn up in this, he's absolutely brilliant as the captain of the titular ship.

Do you have a thing for movies like The Edge? Jaws? Aguirre Wrath of God? Heck, are you big into your Moby Dick themes? If yes, then you must see The Terror. It's pretty much essential.

kiYZNNw.jpg

I dunno.  They've somehow managed to reduce Dinesh to a parody of himself this year.

The show's doing pretty fine without Erlich Bachman though, largely by just increasing Jin Yang's importance to the plot

Every sense of logic and realism is thrown out now, so it can get completely crazy. I love it!

Dinesh is totally different than he used to be.  The show is still one of the best comedies being made today, but it's not quite what it used to be

Right. Last night I got halfway through binge watching Stranger Things 2 and I think I'm ditching it.

I enjoyed season 1 well enough, but never thought the show lived up to its hype. It's certainly not as good as the press it gets, and I'm just starting to find it increasingly unoriginal and fatiguing to watch. I don't find any of the characters particularly compelling, and whatever the big mysteries are, I remain wholly uninterested in them. Even the nostalgia factor, manufactured as it was, isn't that strong for me. And on top of all that, I find Winona Ryder's character to be among the most annoying on television. The type of person I normally can't abide.

There's just way too many high quality shows that I don't have time to watch as it is, so yeah I'm out.

I just can't muster up the motivation to start that one up again. Maybe I'll leave it there, at the very unremarkable but enjoyable enough first season. Along with The Walking Dead, that'll be two shows I've abandoned.

Is The Terror done?  

On 5/8/2018 at 12:16 AM, Quintus said:

The Terror, all episodes.

A phenomenal 'lost in the wilderness' thriller which becomes even more amazing when you discover afterwards, like I did, that this doomed expedition really happened. The supernatural monster which hunts the men may be fictional (this is an adaptation of a fictionalised novel which was based on the expedition), but pretty much everything else is established from discoveries made on subsequent search expeditions carried out over more than a hundred years to uncover what became of these lost souls. It's one of those stories where you research its history after watching, and feel your skin crawl in eerie morbidity as you read.

Two partnered HMS ships, The Erebus and The Terror, tentatively picking their route through the uncharted frozen wastes of the Artic in search of a lucrative thoroughfare to the Asian markets, what becomes of their respective crews after becoming locked in the ice is a desperately grim drama of fear, camaraderie, mutiny, cannibalism and demise. But the characters and the cast are all of them absolutely superb; many of the regional accents of the British Isles are well represented here (laudable attention to detail from AMC), and the banter and interaction between them feels true and honest. As bleak as their prospects are, there's a forgivingly welcome kind of short hand in the way these officers and shipmates back one another up, at least until things begin to really fall apart.

Freezing temperatures are one thing, but as the mysterious and seemingly unstoppable creature on the edge of the frame stalks and thins their number, tensions are strained to unmanageable degrees and new, survivors alliances are formed. Watching the regimented hierarchy crumble over many long and harsh episodes is genuinely stressful, but you feel committed to it. There's a clever writing skill at work which offsets the hopeless viewing with "there's still a chance" in the form of characters which inspire a sort of resolute courage to continue in the men and the viewer albeit rather foolishly. But you understand it. The performances always convince, indeed it was so pleasing to see Mad Men's Jared Harris (the son of Richard) turn up in this, he's absolutely brilliant as the captain of the titular ship.

Do you have a thing for movies like The Edge? Jaws? Aguirre Wrath of God? Heck, are you big into your Moby Dick themes? If yes, then you must see The Terror. It's pretty much essential.

kiYZNNw.jpg

This is next for me! Love the book and have been looking forward to this for a while. Though I sort of wish it had premeired in winter. :)

Yea, I want to watch, but totally feels more like a winter show than a summer show.  

You're welcome. Just bear in mind it's a slow burn commitment and you'll be set. It is very deliberately gradual in how it unravels its suspense.

If you liked the Terror, you'll enjoy it. Branagh is fantastic as Shackleton, and the production values look quite good all things considered. I've always been fascinated with the story of the Endurance and really enjoyed it...pretty spot on as far as accuracy goes as well.

This won't exactly boost my reputation, but The Big Bang Theory used to be a guilty pleasure of mine. The last few seasons were terrible, I only watch because of some sense of obligation and the occasional slight chuckle. However, Young Sheldon is much better than it has any right to be. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing great, but just quirky and funny enough to rise above "meh" status. Oh, and it's not filmed live so there's proper editing and no irritating audience.

Now to get my status back up: after coming across some snippets on Youtube, I decided to binge Blackadder (2, 3, 4 and the specials) - I read about it and decided to skip the first series, something dirty and completely unheard of for me. 2 was pretty good, 3 was great, 4 could have been my favourite, but the binging may have hurt my appreciation for it, the constant comparisons and "I'd rather..."-s were starting to get a bit stale. However, I'm now utterly convinced Atkinson could take any word or name in the English language and make it hilarious by just pronouncing it. The ending of 4 came a bit out of nowhere and, being fervently anti-war, hit me hard emotionally.

The Cromwell special was OK, the Christmas Carol was great (I finally know what the hell @Skelly's profile picture is!), Back and Forth was not that good.

Now on to try A Bit of Fry and Laurie!

Alongside the expected 'Bosch' S4, spring brought the immensely watchable 'The Terror' and 'The Looming Tower' from Amazon. If they continue this run, they will outrun HBO soon (for me).

I watched the first episode of Ozark. Man, that cartel psycho boss is a cartoon character. Does this get better? Other aspects were a little more interesting.

I'd heard it was Breaking Bad-ish, which I can see. But I'm reminded that I've just watched my fill of crime/cartel in suburbia shows. I'll try a couple more before making a decision though.